Split from: How to be a better solo diver thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
There are only so many bases we can cover and sometimes the slightest inkling we might agree with something can be turned into an endorsement. Sound bites or partial quotes can skew the real intent of any post.

This is *so* true.

R..

Charlie99:
I find it strange that discussions of solo diving on SB have to be segregated off into an opt-in forum.
Actually.... they don't. Just as with threads discussing DIR, there are a lot of solo discussions in the 'open' forums, where only the rules of the ToS apply. Just because someone asked a solo (or DIR or underwater hunting) question, doesn't mean that thread should be moved to the "no troll" forum. Some people actually DO want to hear from the "other side."

The solo forum, like the DIR and UW hunting forums, was created for those who didn't want to have to sift through the posts of the folks who see any such thread as an opportunity to tell others that their chosen activity is unsafe, stupid, bad, gonna kill you, closed-minded or whatever.

Just like those who ask about DIRf training or which spear gun others use, it gets old when someone who has already chosen to pursue the solo path asks a question and is immediately pounced on for it.

Snowbear:
Rob and I have worked together to "clarify" NetDoc's sticky with a reply to it... It's a closed thread, so make your comments and suggestions here or via PM :wink:

Having just read it, I would suggest one minor change from:

"Having this forum available in no way implies that ScubaBoard.com, it's owner, advisors or moderators advocate or endorse the practice of solo diving."

To:

"Having this forum available, posting in this forum or admitting to diving solo, in no way implies that ScubaBoard.com, it's owner, advisors, moderators or members advocate or endorse the practice of solo diving."

I don't want folks to think we (members) are advocating they dive solo.

Ok...I just found this thread...

First of all I´ll just start out disagreeing with Diver0001...I don´t think it´s "european" to always limit yourself to "the weakest link in the chain" (no offence)...I´ve always seen that as an american thing (and perhaps EU-thing :wink: ) I find the whole "disclaimer culture" irritating and very "do as I say and not as I do"...

If someone asks a question, why not just answer what you do or think is the "best answer"?! Explain why you do it the way you do it and in what context and leave it at that...if you don´t believe the OP is capable of coming to a reasoned decision, then why are you posting at all? I assume the best of people until they prove otherwise, then I adjust...

Right or wrong I view the solo-forum as a kind of DMZ. It´s ok to be less than "dive-pc" here...

I understand why that can´t be the case in "basic scuba" and I don´t make the same assumptions there...

To me, that is the real value of the solo-forum (and other sub-forums like dir, hogarthian, single etc)...

Snowbear:
Makes sense. The change has been made.
Thank you Walter

Thank you, Darlin', but only part of the suggested change was made. Any particular reason?

Walter:
Thank you, Darlin', but only part of the suggested change was made. Any particular reason?
Oops - Yeah, the particular excuse... I mean reason... was.... uh.... I was working on a couple of different things at once and messed up. Should be fixed now :D

Back
Top Bottom