Split fins or no?!? I can't decide! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing to keep in mind is what kind of environments you're going to be diving. If you're going to be in silty/sandy areas, you might want to steer clear of splits. Silty and sandy areas fairly scream for divers to do an alternative kick to the flutter, typically going to a frog kick so you can be close to the bottom and not kick up too much silt.

I'll never forget the first time we were diving with 2 people who had splits. We were on a liveaboard in Belize and diving this huge sand flat full of conchs, thus anywhere there was a coral formation, you were pretty much guaranteed to find an octopus. We were enjoying looking through the grassy area for seahorses and were about to head over to a coral formation where an octopus was (someone else was there taking pictures), when the 2 divers with splits came swimming through. They had an enormous silt trail following them, and silted the area up so badly that viz went from over 80' to under 20'.

We've had the same thing happen at dive sites on Maui, so now when we go to those sites, I usually speak up during the dive briefing and mention how easy it is to silt the site out. Then the DMs do a great job talking with folks about doing frog kicks or simply staying a bit more off the bottom if they have split fins or flutter kick.

Bio fins original black. Get the spring straps too. Your dive shop will probably have some straps for about 40.00 so you can give them buisness, but you can get the fins on ebay for 100.00 or less, sometimes new for close to that. I did a test with several fins including the Atomics, Scubapro twin jets, and had to throw in the old Jet fins and a pair of Tusa Liberators which I had used for years. I tested for power take off, speed, all kicking styles(straghtahead,skull,backwards,ect). The old Jet Fins were the most versatle, but they will make you hurt too. The Liberators were ok but low performance compared. The twin Jets were ok but nothing to write home about. The Atomics were a very nice fin. They seemed to do everything well and most of all go fast with way less effort. Well I ended up with the old Jet fins. They were ok and cheap. Then I went to Hawaii for some shore diving with some long kick outs. Foot cramp central. Went home and went on quest to find the right fins for me. Well the Bio fins have been winning the scuba tests since the begining of splits,why not try them. So I did. Long story short. I would recommend Bio Fins to anyone hands down,for comfort, durability,speed, bouyancy, quality, packabilty(length) and with spring straps even more of a plus. Atomics were nice too, but the Bio are more comfy and felt more natural in the water,for me. John

[...]when the 2 divers with splits came swimming through. They had an enormous silt trail following them, and silted the area up so badly that viz went from over 80' to under 20'.
this has everything to do with technique and experience & nothing to do with the fins themselves. the OW students i help with make just as much mess with blade fins as with split.

keep feet up & do modified flutter and there's no problem.

My first pair of fins were basic open heel paddles, Mares Plana Avanti (bought them because they were cheap), and they were good, sturdy fins that were easy to learn with. Speed wasn't the best though, and I eventually decided to upgrade to something a little higher-end. I did some research and the bio-fins were consistently rated at the top of performance tests. Got a used pair on e-bay for a little under a hundred bucks, and it was a good decision. It took me a couple of dives to become comfortable with them, as split-fins require a different kicking style than the paddles do, but now that I've adjusted to them I absolutely love them. They're fast, low effort, and comfy. I think the best option would be to try out a couple of different fin styles and see what you're most comfortable with. If you buy fins used on ebay, you can always turn around and sell them for essentially zero loss if you don't like em.

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that I don't like split fins. I've owned maybe 10 different models and didn't get on with any of them. My first pair of Mares Plana Avantis was a revelation, and I've used them ever since. Though my last pair now have a new owner (grrr!) and I'm currently using a Sherwood look-alike that actually performs pretty well. As the number of flex slots goes up (the Avanti has two, some other model whose name I can't think of has three, and the Quattro has four) I get less keen as I find them too floppy. Mares fins are also well made and I've never heard of a pair of their open-heel fins giving out in normal use.

Better still for propulsion are the old rubber Jet Fins, made by several manufacturers including Scubapro and OMS. Favourites with tech divers who are carting a lot of gear around. I can't wear any of them as I find the footbeds too short on all that I've tried and given the stiffness of the fin it flexes right on the little bones on top of my foot. Excruciating!

I can guarantee that a competent diver using "paddles" such as these Mares fins will go faster with less effort than anyone using any of the split fins that I've ever used. The only thing faster in my experience is freedive fins. A friend who uses those can easily overhaul a passing dolphin or turtle.

The only different style of fin that I might be persuaded to get is the Force Fin, but they are extremely expensive, very wide so only really usable for a frog kick, and when I did have a pair some years ago I wasn't impressed.

As they say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I'm very happy with my Plana Avantis. And when someone adopts them as their own it doesn't pain me so much.

Two other important topics concerning fins:-
(1) should you use open-heel or full-foot?
(2) what colour should you use? Be careful - this isn't down to the colour you prefer to see, as there are objective considerations.

The only different style of fin that I might be persuaded to get is the Force Fin, but they are extremely expensive, very wide so only really usable for a frog kick, and when I did have a pair some years ago I wasn't impressed.

The width of ForceFins is a highly tested thing. They are as wide as they can be without hitting each other in a flutter kick. Expense, their price is in line with pretty much every other top end fins. The ForceFin Original is $150 and the Pro $220. Considering that my LDS sells the Mares Superchannel for $180 and the Atomic Splits for $250 with the spring.

Overhaul a passing dolphin with ANY fin? :rofl3:

I own, and have dove a LOT of fins. I currently use the Manta Rays (paddle), Force Fins (paddle), and BioFins (split). I've also owned or tried most every form of Jet style fin, Mares Quattros, Mares Velo's, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

For most divers IMO splits are what one wants for most ocean diving, and diving where one has a sandy bottom. IOW's not likely to silt things up easily.

I like Bio-Fins for ocean diving. Diving in current in Coz, I had very little problems kicking into current where others were struggling. Splits do well with flutter kicking, and frog kicking for the most part. What many don't like about them is that they don't have as much traction. They are the most comfortable fin I've ever used, but they are heavy.

When I'm diving in lakes I generally use the paddle fins. The Manta Rays are OK fins, but not good for speed. The Force Fins are a real good fin, but they have stiff foot pockets, and are not as comfortable as either the Manta's or the BioFins.

Basically the Biofins are my favorites for most conditions, but they are a bit floppy. IMO, the first consideration with fins should be comfort.

Another thing to keep in mind is what kind of environments you're going to be diving. If you're going to be in silty/sandy areas, you might want to steer clear of splits. Silty and sandy areas fairly scream for divers to do an alternative kick to the flutter, typically going to a frog kick so you can be close to the bottom and not kick up too much silt.

I'll never forget the first time we were diving with 2 people who had splits. We were on a liveaboard in Belize and diving this huge sand flat full of conchs, thus anywhere there was a coral formation, you were pretty much guaranteed to find an octopus. We were enjoying looking through the grassy area for seahorses and were about to head over to a coral formation where an octopus was (someone else was there taking pictures), when the 2 divers with splits came swimming through. They had an enormous silt trail following them, and silted the area up so badly that viz went from over 80' to under 20'.

We've had the same thing happen at dive sites on Maui, so now when we go to those sites, I usually speak up during the dive briefing and mention how easy it is to silt the site out. Then the DMs do a great job talking with folks about doing frog kicks or simply staying a bit more off the bottom if they have split fins or flutter kick.

I have seen people do that with standard fins.

If you look at all the speed tests, energy usage, etc, etc tests... spits win hands down - it is not even close. Even if you don't like one specific tester, there are now enough different tests to indicate that they are far more efficient. Perhaps even more surprising is they can be extremely fast in a frog kick..and even more surprising than that, is that they should have produced far less bottom disturbance than someone with standard fins doing a frog kick.

So why the huge difference in perception???

It has to do with the kick being used. The most efficient kick with a split fin is not one that can even be done with any normal fin...which explains why no one knows how to do it. It is not fast.. it is not little flutters..it is a kick that is sort of like riding a bicycle...which uses the big muscles of the leg. I have both, and am amazed at how different they are.

If done correctly, far more of the water if forced directly backwards...which is more efficient.

All those tests involved people being first trained in how to use the fins...for around a week...not something most people get to do.

The frog kick with them is a totally different kick also, one I have seen in a video, but honestly cannot do well..maybe one day.

I have 5 different pairs of fins, and do a lot of pool swimming with them...if, and only if I change methods, are the splits actually faster and easier to swim with....better than 10% faster.

My favorite is Apollo....

And I like them for another reason... I lost a fin (I know, stupid thing to do)... and they got me a replacement....try doing that with any regular fin company.

I acknowledge that people have their own preferences and there are many factors that feed these. Length and strength of legs and ankles is one major factor. But so-called objective tests are spurious. I have owned and used many different types of fin, and have used extensively several types of split fin. I can say for certain that for me and for people I have watched in my six years of running a resort dive operation, split fins of any type haven't performed to the level of the best solid fins. I'm not saying they can't, but that in my observation they haven't.

As to Force Fins, I find, and many others I have watched have also found, that the fins are too wide for a comfortable flutter kick. Mind you, the same is true for many people of Jet Fins. Speaking personally, the frog kick is something I rarely do as I find it uncomfortable, so Force Fins for me have far more disadvantages than benefits. I also find them extremely costly - I haven't paid even as much as $100 for a pair of fins in the last ten years, and since fins tend to go missing in a busy dive operation I'm reluctant to spend a great deal more for no perceived benefit. What others do with their money is up to them.

I intend to replace my appropriated Plana Avantis with new Plana Avantis, as for me they are the best all-round fin. I shall also buy a pair of open-heel freedive fins. My cost for neither will exceed about $80. I should add that I do a lot of technical diving with heavy gear, such as with a CCR, and I need fins that will give effective propulsion for minimal movement. When swimming gently I often just fin from my ankles, and I suspect i'd find that even easier with freedive fins. If there were Jet Fins with longer and more comfortable footbeds I'd probably use those, for the efficiency with which they translate foot movement into movement through the water.

I've never seen freedive fins in bright colours, but my new Plana Avantis will be yellow, as the previous ones were. As I hinted above, there is an objective reason for this. I like diving in kelp forests off Britain/California etc, and the seals that frequent those forests are attracted to yellow. Many is the time when I or a friend have been there with yellow fins when a seal has grabbed a fin and tried to drag me backwards. Very gently, and evidently in play. This has happened to no-one I know using fins of any other colour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom