Split vs. Regular vs. 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Cal Divin

Reaction score
Hey ya SCUBA Frog

Just wanted to throw a monkey wrench in to this whole "fins" debate you started.
I currently own only one set of fins and was looking to purchase a second set.
My current fins are a pair of Apollo Bio Fins w/ ss spring straps (THANKS Boogie 711 for the spring straps , best money I've spent) and I love them.
My dive buddy who has years more experience diving than I do switched from his Turtles to Apollo Bios after trying mine out.
So I started my research on which pair of fins to buy next.
Thanks to SCUBABoard I decided to look for Jet fins. Good reviews, cheap and easy to find on Ebay.
Why Jets ?
Well the main reason was I wanted more control for taking
pictures. And I already have a set of splits so why not a pair of Jets to compliment my setup,
Well I started hanging around the Spearboard Spearfishing and FreeDiving forums and noticed the fins they were using.
Long fins ?
I'd like to get into freediving and spearfishing in the near future.
Why long fins ?
Full foot pocket:pros-100% use of the foot/ankle You can't beat a full foot fin in performance.
Cons- Pain in the *** for beach diving exits/entries.
Pro- Good for boat dives.
Cons- 6.5 mm Neoprene sock not so great for rocky beach dives.
Pros- No fin straps

Long-Med blade: Pros- Blades are interchangeable in length and stiffness. And cheap.
Cons- Won't fit in my dive tub unless broken down.
Pros- Better manuverability and more control.
Cons- Twice the price of Jets.
Pros- Current , what current ?

So I guess I've answeed my own question. I'll look for a pair of Jets on Ebay and ask for OmerSub "Millennium" Full Foot Free Diving Fins for X-mas !!!

Still anyone have experience with SCUBA diving with Free diving fins ? Not much to look at in SEARCH.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble.

Jeff

What's your buddy wearing for fins??
If he's not wearing something similar it's kind of pointless.
I'd stick with the Jets.

We had a DM/freind in the Bahamas who wore freediving fins. We used to tell him we were going to cut 8" off his fins when he wasn't looking. It took a lot of effort to keep up with him. This was not good when he had beginners on the dive.

I have many pairs of freediving fins... I don't think you'll like the omer milleniums comps.. they are awful stiff. The stiffest of the freediving fins I own.. somewhere around 8 pair or so... well, one's a mono so that's not a pair.. Unless you are very strong in the legs you will not like the milleniums. Although the blades are not so easily interchangeable, the Cressi Gara.. 2000 or the 3000's are very nice. the 2000 HF is a bit stiffer than the 2000 LD's.. the 3000 (my brother just got a pair) I really liked. Plus the cressi's are almost indestructible. Most of the Sporasub fins are very nice.. some not so expensive either and also have interchangeable blades. I really don't think you'll like the Milleniums as well as some of the others... I'd do a bit more homework.

Hi HMB

I was actually looking at the OMER Millenium foot pocket with the Winter blade. It is a softer blade ideal for inshore diving and surface swimming. Which is what most of my diving consists of.
I looked at the Gara 2000 but wanted a fin that I could grow with.
Love the idea of being able to change blades as my legs grow stronger and changing surf conditions.
Do you SCUBA with your fins or strictly Freedive ?
Do you beach dive ?
I'm in So Cal and most of my diving is done with thick wetsuit, boots and gloves.
How hard would it be to put these fins on in the surf or on the beach with 5 mm kevlar gloves and 6.5 mm socks ?

I plan on learning how to Freedive and Spearfish in the near future. Most of my favorite diving is in shallow reefs. Why waste my energy with a tank strapped to my back. And scare the fish off with all those noisy bubbles.
Hell I've never seen a WSB.
We've had a lot of shark (GW & Hammerheads) sightings in Cali this year though and that makes me nervous about free/spear diving!

Thanks Jeff

I don't scuba much... but when I have I wear my cressi 2000 hf's. The OMER foot pocket will definitly be more difficult to put on than a cressi or sporasub foot pocket, the rubber in the OMER's is a lot less pliable than either of those, and I mean a LOT less pliable (and yes.. these are the newer OMER footpockets.. I exchanged them from an older set) I dive up here in the north and always wear socks... either 2.5 mil or 5mil depending on..... how thick the ice is.... Look into getting or making some fin keepers if you're concerned about losing the fins in the surf. I almost always do shore diving, just not often in any surf... putting fins on is putting fins on, but it would be easier with a softer foot pocket like the cressi or sporasub. If you're not set on long freediving fins, a real good fin (no interchangeable blade though) is the Mares quattro pro/sporasub cruise.. in some of my testing (using an underwater speedometer) they were almost as fast as my best freediving fins. If going fast is your thing... really not conducive to good freediving.

OK HMB

What's your suggestion ?
Here's my criteria, in this order of importance:
1: Price reasonable, under $200.
2: Soft foot pocket for ease of donn/doffing in surf. Would like to use them for the beach not just boats.
3: Removeable blades with the versatility to install seperate blades for surf conditions,Freediving,SCUBA and as my strength increases.
4: Med length for shallow depths on SCUBA and hunting while Freediving.
5: Rugged construction. No need for exotic materials
6: Ease of blade replacement.

I'm not interested in speed but control for taking photos and eventually hunting on shallow reefs. Good in current. And good for long surface swims.
Putting fins on is putting fins on. I disagree, thats why I bought spring straps for my Apollo Bios I spend all of about 2 sec. in the surf zone entering and exiting.
Were can I see a set of fin keepers ?
Sounds like a Soprasub fin for me but which one ? Or ?
Would appreciate your feedback. I know that once I narrow it down I'll try them out with my gear on before buying.
What do you think of AB Biller fins ?

TIA HMB

Jeff

So Cal Divin:
OK HMB

What's your suggestion ?
Here's my criteria, in this order of importance:
1: Price reasonable, under $200.
2: Soft foot pocket for ease of donn/doffing in surf. Would like to use them for the beach not just boats.
3: Removeable blades with the versatility to install seperate blades for surf conditions,Freediving,SCUBA and as my strength increases.
4: Med length for shallow depths on SCUBA and hunting while Freediving.
5: Rugged construction. No need for exotic materials
6: Ease of blade replacement.

I'm not interested in speed but control for taking photos and eventually hunting on shallow reefs. Good in current. And good for long surface swims.
Putting fins on is putting fins on. I disagree, thats why I bought spring straps for my Apollo Bios I spend all of about 2 sec. in the surf zone entering and exiting.
Were can I see a set of fin keepers ?
Sounds like a Soprasub fin for me but which one ? Or ?
Would appreciate your feedback. I know that once I narrow it down I'll try them out with my gear on before buying.
What do you think of AB Biller fins ?
TIA HMB
Jeff
Reviewing your 6 requirements you described the sporasub H.Desault fins.. not their pure carbons or the grafiber fins but more so their plastic.. (maybe some other composite in there too) fin. The only thing is the footpockets.. the softest of all the foot pockets I've seen is the cressi's, but alas, not so easy blade change. And o.k... no full foot will probably go on quite as easily as spring straps... The H.Desault fins are available in open heel. You can see a set of fin keepers under "Spare Parts" at http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=3&id_subfamilia=18 (easily made outta old small boat trailer inner tubes). AB Biller.. saw them on sale one time and thought I needed a pair... but I don't so I didn't get them. Have never tried them and don't know of anyone who has a pair. If I remember right it was a good price though.

Jeff...isn't that what this whole Board is about...throwing monkey wrenches at people? Controversy...gotta love it!

I agree with holdingmybreath, sounds like the Sporasub fin would be best. I have a pair of open heel Elite's and love them. You can get the full foot version through Dive Inn for $62 (I see hmb has already given you the link) Fin keepers are there also.
I do occasionally scuba with my long blades and where they deliver all the power I could ask for they are awkward in confined areas. If you do photo long blades are somewhat difficult in maneuvering for shots. Superb in current but not in surface swims. When you get into spearfishing you will soon realize why you got them, they are great in ascending with a fish of measurable size.
As far as the Billers, I have tried and the blade was just too soft to really feel the full effect of the kick. Good beginner fin to develop your legs so you can move into some C4's though! :wink:

Thanks guys for your input. That's what I love about this forum you learn from other peoples experiences.
The off topic BS can get old.

Sporasub it is ! Looks like the perfect fin for me. Cheap, versatile and I can upgrade the blades as I grow in the sport.

Looks like I'll ask Santa for a steel tank for x-mas instead and a SCUBABoard sticker to go on it !!!

Sea ya Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom