spring dive/camp trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
planning on doing a camp/dive trip in the coming weekends. anyone interested? I'm looking into Manatee springs, but not sure still. any ideas? I'm looking for something with ehhhh life in it. I saw something on tv not too long ago about manatees, I forgot where they went, I believe it was peace river, but not sure, and it was just LOADED with fish in crystal clear water.

My guess is that you saw something on " King Spring " at Crystal River. Lots of manatees in the area, and plenty of fish in the clear water of the spring. Snook, Tarpon, Spadefish..........the list goes on. Nice dive, but not sure about camping in the area. Must be something in the general area I would think though.

that sounds like it. because on the show (it was "Be The Creature on NG) it did show a pretty hefty school of tarpon, which makes for some great filming. are they there year round? any idea on a good website or book about it? I don't think I've heard of it yet. thanks!

dutchfin:
My guess is that you saw something on " King Spring " at Crystal River. Lots of manatees in the area, and plenty of fish in the clear water of the spring. Snook, Tarpon, Spadefish..........the list goes on. Nice dive, but not sure about camping in the area. Must be something in the general area I would think though.

the tarpon (and other salt water fish) are around year-round, though i understand
they are more common in the winter.

the manatees, however, come in only for the winter, seeking the 70 degree water (the Gulf gets in the 50's). if you want to see manatees, you have to come by the end of
February or mid-March at the latest to make sure you see some. this winter has been
colder than usual, so you could call a few dive operators and see if they're still around
when you want to come.

the manatee snorkel is a lifetime experience. i've done it at least a dozen times and every time is just amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom