Spring dives in Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loquat149

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live in Florida and do most of my summer diving in the Keys and the Caribbean. During the winter I dive the springs and caverns in north central Florida. I have family members that I visit every winter (Dec-Jan) in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and in the Hill Country (Kerrville). I'd be very interested to hear recommendations for spring dives in this part of Texas...particularly those in which winter time water temperatures are in the 70s degrees F.

I understand that San Marcos might be a good option, but know very little about it (I did make a night dive there about 15 yrs ago, but the depth was only about 10 feet).

Thanks,
Dave

Both the San Marcos and Comal rivers are spring-fed, ~70 degrees year-round and quite clear (most of the time), and are open to the public for shore dives. The Comal's in New Braunfels, which is about 15-20 minutes closer to Kerrville than San Marcos.

Aquarena Springs in San Marcos is a true "spring" dive and super-neato, but you have to take their certification course in order to dive there, and do at least one dive a year there to maintain your "active status".

Twin Lakes isn't too far from Dallas, and it's spring-fed too. All the north Texas folks know a lot about it, and I'm sure will chime in. I'm itching to go there myself to check it out. I think the surface waters get chilly in the wintertime there, however.

archman:
Twin Lakes isn't too far from Dallas, and it's spring-fed too. All the north Texas folks know a lot about it, and I'm sure will chime in. I'm itching to go there myself to check it out. I think the surface waters get chilly in the wintertime there, however.

Wrong one... :wink: Twin Lakes is just outside Houston. Clear Springs is just outside Dallas.

And, Yes, both do get rather chilly in the winter :ice:. Not the nice constant temp springs of San Marcos.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
Wrong one... :wink: Twin Lakes is just outside Houston. Clear Springs is just outside Dallas.
oops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom