Spool, homemade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a spool or two for a dive float / marker etc. I am not intending these for penetration, do not want to risk that. The Halcyon spool is nice but at $40 it is a bit steep. So are there any supplies at my local hardware or other item that I could utilize to make a decent spool for 75-100 foot of line? Am I dreaming? Let me know if not, or are there other good premade spools out there and affordable.

I make mine out of plastic license plates, a brass bolt, three brass nuts, a double ended bolt snap and a drop of epoxy.
Rick

Rick

Could you explain th e plastic lisence plate? Not sure exactly. What dimensions did you find useful for the discs and what thickness and length line did you put in?

For me, the disks are 3 5/8" (pictured) to 4" in diameter - that's what fits my hand so I can hold the ends of the bolt with thumb and forefinger and let out line. The one pictured holds 75' of braided #24. I have others with a bit longer bolt that hold about 120' of #24. If you have trouble controlling a spool like this (no finger holes, just bolt ends) you can put a couple of the tops off medicine bottles with the tops toward the middle under the bolt ends to make little finger pockets.
If Illinois is a "two plate state" (in Alabama we just have a rear license plate requirement, so all sorts of plates are available for the front - most made out of reasonably tough, flexible plastic) then you'll need to find a source of side material - I've also made 'em out of the sides of pool chemical buckets & stuff like that over the years.
Have fun...
Rick

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Nice Rick... cheap too....

Do you hang these on a ring or put them in a pocket???
Depends on how many I need for a dive. I usually carry one on the lower left small "D" ring on the back of my Transpac (located just about your beltline about three inches left of the center of your back) and the rest in a pocket.
Rick

Ive used two techniques.

One is perspex sides, and 10mm aluminium tube with an 8mm bolt through it with a Stainless steel locknut. Looks very flash, but I've been warned by plastics guys that perspex may become brittle if it gets really cold.

the other is 3mm nylon sheet for the sides, and a solid nylon bar (used both 10mm and 30mm) for the hub. Use brass self tapping screws to hold the sideplates to the hub. (plus a little epoxy resin)
Bombproof.

The 3mm line I use is by far the most expensive component of the whole deal. The plastics cost about $10 for enough to make 1/2 doz spools - I'd send you one if you lived on the right side of the world...

Mike

I like that, Rick. My buddy made us a few out of Delrin that look a lot like the Halcyon. Your design is very simple and easy to make.

Mike

Guys,
Thanks for all the info I am going to start working on them today. While walking thru my kitchen toay I noticed a piece of 4mm non-brittle plastic for my sides. It was an old cutting board that I was about to retire, perfect! It will definatly hold up to the abuse. I can get around six discs out of it. I have a 3 1/2 inch hole drill that should work quite nicely.

One more question about braided line thickness. Please explain the inch and mm equivalent for "#24, #36, #48". I do not see these sizes in my hardware shop.

Originally posted by erich

One more question about braided line thickness. Please explain the inch and mm equivalent for "#24, #36, #48". I do not see these sizes in my hardware shop.

Hi Erich,
I can't supply the size equivalent for you but the best bet is to get braided line not twisted line (usually sold in hardware stores)

Sometimes you can find this line in building supply stores but they usually stock twisted line... another source would be a commercial fishing store as they usually stock braided line....

This line will come as #24, #36 ect. if you can't find it stocked locally I am sure that your hardware store can order you in a bobbin.

Back
Top Bottom