Sport Chalet Instruction...new rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got a memo from sport chalet corporate. looks like the instructors are going to stop teaching the dive tables now. all students will learn to dive using a computer and the rdp.

i think its stupid, and so does almost everyone that works at my sport chalet including the instructors...what do you think. one of our dm's said that no one dives without a computer now so what is the point of teaching someone a lost art.

Well many people dive without computers still. I don't understand why but it's true. That DM is, ahem, full of it.

What agency allows certs without taking an exam with several dive table problems on it?

PADI. the same agency that doesnt require dives for certain specialties.

Wait a minute, you said no tables, but an RDP. The RDP is a table, is it not? Recreational Dive Planner?

If you mean the eRDP, that's a different story...

This is one of those things where it's like "company policy, sure, but they aren't gonna fire me if I ask students to learn a dive table. The test might not cover it but I can in class if I darn wellplease!"

If they aren't going to teach you tables, then they need to include a computer. Otherwise, they are not training you enough. My PADI course gave me a table and a booklet on how to use it.

sorry. it was the eRDP.

we rent out computers to our students and whoever wants to rent it. I believe in our release form it says that a dive computer is only for backup and you should plan a dive using tables or i guess the eRDP.

Has anyone used the eRDP?

NetDoc:
I agree with their policy. Why teach people to use something that is obsolete for %95+ of the diving world.

Because unless they have a computer, they cannot dive if they do not know tables. Tables are cheap, $8 or so, or they are with your textbook for class (mine was, now I have a Naui as well and an old Dacor that will let me calculate deco times :) ) By not teaching them tables, you are forcing them to buy or at best, rent, another piece of equipment. There are two problems with this: 1) "just something more to get" means that the new diver is less likely to keep diving. If you include a computer in the package, great. I doubt PADI will be giving each student a computer. 2) it's something more to fail. They tell you in class to always carry a table with you, just incase you stayed down too long and have to figure out your stop, or if your computer breaks you can make sure you are good. Not to mention, my PADI table has info on how long before you can fly and stuff like that. My NAUI table has space on one side for me to work out a dive profile, which could help me incase I get narc'd and can't remember how long I planned to stay at depth, or if I get hurt, someone can easily look at it and tell approximately where I was, depth and time wise, even if I'm unconscious.

Not teaching someone to work out NDL times on a table is like not teaching someone how to read a map. Sure, they can get a GPS device, but a map doesn't need batteries.

Of course, getting lost doesn't drown you or give you the bends.

Jorbar1551:
we rent out computers to our students and whoever wants to rent it. I believe in our release form it says that a dive computer is only for backup and you should plan a dive using tables or i guess the eRDP.

Guess you'd better change your release. Send the bill to print new releases's to Padi.

NetDoc:
I agree with their policy. Why teach people to use something that is obsolete for %95+ of the diving world.

Probably for the same reason we teach basic math in schools. It's better to understand what the computer is doing so you have some idea if it's right. If you don't know the how the computers are approximating and what the number should be around, then you don't know if something goes wrong.

I don't know about you, but I would rathier have a backup to the computer in the unlikely event that it should malfunchtion.

Back
Top Bottom