Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello all.

I currently dive with Caravelle ADJ fins from Aqua Lung and I fell like I'm kicking with 2X4s on my feet. :depressed: They were my first fins in high school and were given to me with no choice. I think it is time for new fins and I am very heavily leaning towards split fins but don't know what brand/style to go with. Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks.
I don't dive with split fins, but I know alot of divers who do - I would go with the ScubaPro Twin Jet; I have heard great things about them.

halemanō;5419204:
i have made at least 2 thousand dives in open heel fins and i find spring straps to be the most uncomfortable strap i have ever tried. The line of contact is just one thin line so the force per square inch is significantly greater than with any stock strap; plus they are more negatively buoyant than stock straps it would seem.

some springs have a pad that spreads the load over a larger surface area.
My booties have a groove at the base of the heel for the spring in any case.

they are the most comfortable fin you have ever worn, but nobody has the same shape foot or same comfort zones as anybody else.

tha apollo foot pocket is the softest and most pliable i have seen.

if you are doing the same flutter with splits that you are doing with paddles, you are doing the wrong flutter with one &/or the other. The proper flutter for a split is not the proper flutter for a paddle.

It may be "kicking" that silts, finning with fins is a much better solution. I think it is very likely, from my watching thousands of tourist divers each year for almost a decade, that for the typically untrained diver, the split fin just might stir up more sand/silt than a paddle.

Trim / body position along with proper finning is what keeps a diver from silting. When i fin my long blade free dive fins (gara2000's) in any style (flutter, scissor, frog, modified frog, even dolphin) my trim dictates how far from the bottom the turbulence is, so any finning style can be done with the fins at any distance from the bottom.

frog "fin" frog "kick". I think everybody here understands. All things being equal with respect to "trim" and "fin" (meaning as in how you move your leg like as in "kick", not the piece of equipment, "fin" which is on your foot. I think we cleared that up.

:wink:

edit:
Never did finish my thought. I think you and I both agree that one should not blame the piece of equipment for silting, although people do.

Last edited:
We can't have a fin thread without someone bringing up Force Fins. They're light, they move water quite well, and I saw them in a split model the other day.

Twin Jets?

Well thank you for all the information. My dive buddy has SP Twin Jets so I'm going to try to talk him into trading for a dive. Based on all of this I think I'll either get the twin jets or Bio fins. And upgrade to the spring straps when I have the money.

Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom