Split from Exploration dives without a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I thought the MOD for EAN32 was 100 ft..

We used 1.6 in my class. So if I left my buddy at 70 feet (remember, the original question?) to drop down to 100 to chase a fish, he could breathe his EAN50 stage bottle if his DIN blew out. That is if he wasn't knocked unconscious by the ballistic 2nd stage. All so clear, huh?

PerroneFord:
It appears there is a pretty wide difference of opinion from GUE and anyone else.

BTW, where did you see that comment about computers in the TDI manual? I don't remember seeing that. Not disputing you, I'm just really curious about it.

Ver. 2001, Rev 2, Page 36. "Planning an advanced nitrox multi-level dive can be challenging at best. Monitoring depths and times considerably task load the diver. The fact remains that modern nitrox dive computers remain the best choice for actually performing the dive."

was your course actually taught that way too RH? :)11: )

Most of out diving is shallow, no-D, no big deal diving so what we're really worried about is making sure that our SPGs never indicate more gas than you have, we don't much care about the other end of the tail. We do them on a test bench with a calibration test pump and a master gauge.

I still have some of the old Sherwoods and they're pretty good as were the Beuchats. I've never played with the DIR zone SPG, but at over $100 more than I'm used to paying for a gauge they're either great or a fraud.

I can't really speak to the most accurate brand, we tend to buy them 20 or so at a time and they come from the lowest bidder<G>. If they don't meet spec we return 'em and get another batch. Batch seems more important than brand, so I suspect they're all made the same place ... more or less.

Very interesting Red. Thanks for the quote.

redhatmama:
We used 1.6 in my class. So if I left my buddy at 70 feet (remember, the original question?) to drop down to 100 to chase a fish, he could breathe his EAN50 stage bottle if his DIN blew out. That is if he wasn't knocked unconscious by the ballistic 2nd stage. All so clear, huh?
Gue uses a max PPO2 of 1.6 for deco gases.

Snowbear:
Personally, I'm glad I was taught to manage my Nitrox dives without having to rely on a computer to do it for me. It may be the best way for a TDI trained diver, but it works better for me without a computer.

We also learned to make those dives on tables and use forumulas to calculate MOD. I think their point is that a computer can calculate where you are in terms of not only the standard limitations of MOD and gas usage, but also CNS clock percentage which becomes very important in breathing rich mixes of nitrox.

redhatmama:
Ver. 2001, Rev 2, Page 36. "Planning an advanced nitrox multi-level dive can be challenging at best. Monitoring depths and times considerably task load the diver. The fact remains that modern nitrox dive computers remain the best choice for actually performing the dive."
Thats funny.

grazie42:
was your course actually taught that way too RH? :)11: )

I think my instructor really loved his Nitek 3. :wink:

redhatmama:
I think my instructor really loved his Nitek 3. :wink:
I love my Suunto D3 :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom