Split Fins WHich ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally got a chance to test out the Apollo Bios (Black) a couple of weeks ago...

One word... un-&*^$*%#$%*%-believable!!

The Atomics I'd been using are very good, however, a bit large, and stiffer than the Apollo black (the Atomics approximate the same stiffness as the Apollo XTs).

The Apollos absolutely "disappear" on your feet... you literally don't know they're there, however, you're moving along at the slightest flutter.

I ordered a pair of Innovative spring straps ($22) for them. The Innovatives are much cheaper than the Apollos, and don't require permanent modification of the fin. Can't believe I've been diving so long without them...

I'm a relatively strong swimmer, however, I'm obviously impressed with the Apollo blacks. I don't do tech or cave diving, so a frog kick isn't important to me...

Good luck...

I tried several. Hated the atomics - too stiff and long resulting in sore ankles. Tusa Zooms won by far - more speed with less work. Wish I had a chance to try apollo's.

The trick to speed with little effort is a short quick straight-leg flutter kick.

fq1234:
Has anyone here used both the black and the yellow bio fins?

I'd really like to know if there is a noticeable difference. I originally ordered the black with springs but they are out of stock. They are offering me the yellow fins instead.

I'm trying to figure out if I'll regret getting the yellow later (due to the hardness difference).

Thanks for any help.

So no one's tried both the black and the yellow versions?

fq1234:
So no one's tried both the black and the yellow versions?

The black bio-fin pro models have a durometer hardness of 65-66. The yellow, blue, white, pink models have color additive and have a durometer of between 66-70. The current production Yellow model is closer to 66-68. It would be hard to notice the difference in the water. The only bio-fin that will feel "stiff" is the bio-fin XT with a durometer hardness of 75.

Thanks for the input.

I went ahead and ordered the yellow ones with the spring straps. They arrived today. I can't wait to try them out this weekend.

One note for anyone buying bio-fins. I originally ordered the L size which is for mens size 11-13. I wear size 12 and use hard sole boots. My boots didn't fit in the fins so I had to exchange them for the LL which is size 13-15. You might want to try them on before buying. I ended up costing myself about $35 in extra shipping charges for the new fins and to return the old ones.

Hard sole booties usually mean one size bigger than your regular shoe size might otherwise imply. I had the same thing happen, but fortunately my LDS swapped them for me no problem.

fq1234:
Thanks for the input.

I went ahead and ordered the yellow ones with the spring straps. They arrived today. I can't wait to try them out this weekend.

One note for anyone buying bio-fins. I originally ordered the L size which is for mens size 11-13. I wear size 12 and use hard sole boots. My boots didn't fit in the fins so I had to exchange them for the LL which is size 13-15. You might want to try them on before buying. I ended up costing myself about $35 in extra shipping charges for the new fins and to return the old ones.

I think that you got the sizing wrong.

According to Apollo's website the sizing is as follows:
M = Men's 8-9
L = Men's 9-10
LL = Men's 11(wide) - 13+

liuk3:
I think that you got the sizing wrong.

According to Apollo's website the sizing is as follows:
M = Men's 8-9
L = Men's 9-10
LL = Men's 11(wide) - 13+

Thank you!

You are correct. I ordered my fins off scuba.com. The sizes they have listed are different than the apollo website. Strange, maybe I can get some of my shipping fees back.

Back
Top Bottom