Spring recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is the fishing on the mill pond what its cracked up to be? We came down to arrowhead campground last spring break(before i was certified) and set up and fished for a few hours and didnt catch a thing, the website boasts of world famous bream fishing but we couldn't do any good.

But I'll post up if we decide to come if everything gets done and i'm doin good and not struggling we'll probably come down and try vortex, cypress, and morrison, maybe some more.

There are fish out there, I can attest for that... I've never tried to catch any on line though...

A little update on the boat launch for Morrisons. I have spoken with a user of it and went to it. It is marked with a no trespassing sign. However, the people using it have no permits. I was told that as long as there is no rowdy behavior the owner does not care if it is used. He opens it early and closes it at dark. If you go down the road to the right instead of heading into Morrisons, it is the gate across form a little blue house. Would not be too bad of a swim to hit the basin. Just a heads up of what I found out this weekend.
Take your boat out to Cypress. Its a beautiful spring, IMO the nicest OW basin in Florida, very colorfull, lots of life. It even has a nice little cavern that doesn't silt up - just don't go too far in.

With a boat, you could dive the OW poritions of some of the mill pond caves. I would definately suggest not going in, as they are not OW friendly caves. Tight, extremely silty, and very unforgiving... The Mill Pond itself is typically spring water clear with lots of fishlife(bass, bream, carp, crawfish), turtles, ect. As an OW diver, I spent the day out there in OW having a ton of fun.

Morrison won't require a boat as long as the park opens up by then(doubtfull). There is a dirt launch a couple hundred yards down the run, but finding it may take a bit of time. I've found the dirt roads out there run all over the place criss-crossing each other without signs. Many of the roads are posted no tresspassing. Some aren't though...

Vortex won't flood, they have pumps to prevent the creek from backing into the spring. The OW section isn't as natural looking as other sites, but its worth a visit regardless. Its got a little cavern as well, just stay out of the cave and don't let the christmas tree lights temp you in there.

Good 'nough for me, hopefully we can get a Morrison contingent together during Spring-SpringFest :)

Thats what I was thinking. River level is getting better, but needs to drop a little more.

Hell, there might even be ambient light for a cavern dive at current levels. Dive it tomorrow before the storms come in Tuesday Night/Wednesday and screw it all back up!

We should carpool, I'm sure parking is very limited.

Carpooling would be the way to do it. Hopefully by springfest there will be a couple slack weeks of rain. If not, I am still game for it. Been out of the place too long.

So is the fishing on the mill pond what its cracked up to be? We came down to arrowhead campground last spring break(before i was certified) and set up and fished for a few hours and didnt catch a thing, the website boasts of world famous bream fishing but we couldn't do any good.

But I'll post up if we decide to come if everything gets done and i'm doin good and not struggling we'll probably come down and try vortex, cypress, and morrison, maybe some more.

I don't fish, but I have seen some pretty big fish in the pond. I used to think the sign at Arrowhead was a bunch of BS, but after the recent rains I got to see some of the world record fish in there. The problem was probably that you tried to catch them from land. You need a boat and you need to head into the trees.

We had the a and went to several places on the pond but we were using artifical baits thats the only thing i can figure we did wrong. We did see one of the biggest bass i've ever seen. We could see some fish but they just weren't interested.

Back
Top Bottom