Split fins or no?!? I can't decide! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apollo bio are my fin of choice . My experience between paddle and split fins are , splits are very good under the surface , paddles have much more power on the surface . I still own a pair of scubapro jet fins , and a pair of apollo bio fins . The jets are for work and the bios for play .

Welcome Luvs2dive,

Would like for you to borrow/rent/try on a number of different fins to get a better idea of how they kick for you. I use Atomic open heel splits for most rec diving. If the water is warm, I also have a pair of full foot Apollo Biofins. They are much shorter and in my opinion, more manuverable. My Atomics are a older model, far stiffer than the Apollo's, and for me, faster in a straight line. I use a pair of Dive Rite paddle fins for wreck penetration, since I find both of the splits don't work well for me for frog, modified frog, helicopter, or backing up.

The new Atomic "Smoke on the water" splits are supposed to be more flexible than the older models, which should be easier to kick. Maybe someone reading this tread would be kind enough to chime in.

If OMS would FINALLY come out with a MEDIUM size Slipstream, I'll probably be done buying fins. (Rant Over) Also recommend getting the spring straps. I really like mine.

Good luck.

I dive a lot and I'm not much of a fan of splits. Do you ever see fish with split fins?? While they're easy to kick you trade out power and speed and forget about backing up in them. I find they require a higher kick rate which in turn leads to increased energy and air consumption. If you can, try before you buy. I can almost guarantee someone in your class will have some that they wouldn't mind letting you check out.

The Craigslist idea is good advice too.

Have you heard of Mor-Fins? They're pretty new to the scene and they might be just what you're looking for if you like an easy kicker that performs well and is compact for traveling too. Supposedly they will soon be available in pink.

Last edited:
Splits DO NOT maneuver as well as paddles, and they don't frog kick, or scull as well either. but they do flutter kick better and at a lower workload, but you have to make up for it with higher kick rates. They are not for everyone, but for many, whom dive exclusively in warm, clear water, a couple of times a year within the recreational limits, they are fine.

True - "Splits do not maneuver as well as paddles".

However, my buddy and I both use Apollo Bio-Split fins and we dive almost exclusively in cold (48 degrees Fahrenheit last Friday), murky (6 foot vis), at least every other week year round, jetty diving, in current/heavy surge, hunting/spearing, and gathering in Oregon's Pacific Ocean Bays. About a year ago, I forgot them and used my backup paddles and I was reminded why I love my splits. However, you can't backup with them, and as I said earlier, for photography I recommend my "paddles".

drdaddy

Okay first of all I am NOT wanting to start any type of argument! I've searched and searched and still can't make up my mind! I'm a new diver and I was set on ordering some Atomic split fins and now I'm having second thoughts?! At 190 bucks I don't want to get them and hate them. Currently I have the Tusa Imprex Tri-Ex fins and I don't like them at all! They are reallyyy stiff and very tiring. I'm a 5'5 female with weak little legs so I need some fins that don't take a TON of strength to kick. Do you think Atomic split fins will be okay? Are they relatively easier to kick than paddle fins? I really need your guys help!

-Rachael

I like split fins but I do think 190 bucks is way to much. I have aeris split fins, and I find then less tiring, and my foot does not cramp compare to when I use my paddle fins. I find I can turn quicker with split fins then paddle fins. My wife have used my aeris volicity xp and her friends tusa x-pert zoom. And she find the Tusa x-pert zoom was the less stiff and even easier to kick with then my Aeris. Here couple links it coulld save you some money.

Atomic Aquatics Split Fins
Tusa X-Pert Zoom Open Heel Split Fins (SF-8)

Tusa Zoom Split fins in certain colors are on clearance at various shops. scubatoys.com has some, the site shows the below available:

Product Available
L/XL Red - 6
L/XL Silver - 7
L/XL White - 12
M/L White - 8
XS/S Red - 8

For $70 shipped you can't go wrong. They where originally about $150. I bought my fiance a set of them in M/L White and they are a great looking and quality fin.

I would also check around at other places like scuba.com and leisurepro.com if you want to possibly snag another color. Those two sites had them for about the same price a month or two ago, but who knows what they have now.

I dive a lot and I'm not much of a fan of splits. Do you ever see fish with split fins??

fwiw the developer of the "split fin" design* (nature's wing fin design) claims to have looked to aquatic mammals for inspiration.

sea lions for example certainly have fins which look more like a split fin than a rigid paddle.
2257.jpg

* this one company licenses the design to all of the major manufacturers

fwiw the developer of the "split fin" design* (nature's wing fin design) claims to have looked to aquatic mammals for inspiration.

sea lions for example certainly have fins which look more like a split fin than a rigid paddle.
2257.jpg

* this one company licenses the design to all of the major manufacturers

the guy that developed the Natures Wing Patent did use an aquatic mammal for inspiration, the name of that mammal was Bob Evans. The "nature's wing" design is actually based on Bob Evans Designs Foil Force Fin that was shown at DEMA a year prior to the "nature's wing" patent being filed, this is the same fin that was stolen from the booth while Bob was visiting the men's room, he later learned that the person in question was seen photographing and measuring the fin. Further the Nature's Wing patent really isn't valid anyway, as their is an expired Italian patent on the split fin from the late 50's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom