SPOILER * Star Trek Movie 2009 * Reviews and Comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
*Spoiler alert!* Spoilers are allowed in this thread, so if you have not yet seen the movie, proceed at your own risk.

The first showing of the new Star Trek movie tonight in my local area is at 7pm, and of course I have tickets! (Insert nerd/geek smilie here)

Rummaging through the internet, I am yet to find a negative review from anyone. Trek fans and non-Trekkie-rs alike are praising this film.

I remember standing in line for hours when the long awaited Star Trek The Motion Picture came out - the first new Trek in so many dry years. I was so thirsty for anything new that I actually enjoyed the movie (yes, I was the one). Yes, it sucked. But then TWOK came out and we were back in the good times again. And then STIII (yawn, fair), then IV (funny!), and then they just kind of came and went with the odd/even Trek rule playing out. Between, there were new shows - TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise...

And then it was over. The last show of Enterprise was truly depressing, and to my great surprise I found myself almost glad the whole Star Trek thing was finished. It seemed that they had wrung out every interesting drop form the franchise and more. Way more.

Now along comes Abrams, a non-fan who like someone awaking Khan from hibernation brings the whole thing back to life. And the reviews have been outstanding.

We'll see in a few hours. :D

The movie was just a ton of fun! :D

The movie didn't take itself too seriously. Hard core get-a-life fans might bellyache about some major canon issues, but The Original Star Trek was built on the relationship between the characters, the hope of a future with promise, and the wonder of what was "Out there. Star Trek 2009 perfectly delivered this gift, but in an updated package.

I think non-Trekkers might espouse this movie as so good because it is nothing like the old series. But in truth, it is exactly like the original series in its overall flavor and feel.

And timing is everything. The 60's was a time of turmoil in this country, a time of war and shifting attitudes both political and social. The Star Trek promise of a hopeful future was something that many people were hungry for. With today's suffering world economy, violent conflicts in the East, and daily news reports of everything from global warming to pandemic disease, the message of Star Trek is again (entertainment wise) just what the doctor ordered. I'm not sure if director JJ Abrams is smart or just lucky.

Great to see all the inside stuff for the ST fans. The movie got away with the occasional bone tossed to us anal retentive ST fans, everything from some plot development from the comic books, to a Wrath of Khan-like bug for Captain Pike, and (my favorite) even scenes shot at the famous Vasquez Rocks (Vasquez Rocks is a park about 40 mins drive north of LA where a bunch of the alien world scenes were shot back during the 60's show - PICTURE).

Okay, Spock kissing Uhura on the transporter pad was a bit much. And Spock marooning Kirk on an Alien moon felt like a bad gimmick just to get him together with Spock Prime and Scotty.
There was a bunch of stuff like that, which really is good because it gives the fans something to bicker about.

But overall the movie really worked. Somehow Abrams managed to give the true fans a movie they will love while at the same time, an entertainment package for the masses. If they can keep the cast together (the catalyst for the success of this movie), if they can keep Abrams directing (he likes to get things going and then move to the next project) and if they can keep the writing as goods as it is in this movie, I think we will see the Star Trek phenomena alive and well and warping forward into the future for the next generation of movie goers.

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who didn't like this movie. And the odds are, that person would be a Star Trek who is so obsessed with the details that they missed the overall vision for Star Trek originally imagined by Gene Roddenberry. Remember, it's just a movie!

So grab some popped corn and enjoy the show. :popcorn:

Last edited:
FYI to everyone... (as I'm sure Rick already knows this...)

.... you can put anything that is a "spoiler" in [spoiler] insert text/image here [/spoiler]

and it will show up like the below button

example text here...

example image below.
tractor1.jpg

So much was "bastardised"... The entire history of Kirk and Spocks Family, the Destruction of Vulcan, and not to forget Uhura....and since when has the transporter need a 5...4...3...2...1.. countdown?????? once locked, it's locked! The bit where Scotty said he transwarped Admiral Archer's Beagle? Archer and Kirk has a difference of OVER 100yrs!!!! and that's not taking into account the age differences... and even if he was possibly alive, Porthos, Archer's beagle wouldn not have been able to live that long....All said and done, it was still a great film... sigh.... conflicted

FYI to everyone... (as I'm sure Rick already knows this...)

.... you can put anything that is a "spoiler" in [spoiler] insert text/image here [/spoiler]
Oh, yeah! Thanks.

There was a bunch of stuff like that, which really is good because it gives the fans something to bicker about.
So much was "bastardised"... The entire history of Kirk and Spocks Family, the Destruction of Vulcan, and not to forget Uhura....and since when has the transporter need a 5...4...3...2...1.. countdown?????? once locked, it's locked! The bit where Scotty said he transwarped Admiral Archer's Beagle? Archer and Kirk has a difference of OVER 100yrs!!!! and that's not taking into account the age differences... and even if he was possibly alive, Porthos, Archer's beagle wouldn not have been able to live that long....All said and done, it was still a great film... sigh.... conflicted
See. :D

Egad... it was just a movie. Try not to pick it apart too much, ok? Just go with the "alternate universe" thingy and accept it.

Ken

Great flick. I enjoyed it immensely... to the point where I'm considering seeing it again, this time in IMAX. Although I may wait until the crowds die out a bit.

The couple we went to watch it with (the wife said "is this a princess leah movie? to give you an idea about her level of star trek knowledge) loved it as well.

JJA hit it out of the park. Fans and non-fans alike will find much to enjoy with this.

Was it perfect? No. There are things we could nit-pick about. But overall, it's the first Star Trek movie in years that I've seen, and walked out, and said "When does the next one come out?"

leave me alone! I'm crying inside over here!!!!! :D

I liked it even more the second time. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom