Spool and bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am assuming a spool and bag could go in a thigh pocket. Could this be the same pocket holding my wet notes? Are there any bag characteristics to avoid? I'll ask my instructor if you guys don't know.

Thanks,

-V

Vayu:
Hi,

I am assuming a spool and bag could go in a thigh pocket. Could this be the same pocket holding my wet notes? Are there any bag characteristics to avoid? I'll ask my instructor if you guys don't know.

Thanks,

-V
A Small SMB and a spool will fit. Anything larger won't fit.

I use the small Halcyon SMB and it is a perfect size.

lift bag in MC pack...spool in pocket.

I have the Big Halcyon SMB with spool attached in a bellows pocket. No issues with getting things in and out of the pocket with it in there.

You can fit all of the above and a pair of shears in a 5thD sized pocket. Getting things out -- and worse, back IN again, may be a bit of a challenge.

I run my spool hooked up and attached to my bag off the back D-ring ,bag in MC pack, but would run it in my pocket if my dive were to have a different possible need for my spool.

My OW rig has a pre-Halcyon backplate (AUL) with no holes to allow an MC pocket. My wife, however, has her SMB stowed in an MC pocket, which would otherwise be my preference if it weren't for the design of the Halcyon bellows pocket.

The Halcyon bellows pocket allows you to store an SMB, spool, and wetnotes quite nicely. There are two separate cord loops in the pocket, plus a separate slot for the wetnotes (there's also a pocket on the big flap for line arrows, extra pencils, etc.). I have no trouble getting my wetnotes out and back in without disturbing the SMB and spool.

When diving with my wife, this is a well-tested process. <g>

Cameron

I have the 60# bag and 100' spool. Spool stays in the left pocket always. I don't dive with the MC, so I have the bag hanging off the Butt D ring in a seripus rule 6 violation.

I can cram the 60# into the left pocket, but with mask, spool, dive alert and shears is a bit crowded.

I tried the MC yesterday - but the 60 is a little big for it. However, its quite possible I'm clueless and just folded it wrong or something. If anyone schlepps the 60 in the MC, I'd love to know how you do it.

Thanks

---
Ken

CameronMartz:
When diving with my wife, this is a well-tested process. <g>

Cameron

I'm gonna tell her you said that!!! <G> :D

Vayu, a left bellows pocket should be plenty large enough to hold an SMB and spool, along with other things like a back-up mask, shears and more double-enders. The right pocket is flatter and will be the perfect spot for those wetnotes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom