Split from Ft. Lauderdale boats. (General discussions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueGirlGoes:
Thanks, Marc!

I'm coming in early enough (next) Friday to get in a late afternoon dive. Do you have any recommendations? I'm staying in Ft. Lauderdale proper, and want to use a good outfit that will let me buddy with the DM. (I've got about 30 dives under my belt, and am a little leery of buddies who don't have a vested interest in seeing me topside.) I do hate to miss a chance to dive.

Pro Dive is a first class outfit with many Instructors on staff that are available to dive with folks from out of town. Check out their web site and if you deside to give them a call ask for John.

Hope you enjoy your trip down.

Thanks, Scott. Unfortunately, I won't get to my hotel from the airport until about 2, so I'll miss that charter. Oh well, I'll work my way through the list and see if I can find something. (I'm diving Saturday with South Florida Diving, but I'm not arranging that trip.)

Well, it looks like all of these are a 1:30 go, so no afternoon dive for me on Friday. Thanks for the information.

BlueGirlGoes:
Thanks, Marc!

I'm coming in early enough (next) Friday to get in a late afternoon dive. Do you have any recommendations? I'm staying in Ft. Lauderdale proper, and want to use a good outfit that will let me buddy with the DM. (I've got about 30 dives under my belt, and am a little leery of buddies who don't have a vested interest in seeing me topside.) I do hate to miss a chance to dive.

I don't know who provides DM's who will dive with you. Call a couple and see what they say.

That said, try the South Florida Dive HQ's boats - they cater to alot of visitors and may offer this service.

Marc

FLL Diver:
Maybe the powers that be could make the list a sticky thread that stays at the top of the Conch Divers Forum until the website gets built?

Marc
This thread has been stuck but now everyone needs to try and limit their posts to the topic at hand so that it doesn't get bogged down. Nice work with this list, I know I'll use it the next time I'm headed down to shake the snow off my wings...

FLL Diver:
I don't know who provides DM's who will dive with you. Call a couple and see what they say.

In general DM's stay on the boat for boats in Ft. Lauderdale, (incl. Pompano, Deerfield, Boca Raton) up to Boynton Beach and I think down to and including Miami. Boyton and up including WestPalm Beach and Jupiter the DM is in the water. Which one is the better system for both customer and DM is debated.

Now, you can always get your "own" DM to dive with. All boats will get you one for a fee, usually $50/trip/group. (You have to call a day or more ahead.) It is actually quite common. I do more of this private dive guiding work as a DM than any other DM work.

Scott implied that the professionals on the boat don't mind you tagging along. That is in a way true but it is also a common view among the pro's that when they are out diving for their own amusement they don't like to "babysit" other diver. They don't say it openly but that is how the talk is on the inside. Which I think should be respected because if not working they are entiteled to their on time and they can end-up "doing" a "refresher course" for free.

--A

fldivenut:
Scott implied that the professionals on the boat don't mind you tagging along. That is in a way true but it is also a common view among the pro's that when they are out diving for their own amusement they don't like to "babysit" other diver. They don't say it openly but that is how the talk is on the inside. Which I think should be respected because if not working they are entiteled to their on time and they can end-up "doing" a "refresher course" for free.--A

I wasn't implying anything. Pro Dive asks most divers when they show up the day of the trip if they will be needing a DM. There is a fee, I don't know exactly how much it is as I don't use one, but there is always someone available and it is quite common to see a group of out of town divers being lead by a Pro Dive DM. Pro Dive is a very large training facility and has a large staff of Instructors available for this very purpose. Being an Instructor myself I know full well what it's like to be asked to "Babysit" a less experienced diver when I'm diving for my own pleasure. While I sympathize with these less experienced folks, I was one of them at one point in time, I politely say no thanks as I'm not being paid for my services as a DM and would be excepting a large amount of liability in doing so.

If you're looking for a very professional, experienced staff and crew that cater to all levels of experence then, again, my only recommendation would be Pro Dive.

Padipro:
I wasn't implying anything. Pro Dive asks most divers...
Sorry for that. I am not aware of the exact procdures at Pro Dive since I havn't been diving with them. However Pro Dive is unique since their training dept. is cranking out so many professionals. Don't expect to get a DM when you show up at any other place, call ahead.
--A

Not a problem. I know it's hard to find a DM at most places down here sense their staff usually consits of only a few people and most don't have their own boat and crew. I can remember trying to find a DM to help me during my first few classes here in South Florida. The store staff just laughed at me and said I needed to bring my own. I was used to working at a store up north that had several that were always available. In fact I taught several classes where there were actually more DM's then students.

You're right though about Pro Dive being different because they're such a large training facility. That can be both good and bad depending on what you're looking for. But they're a pretty good group of people and they have a huge staff on hand so you can usually get just about anything you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom