Split fins.... YES or NO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:eek:fftopic:
Stirling:
I'm pretty new to this board, but I am really puzzled by the dogmatism that keeps flashing up in some of these discussions.

Amen Stirling. Preach on. I'm with you.

We were chatting about this very thing at the LDS when someone metioned this board.

I like my SP TWIN JET split fin except the buckle that is easily broken (I hope SP replace it under the warranty). It is a light and easy to handle. Anyone know where to get the spring strap for Twinjet, not for Jet fin.

I LOVE my Jet Fins! I wished I'd bought them from the start instead of listening to others and buying split fins. Like all dive equipment it just depends on each individual's personal preference. Try a pair out and see how you like them.

Bottom line is that if you like your splits, keep them. If you want to try something different, do. Use what you are comfortable with and what works best for you.

Contrary to the bias of some individuals on this board, using splits does NOT make you a rotortiller. Poor technique does.

Splits do not enforce bad technique, but they do use a different technique, and take a little getting used to. I dont think that after "x" years of using not splits, then trying them for a dive or two really gives anyone a decent prospective. Like any other skill in scuba, your skill level will improve with use. I, for one, have never felt disadvantaged using splits, so I wear splits (Tusa Xpert Zooms as well) and love them.

And I'm only a rototiller when I'm looking for meg teeth, and the rotortiller is on the front end, not the back.

River Rat: "I compared my Jets against some stiff splits in a pool and found that my Jets are very strong "off the line" so to speak. The splits felt "flimsy" but if you start to haul *** and modify your flutter kick they did seem to start to "become" more efficient, requiring less effort to swim. But my question is, who swims around a reef at FULL BORE continuously during the course of a dive?"

I never owned anything *but* a pair of JetFins for more than 30 years (older than somebody here who has never met me but is convinced I don't know how to swim) until I bought the split fins last year. I agree the JetFins feel faster "off the line" (although I don't know if that actually so), and at first, I thought my top end speed was greater with the JetFins, too because they just felt faster than the split fins. I found out they're not.

I don't know anybody who hauls ***** all the time, but - while I am waiting for the Sea of Cortez to warm up a little - I swim for exercise with fins at least a few times a week in a 25 meter pool (with snorkeling gear only). In a little over 50 minutes I can cover the same distance in split fins that it takes me 1 hour to cover in Jet Fins. And that's not hauling *ss, that's just cruising (with a few "sprints" thrown into the mix).

I swim sets of 18 lengths (12 on the surface, 6 submerged), mixing strokes according to a set pattern, so in the course of an hour I crawl, breast stroke, side stroke, and swim submerged with a flutter or modified flutter, frog kick, and dolphin kick. In most sets, I will only sprint 2 lengths, and all the rest of it is just cruising. The split fins are faster at both speeds - which means, to put it in another and probably more useful way - require less effort at the same speed.

Stirling:
River Rat: "I compared my Jets against some stiff splits in a pool and found that my Jets are very strong "off the line" so to speak. The splits felt "flimsy" but if you start to haul *** and modify your flutter kick they did seem to start to "become" more efficient, requiring less effort to swim. But my question is, who swims around a reef at FULL BORE continuously during the course of a dive?"

I never owned anything *but* a pair of JetFins for more than 30 years (older than somebody here who has never met me but is convinced I don't know how to swim) until I bought the split fins last year. I agree the JetFins feel faster "off the line" (although I don't know if that actually so), and at first, I thought my top end speed was greater with the JetFins, too because they just felt faster than the split fins. I found out they're not.

I don't know anybody who hauls ***** all the time, but - while I am waiting for the Sea of Cortez to warm up a little - I swim for exercise with fins at least a few times a week in a 25 meter pool (with snorkeling gear only). In a little over 50 minutes I can cover the same distance in split fins that it takes me 1 hour to cover in Jet Fins. And that's not hauling *ss, that's just cruising (with a few "sprints" thrown into the mix).

I swim sets of 18 lengths (12 on the surface, 6 submerged), mixing strokes according to a set pattern, so in the course of an hour I crawl, breast stroke, side stroke, and swim submerged with a flutter or modified flutter, frog kick, and dolphin kick. In most sets, I will only sprint 2 lengths, and all the rest of it is just cruising. The split fins are faster at both speeds - which means, to put it in another and probably more useful way - require less effort at the same speed.

Hey Stirling:
Good post. My observations were "personal" and the testing "limited" at best in a pool. Thanks for posting your more in depth outlook on the subject. And I don't doubt for one minute that you have excellent swimming skills. I suppose I would have to start diving splits in a real world environment to get a better feel for their overall performance as compared to my Jets. I'm just so turned off to splits because all I hear from the local crowd is "you gotta have 'em" and I'm sick of LDS' trying to sell them to me whether I want them or not. I guess it comes down to weighing the pluses and minuses of each. And for some divers one or the other may be a better choice.

I've tried Split Fins twice. The first time was with my traditional BCD, and the Split Fins were OK but nothing more. In fact my Force Fins were a much better choice since they don't stir up mud or sand as the Split Fins did.

Later I've gotten a single tank wing and a backplate/web configuration. To my surprise my Force Fins felt like I was kicking air. The Split Fins felt just the same! I think it's because I don't have as much drag through the water as I used to have, and each kick tend to get me a bit further forward than before...

I've tried out Scubapro Jet Fins twice with my new configuration, and guess what, my Force Fins are for sale :wink:

-And I won't even consider buying Split Fins. So, there's my opinion to the matter.

Another advantage of jets: If you ever decide you want proper trim (to be steamlined and suck down less gas) the fact that jets are a few Lbs negative helps fine-tune trim - it's great having having a nice counter weight on your feet to play with.

Again, if you buys splits, don't expect to be to frog kick worth anything, swim backwards, or doing any other cool propulsions - stick with straight leg flutter and then try to convince everyone that the kick doesn't kick up the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom