Split Fins WHich ones?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmills:
Go buy the fins and go diving more than 2x a year!! Either are good choices. I like the rubber on the Apollo's but like I said they aren't very "pretty". I agree the Atomics are hot looking. Fact is.....both are good fins and highly rated. You won't make a mistake here either way.

I know on the Atomics I purchased the after market spring straps for $30 rather than the ones from the manufacturer. At the time, it was my only option. I do highly recommend the spring straps regardless of which one you go with. Easy on, Easy off which to me is nice when you are hanging off a ladder in 4-6 foot swells. Again, comfortable. Do you need them? Nope. Are they a really nice thing to have? Yep for sure.

Thanks TJ,
I think I've made my mind up. I've got to get a new pair of boots so that I make sure I get the right size. Wish I could dive more than 2 weeks a year but since I don't want to dive cold water my options are limited for now...:)

I have been diving Atomic Split for two years and they are holding up great. I am still diving the orginal fins staps. But I will like to try a pair of the spring straps but will have to wait a little longer.

Yes the Electric Blue and Reef Red are both a little postive.

Yes, you can do frog kick and back up. Cause pretty much the only kick I use is a frog kick. But then again it might only be because I practice every time I am in the water.

I looked at a new pair of Atomic "Smoke on the water" the other day and they are nice. But I would really like to have them in clear and the smoked inserts.

My dad has a pair of the Black ScubaPro Twin Jets that have used a few times and they are also nice but just seem a little heavy to me.

Both of the fins are nice and I am also faster with them and easier on my knees than the Quatros I did use.

MichaelBaranows:
I have been diving Atomic Split for two years and they are holding up great. I am still diving the orginal fins staps. But I will like to try a pair of the spring straps but will have to wait a little longer.

Yes the Electric Blue and Reef Red are both a little postive.

Yes, you can do frog kick and back up. Cause pretty much the only kick I use is a frog kick. But then again it might only be because I practice every time I am in the water.

I looked at a new pair of Atomic "Smoke on the water" the other day and they are nice. But I would really like to have them in clear and the smoked inserts.

My dad has a pair of the Black ScubaPro Twin Jets that have used a few times and they are also nice but just seem a little heavy to me.

Both of the fins are nice and I am also faster with them and easier on my knees than the Quatros I did use.

Do you think that the slight positiveness has any drawbacks?

............ Apollo ........... BIO ............. Fins ...............

I've had Jets, older and newer versions. Plana's and have used a bit more. I've tried Atomics and was going to buy a pair before a friend lent me his Bio's. To me they are the best fins I ever owned ... period.

When I hear others say they have to use Jets or Turttles when diving dry they give the extra push needed, are that splits cause more silt in overheard enviroments. I guess they might if others say so it's just never happens to me.

Bio Fins. Ideally, Bio Fin XTs, IMO, but then, for the warm waters you're diving, the yellow ones may be the way to go. The XTs give you a little more oomph, and since the OP is a strong swimmer, they'd be a big hit.

For warm water and easy reef dives, however, I would be quite happy with the yellow bio fins.

Get the spring straps. Really. They truly are worth it. Do a simple poll here on the board and skeptic after skeptic will come forward saying the finally tried and and now are hooked.

The Apollos are good fins, and look pretty, but they are long and harder to maneuver in. They're also not as rugged as the bio fins, whose natural rubber material will probably outlast YOU.

I have the TUSA X-Pert Zooms in all black (the all black ones are quite a bit stiffer than the 2 tone ones) and absolutely love them. Wouldn't trade them for any other fin out there. Just my 2 psi. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I think I've decided on the Atomics but the black & silver ones not the liquid blues. The dive shop that I went to today said that I can try them in the pool and if I don't like them I can swap them for a different pair but judging from what the woman in the store told me (and she dives with those fins) I think I'm going to like them. I'll let you know when I have my FINAL ANSWER!
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom