Splitting days between Anilao and PG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all
I booked a spur of the moment trip to Manila in November and am thinking of Anilao and PG as I have not been to either.
I will have 11 full days and wonder how to split them.
My thinking is to start in PG so I will not have to worry about a water transport returning to MNL.

I will be solo and have been to Bohol, Malapascua, Moalboal, Komodo, Bali and Alor this year so am happy just to dive and am not looking for anything particular underwater.
I don’t need a party scene and am happy to just have good food, clean lodging and of course great diving.
I’m thinking about possibly Blue Ribbon and El Galleon/Asia Divers...
But how to split the 11 days? I land at 2 pm and think I may head straight to PG instead of overnighting in Manila.
Thanks

Hello all
I booked a spur of the moment trip to Manila in November and am thinking of Anilao and PG as I have not been to either.
I will have 11 full days and wonder how to split them.
My thinking is to start in PG so I will not have to worry about a water transport returning to MNL.

I will be solo and have been to Bohol, Malapascua, Moalboal, Komodo, Bali and Alor this year so am happy just to dive and am not looking for anything particular underwater.
I don’t need a party scene and am happy to just have good food, clean lodging and of course great diving.
I’m thinking about possibly Blue Ribbon and El Galleon/Asia Divers...
But how to split the 11 days? I land at 2 pm and think I may head straight to PG instead of overnighting in Manila.
Thanks
Your thinking is spot on, in my humble opinion. I would do El Galleon first for 7-8 days and then Anilao after for 3-4 days. I would also go with Blue RIbbon in Anilao. Good choice. Here is my PG trip report from earlier this year, if you haven't seen it already:
Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Landing at 2pm at Manilla, it might be hard to head to PG on the same day, even with a private transportation. You might miss the latest ferry or private boat. You should check this with the OP you plan to dive with (El Galleon/Asia Divers combo is a great choice, but on the pricey side)

I would spend more time in PG than Anilao, as the diving offers more choice underwater, and you want to dive twice to Verde Island if possible.

Anilao is good too if you like macro diving, and there is also some nice reef/wall diving if macro gets boring after a while. Ask a trip to sombrero island and Dari-Laut Wreck.

In any case, enjoy your trip there!

My PG trip report from May 2019: Trip Report - Puerto Galera (Philippines) May 2019

just incase, check out portulano, it is different (but close, 30mins away from anilao) basically diving balayan bay. easy diving, relax except when there is typhoon.

Sounds like a good plan. Especially this time of year it makes sense to start with PG and keep an eye on the weather so you don't get stuck. I've stayed at El Galleon and dived with Asia Divers and they are a class act, but also one of the priciest if that matters. The last few years I've stayed in other accommodations that are much more reasonable and dived with Frontier Scuba, also much more reasonable. You can read about a few of my trips on my blog (link is in my signature). Just use the search function.

In Anilao the last few times I've been I dived with Anilao Scuba Dive Center. They have an all-inclusive package with a room, meals, and 3 dives a day. That generally is much more cost effective. Especially during the week when you may not have someone to split the boat with. They have a flat rate and the boat will go out even if you are the only diver.

Any specific questions just pm me :)

+1 for Anilao Scuba Dive Center.

I really liked my stay with them in January 2018, and their all-inclusive package is the cheapest around Mabini.

If you want some information, you can contact the Manager, Gina, on their Facebook (They don't have any website)

Last March I brought a group of 13 to Philippines. Stayed at Angela's in Sabang (PG) and dived with Frontier Scuba the first 7 nights, then stayed and dived with Aquaventure in Anilao last 3 nights. We stayed in Anilao last in order to be on the mainland in case weather delayed ferry crossings.

Your thinking is spot on, in my humble opinion. I would do El Galleon first for 7-8 days and then Anilao after for 3-4 days. I would also go with Blue RIbbon in Anilao. Good choice. Here is my PG trip report from earlier this year, if you haven't seen it already:
Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019
I read your thorough review and am leaning towards booking with Bluewater.
For 7 nights, I am quoted $948 in a budget room with unlimited diving.
Meals seem expensive to me for the package. For 3 meals a day, $406. That’s about $19 per meal.
Transfers are extra as well. $80 for car from
Manila, $210 for a private boat (13 people included). I pray I can at least share the boat ride.

You said you averaged $5 pp per meal. Lunch and breakfast too? If so, it seems ala carte seems the way to go. I’m not a huge eater.

I read your thorough review and am leaning towards booking with Bluewater.
For 7 nights, I am quoted $948 in a budget room with unlimited diving.
Meals seem expensive to me for the package. For 3 meals a day, $406. That’s about $19 per meal.
Transfers are extra as well. $80 for car from
Manila, $210 for a private boat (13 people included). I pray I can at least share the boat ride.

You said you averaged $5 pp per meal. Lunch and breakfast too? If so, it seems ala carte seems the way to go. I’m not a huge eater.

Yes- If I didn't, I certainly meant to communicate clearly that ordering your food off of the menu, a la carte vs paying ahead of time for the all inclusive meal plan is definitely more cost effective.The all inclusive plan is expensive because it is basically a 3 course affair for both lunch and dinner and WAY too much food. We paid ahead of time and had breakfast only included. Depending on how much breakfast you eat, this may or may not be a good way to go-- but definitely do not pay for the full meal plan. Order each lunch and dinner off of the menu. Yes, transfers are extra and that was spelled out in my report-- Very much worth it, even if you think it is expensive (given the alternatives). When we left the island for our return, we were able to find others that were departing the same day and enthusiastically chipped in their percentage of what it had cost me to help defray the cost. We didn't really even have to find them. They inquired at the front desk if anyone had pre-paid and then found out that we had and they approached us-- seems to be common. The car can also be split among the number of people the car holds. What I would do is book and secure it with Bluewater and then contact El Galleon and let them know you'd be happy to share your car and boat if they become aware of any other guests that may need transportation the same day and time. At $290 round trip for my wife and I that was basically $75 per person each way and I felt it was very much worth it. As mentioned, we got some of it back on the back end by allowing a couple of others to join our boat and van upon return.

It sounded as if price may be an issue? Again Asia Divers/El Galleon are a class operation, but they're also about the most expensive way to go in PG. Blue Ribbon also has a great reputation but there are other ops that will also take great care of you and will be less expensive. If price isn't an issue then you're all set. You've chosen two of the best... you'll have a good trip no matter what... they all go to the same dive sites and the diving is what makes the Philippines such a great place to visit :)

In PG you definitely want the option of not eating every meal at El Galleon. There are some really good restaurants in Sabang. Having said that I always make it a point to have breakfast there at least once a week whenever I'm visiting. They have a great breakfast buffet :)

Back
Top Bottom