Split from Exploration dives without a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhatmama:
Just curious as to where GUE stands on deeper dives with air? I take it EAN32 is ok?
As far as GUE is concerned.

EAN32 is good to 100ft.

Air is good for the Surface interval.

Jeff, diving air or EAN32 over 100 feet is extremely common. I was looking through my TDI Adv. Nitrox manual last night (reviewing fo next course) and it explicitly states that the best procedure for managing a Nitrox dive is with a computer. Seems to be a big difference of opinion between TDI and GUE.

It appears there is a pretty wide difference of opinion from GUE and anyone else.

BTW, where did you see that comment about computers in the TDI manual? I don't remember seeing that. Not disputing you, I'm just really curious about it.

redhatmama:
Seems to be a big difference of opinion between TDI and GUE.
Yes, especially at the "corporate" level. By the time you get to the instructor level for TDI, you might find some instructors that agree more with the Gue way of thinking and others that are in total disagreement with Gue.

JeffG:
As far as GUE is concerned.

EAN32 is good to 100ft.

Air is good for the Surface interval.

So Jeff, their MOD for EAN32 is 100'?

I thought the MOD for EAN32 was 100 ft..

Diver Dennis:
So Jeff, their MOD for EAN32 is 100'?
Yes. Gue tries to keep the PPO2 of your working gas to a max of 1.2

If you go through the list of standard gases and compare the PPO2 at their Gue MOD, you will see that the PPO2 is always around 1.2

catherine96821:
I thought the MOD for EAN32 was 100 ft..
Some people set the limit at a PPO2 of 1.4 which is around 110ft

redhatmama:
Jeff, diving air or EAN32 over 100 feet is extremely common. I was looking through my TDI Adv. Nitrox manual last night (reviewing fo next course) and it explicitly states that the best procedure for managing a Nitrox dive is with a computer. Seems to be a big difference of opinion between TDI and GUE.
Yes, those dives are common. Just because that's the way it's done by a gazillion people doesn't make it a cliff I care to jump off without making it at least a little bit safer for this lemming. I've found it's easier to deal with just about anything with a clear head than it is being even "just a little bit" stoned.

Yes there is a big difference in opinion. That's why there's so much contention on the boards :wink:

Personally, I'm glad I was taught to manage my Nitrox dives without having to rely on a computer to do it for me. It may be the best way for a TDI trained diver, but it works better for me without a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom