Split from: How to be a better solo diver thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Rob would make a great mod, is a very reasonable person....I am looking forward to what he proposes for the "sticky".

Oh no.... no no no.... nobody wants this, believe me! They'd probably make me moderate the solo forum as punishment for all of past "detractions".

No, I'm quite happy just being an opinionated hack.

As for a couple of comments:

- Catherine "It's only SCUBA". You're right. As compared to some other activities it's not exactly going to break your risk-o-meter. I do need to be reminded of this from time to time.

- Walter "If you are inclined to dive solo and have the necessary experience to do it safely, why would you be asking questions about the practice?". This is my feeling as well. I'm getting a warm feeling from being in total agreement with you. It was bound to happen eventually... :)

- Catherine "it seems overly patronizing to worry "for" some one else". Perhaps. I think your inability to follow this thinking may be somewhat related to a difference in culture. I hope I can say this without alienating all of the Americans on the board but Americans are probably unique in the world having a very strong "live and let live"--individualistic--core cultural value. In many other countries, including Canada and most certainly in the Netherlands (talk about a Borg collective), individualism and collectivism hang in a different kind of balance. I certainly didn't mean to come across sounding arrogant or patronizing but I think this may offer a partial explanation for why were weren't connecting. On the one hand I think I'm right because people do try to emulate roll models. Even people you only know in cyber space can be powerful roll models and I wouldn't want to (mis)lead someone I don't know into doing something they ought not to be doing. I think it would be good if all of the regulars on the board would spend some time considering their position as a roll model and consider the effect it has on the readers. On the other hand, I think you're right that I could do with a little more "live and let live". It would certainly be an easier-going approach and I would probably worry less if I did. (see....told you I'd think about it...)

R..

well, I was going to bring that up as well...about you being a communist and all. No, you won't offend Americans. That is the best thing about us, we are dense as tree stumps.

can I be a roll model if I get a pony?

You are a thinking person, so few! I too, am thinking about your perspective and had already come to terms with it a bit.. I know that 90% of the solo folks out there are probably not using pony bottles so I would like to hear why, for example.

If this is taboo to discuss, we would never hear the reasons.

I agree with the role model statement Rob but it only goes so far. I think it is important to be responsible in the wording we use when we post but some of the people you talk about who may emulate some of the posters here are also very adept at spinning a post into something it was never meant to be. There are only so many bases we can cover and sometimes the slightest inkling we might agree with something can be turned into an endorsement. Sound bites or partial quotes can skew the real intent of any post.

I have not been using a pony up to this point because I limit my depth to what I can safely do a CESA from and frankly it is a pain to transport. My equipment is serviced after every trip and I have redundancy for everything except air.

Damselfish:
You could go one step further and say "if you have the necessary experience to dive at all why would you be asking questions about diving."

Seems like there are always things to be learned - I think someone even someone who doesn't solo can learn things from a discussion on it.

Of course there are always things to be learned. I believe a discussion about solo diving will be of the most benefit to those who don't dive solo. Unfortunately, it will also likely encourage those who shouldn't be diving solo to give it a try.

As for your first post, no. Diving includes folks with lots of different experiences from those no experience, but with a desire to learn to those with thousands of dives, most of us are somewhere in the middle.

Also, dive instruction is, in general, pretty poor. Divers need a reliable source of good information. Most don't have that from their instructors.

Solo divers, OTOH, should already be very skilled with good common sense, high intelligence and lots of experience. Sure, we have more to learn, but we are, for the most part, indivualists. When I have a question about diving, I usually figure it out for myself. There are about 4 people in the world I go to with questions. They are not people I've only seen on line. They are people I've dived with many, many times. They are people who I know are some of the best divers on the planet. Only one of them is on this board. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing most solo divers are similar to me in that respect.

Diver0001:
- Walter "If you are inclined to dive solo and have the necessary experience to do it safely, why would you be asking questions about the practice?". This is my feeling as well. I'm getting a warm feeling from being in total agreement with you. It was bound to happen eventually... :)

We've agreed before. Even when we disagree, I respect your opinion. You're one of the good ones - even when you're wrong........

Rob, made a comment about not discussing "macho" moves. I think the macho/a club should have little hats so people know they should not be listened to. I wouldn't mind.

or, better yet, a special forum. "Idiots with Death Wishes"...and we could post to our hearts content, all kosher-like. heli-diving fantasies, etc. I could tell about Armando riding the hooked marlin in scuba with a video camera, Joey getting naked at 117 ft in the corsair....oh, okay then.

catherine96821:
can I be a roll model if I get a pony?

LOL.... Only if it's big enough! :)

You are a thinking person, so few! I too, am thinking about your perspective and had already come to terms with it a bit.. I know that 90% of the solo folks out there are probably not using pony bottles so I would like to hear why, for example.

well....in my case I do all of my solo dives in redundant gear--doubles and with a stage of 50% if I'm going into deco. Of my solo dives, a good portion are deco dives (strangely, the only person I ever told this to was Rob Davie) and given that I'm in an overhead (albeit virtual) I can't affort to abort. I've even made solo wreck dives into fairly long decos on the North Sea, which even most local divers would agree is pretty daft because of all the nets and currents ....

It feels unnatural to be writing this but I"m going to apply a little "live and let live" on this and just come clean, especially for you :05:

So for me redundant is both how I'm normally configured and, in fact, the only configuration that I consider "care free".

I also do some short solo dives either before or after rescue courses (slipping in and out of scenarios). These are done well within the NDL's and close to the surface, often with a single 10 or 15 litre tank and with the knowledge that other divers know I'm in the water. In this case, I apply what Nemrod does, which is KISS and I don't take anything with me that I don't absolutely need. This also makes it less complicated for assiting with rescue. This is how I started with solo diving and where I realised how much I liked it. My very first solo dive was setting up an obstacle course for a PPB specialty and then breaking it down again after the dive.

R..

Walter:
You're one of the good ones - even when you're wrong........

:) thanks..... I think :)

I always read your posts with great attention, speaking of roll-models.

R..

see? you are way more ninja than I will ever be. You need to come clean so we can "share the love" and lecture your behind. Those closet people are the ones you gots to watch!

I don't plan on ever doing deco in bad viz.(on purpose) Have kidlets. It factors in.

I am, however dying to know about your mental game on this. for a new thread...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom