Split fins or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grish, if you need to feel the pain, get some Quattros. The XS Powerfin is also well regarded unlike jets of yore. I'm guessing that the rubber compound was changed a few years ago because the old jets could not perform much beyond mediocre. If you want to fly underwater and also on British Airways, etc, get a pair of Oceanic Caribe. They weigh next to nothing and will zip along with the best, and faster than any Force Fin. What I'm saying is that after you get tired of lugging jet fins and bulging out your leg veins with the Quattro, get the latest technology that the industry has, and they're cheap. That would be the Oceanic Caribe or (almost forgot) the Mares Avanti Superchannel. Personally, after hearing your imaginary concerns distilled from listening to some bonehead diver acquaintances, the Superchannel should be the better choice. That will really pizz off your buds; once when you buy them and second, when you push by them underwater. Get the FF type and wear soft booties. You know I'm right. Quibbling about whether you are being unduly influenced by Scubaboard or simply by "divers" tells the tale. Like I said.
Pesky

Sigh...again...I had these feelings before I talked to anyone. Talking to others confirmed that I wasn't actually imagining things. You may not agree, but these are my experiences. You should really try to be a tad less condescending about something that is clearly a matter of opinion if you want the person you're speaking to to actually consider your suggestions. It's ridiculously off putting.

On a side note, I never said I wanted to feel pain. But thanks for taking the time to make suggestions anyway.

So what is exactly a 'frog kick' I feel stupid asking this question!

well; lot of us waiting for the answer (me included) :D

The Frog Kick is another swimming method usually used when swimming near a soft silty seabed or murky bottom of sorts as not to stir it up limiting or completely destroying visibility. It's like the equivalent of the breast-stroke but with the legs. The knees are slightly bent and drawn upward-then outward, so the legs can be brought together in kind of an arc formation.

It can also be used for minor buoyancy and trim adjustments
since it has a long glide phase.

Sigh...again...I had these feelings before I talked to anyone. Talking to others confirmed that I wasn't actually imagining things. You may not agree, but these are my experiences. You should really try to be a tad less condescending about something that is clearly a matter of opinion if you want the person you're speaking to to actually consider your suggestions. It's ridiculously off putting.

On a side note, I never said I wanted to feel pain. But thanks for taking the time to make suggestions anyway.

:popcorn:

You may want to give the Dive Rite fins a try. I personally use a pair of cressi frogs and I love them; though, when I replace them it will be with a pair of the Dive Rites.

Gosh, Scott if you only knew, I like to have fun making fins. If folks like you and pescador775 don't like us that's ok. I happen to like what Meesier states. He is much more mellow than I. You would never want to know my true feelings!!!!

Last edited:
Spin doctor, so predictable, the self promotion is shameless and the tantrums are comical, keep 'em coming.

I've only ever been diving with my split fins that I bought during my OW class...and after getting a reasonable amount of wear with them and as I fine tune my skills and expand my kick types, I'm starting to get the sense that there are some major limitations to them.

I feel like they are less effective against currents, they aren't good for frog kicking, and something in the design makes them difficult to use to make directional changes. I have no idea why I feel this way, I have no experience with anything else, but part of me is thinking that they are great for someone who wants to flutter or scissor only, and in mild conditions only.

Am I imagining this or have other people had this experience and been turned off by them? I'm feeling about ready to just switch over to some jet fins. I'm open to other suggestions as well.
I say give the Jets a try. I'm new to diving, but not new to fins. I grew-up in Navy housing in Coronado, CA (home of SEAL/UDT training) and we had free access to both Jets and Duck Feet fins. We would use the Duck Feet for body surfing when the waves were no fun to surf and the Jets when there were no waves and we'd go snorkeling or spearfishing. Since you're athletic, the Jets would be a great fin. They got me out a few sticky situations when I was caught in a cave in places like La Jolla Cove, when a large wave came in an flooded the entire thing and you needed an instant and sustained burst of speed to get out before you ended-up splatted on the back wall.

Now that I'm diving I use splits (Scuba Pro Twin Jet Max) and have no problem with them. Since they are more flexible than the Jets, but stiffer than Duck Feet, I expected there to be some differences in how they worked. Funny thing about what people are saying with regards to certain kick types and splits. When I first started using them I used them in the same way I would the Jets. Using all of the same kicks I had been doing for decades. Now I'm guessing since I didn't know I was supposed to be having problems with certain kicks, like the frog, back, or helicopter, I didn't have any problems. But like I said, I expected them to be a little slower in reacting than the Jets, so I planned for it. The thing I like about my splits is that they fit the type of diving I like perfectly. That is to say, slow, Sunday drive, sight-seeing type of diving. And they allow me to do this with minimal effort. Where as the Jets are like drag racers and require a good amount of effort to actually keep them slowed down.

My point is. . . One type or set of fins may not be the answer, but, if budget allows, several types of fins may be. You'd just simply grab the set that's best suited for whatever type of activity you're doing, cave diving, drift diving, snorkeling, body surfing, pool laps, etc.

Pescador775- "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred with dust and sweat; who strives valiantly; who errs and may fail again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who does know the great enthusiasm, the great devotion; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold or timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat -Theodore Roosevelt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom