Spontaneous Pneumothorax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m truly sorry for your condition and that definitely changes things. I hope you do find a way to continue enjoying the water and life.

----------------------------

p.s.
A 10 gauge needle runs about 3.5mm OD. 14 gauge is more common; e.g. a Turkel tray. But for field use, the bigger needle has the advantages of easier availability in longer lengths (esp. up to and over the optimal 3.25"), being stouter and less prone to clogging. A disadvantage is increased effort and control, from tissue drag, needed to punch it through.

If it makes you feel any better, the lethal risk from an underwater pneumothorax is tension physiology. This is where the increased pressure in one side of the chest pushes the structures in the center to the other side, and kinks the veins that are bringing back blood to the right side of the heart. Inadequate blood return causes unconsciousness and even cardiac arrest. So if you did drown, you'd be unlikely to know it.

If I'm reading this right, severe chest pain on ascent then unconsciousness. Could be an argument to fill the BC & drop weights and get it over with as quickly as possible. The bends would be no consideration at that point. I have to say, THIS SUCKS!!! Oh well, nothing I can do about it. At least I've got all winter to think about it and decide to risk it or not. I'll be seeing my Primary in about a month so I'll ask him and continue to pore over the research on recurrance, rates, and risk factors. At least having worked for NYS DOH doing epidemology I have some understanding of what to look for.

Great news! Met with my primary and guess what - you guys are totaly all wet - no pun intended. The verdict is 46 years with no recurrance, lung scan with no thickening, no scars, etc. - stop diving - NO Efiing Way!

Great news! Met with my primary and guess what - you guys are totaly all wet - no pun intended. The verdict is 46 years with no recurrance, lung scan with no thickening, no scars, etc. - stop diving - NO Efiing Way!

My surgeon would agree with that, having no blebs on High resolution CT scan (1 mm cuts) would put you on average risk of SP comparing to normal population.

I am working on digitilizing charts and images for you doctor!

I'm sorry, I missed the fact in your original posts that it had been over 40 years since your initial incidents. That would have affected the risk assessment, and the high-res CT without pathology affects it even more. Anyway, glad you got clearance.

... Anyway, glad you got clearance.

Thanks. Yeah I am exuberant. I know someday I will have to quit simply because I can no longer carry the weight into and out of the water. I'll have to switch to snorkeling at that point. I'm so glad I won't have to do it prematurely. If I hit the lottery I would start a R&D company working on developing ultra light tanks and some sort of balast system that doesn't require lead - guess I should write science fiction - Oh wait, there's always a hooka. I wonder if they rent them anywhere in the Caribbean. It would be a waste of money to get one here (low vis, little interesting UW, and cold) and I couldn't take it along on a plane. Shipping it would probably be way pricy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom