Sport Diver Magazine Article: 8 Wild Pacific Outposts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcd_dvr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just received the June issue of Sport Diver Magazine and on its cover "8 Wild Pacific Outposts -- Philippines, Palau, Kauai, Japan, Fiji, Vancouver, Tahiti and New Zealand". The issue devoted 10 pages about diving in the Philippines, with must dives being Tubbataha reef, Apo Island, Verde Island, and Coron Bay.

In the past, Sport Diver magazine would list all the dive sites in the world, but would make no mention of the Philippines.

Magazines won't give editorial support if you don't give them ad support....

Glad to see Kauai on there, People are always amazed with our fish, Seals and Dolphins.
I have always felt it was underated, but then I have vested interest.

I have always heard the phillipines were great, anyone been there?

In the past, Sport Diver magazine would list all the dive sites in the world, but would make no mention of the Philippines.

This is beacause the Philippines are now recognised (with Indonesia and PNG) as the best dive destinations in the World for coral and biodiversity of marine life. This is amongst divers (not magazine editors - but they are catching up!).

Magazines won't give editorial support if you don't give them ad support

Do I detect a smidgin of cynacism here? Articles ought to depend upon your journalistic/photo credibility rather than how much you can pay for an advert. Maybe you can do us a favour and name these magazines publicly.

WWD

Beg to differ, Mike.

Over the last ten years during my tenure as editor, I have published a lot of articles that did not get any advertising support whatsoever, I just though they were interesting/different/well-written/well-photographed pieces which would make good editorial content. Whether or not my ad team could get any ad revenue from it was a secondary consideration.

A lot of the stuff I get in comes from contributors who have been on a trip and then retrospectively write me a piece. Yes, many of the popular destinations we cover do get some associated advertising around them, which is what I would expect, but when I did places like Rodrigues in the Indian Ocean, we got no advertising support whatsoever. But it was a great article because many of my readers were like me "where is Rodrigues?" Same with El Hierro in the Canaries, Co Galway on the west coast of Ireland, Croatia, Marico Oog in South Africa, to name but a few.

I agree that a lot of the dive mags, in particular those in the US, do seem to make their choices of where to cover based on ad revenue, but I don't think you can make a sweeping generalisation right across the board.

Mark

Articles ought to depend upon your journalistic/photo credibility rather than how much you can pay for an advert.

WWD

awww c'mon... do you seriously think every magazine and newspaper out there really believes all that crap they drum into you in communications school????

do all public servants really serve the public because of their deep love and devotion to their constituents???

wait, let me give erap a call... i think he was unjustly accused

Jag

Back
Top Bottom