Split fins or no?!? I can't decide! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luvs2Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Okay first of all I am NOT wanting to start any type of argument! I've searched and searched and still can't make up my mind! I'm a new diver and I was set on ordering some Atomic split fins and now I'm having second thoughts?! At 190 bucks I don't want to get them and hate them. Currently I have the Tusa Imprex Tri-Ex fins and I don't like them at all! They are reallyyy stiff and very tiring. I'm a 5'5 female with weak little legs so I need some fins that don't take a TON of strength to kick. Do you think Atomic split fins will be okay? Are they relatively easier to kick than paddle fins? I really need your guys help!

-Rachael

You will really love them. But I think that you can get them for maybe a little less. Go to your local dive shop. They may even have a pair you can try out.

drdaddy

Thanks for your reply! I would love to try them out before I purchase them but I didn't think they would let me do that?! They just started making them in pink and black and I can only find them at ONE store online (for $190). My classes start in 2 weeks so maybe I'll wait and see if my dive shop can get them for cheaper.

You don't need them (pink bios) for your class. And you may find that someone else has a pair (probably not pink :) ) that you could try out. My PADI Instructor son and I both have split fins and love them. We were just diving last Friday (Jan 22) and talked about them for some time. There are a couple of things that I will tell you about them. One is that you can't go backwards very easy with split fins. For this reason you will never see a professional dive photographer with them on. So when I am going to do underwater photography and need to stay still or be very maneuverable, I wear my old jet fins (black stiff fins with lots of torque - rated #1 by many underwater photographers). However, for tooling around and chasing fish (hunting/spearing) and seals and just swimming against (and with) current - I love my Apollo Bio-fins. I can really power around all day and not feel tired or crampy like I do with other fins. I really hope you can try some out.

Enjoy your dive class. And remember - don't get talked into buying a bunch of equipment like backboards (especially "pseudo tec" stuff) or drysuits. Just rent for a little bit and find out what you like before you buy a lot. But to really get the most out of diving, you will eventually want to buy.

Try to buy from your LDS (local dive shop) rather than from the internet as they will be around to give you advice/courses, service/repairs, and air (fill your tanks). Now that I've said that - Craigslist is a good place to look for used equipment as well, but when you do this - always ask the person about their dive experiences and why they are getting rid of what they are selling. This will help keep you from stolen stuff (I have passed up some deals that were too good). I recently bought a backup BCD this way (I wanted the old model because I didn't like the new model's "improvements"). One of the reason that you can find good stuff on craigslist is that they bought a bunch of new expensive stuff when they took the class, found that they didn't need/want it and moved on to another hobby (or they are upgrading). Their stuff sits around for a couple of years and they get tired of hauling it around, so they sell it. Or, I found an older couple who went all over the World diving. They kept their stuff up, but when they got to be around 80, they slowed down and hung out with grandchildren more than diving. They had a lot of memories to share and really gave me some great deals. Another person I bought from was a widow. Her husband was about 40 and sadly died of cancer. I got some really nice stuff (and made sure she wasn't ripped off) and spent a considerable amount of time letting her talk about her husband (I'm a psychologist). But for new, you want to buy from your LDS - I even tell them what prices I find on-line (and they know I will not buy on-line) and they have really given me some competitive prices, and then I don't have to feel funny (guilty) asking them how to use the computer or whatever gadget it is that I need serviced. Oh, I also tell them when and where I buy craigslist stuff - sometimes they even know the people.

drdaddy

my wife has a total right hip replacement (thanks motorbikes!) and wasn't a strong swimmer to start with. when she got a pair of oceanic v12's (one of the early split fin models) i had to buy a pair too since she became able to out-distance me too easily !

split fins in general are not good if you're diving near line or other entanglement hazards, and make some advanced kicking methods more difficult, but they are much more comfortable for day-to-day recreational reef diving.

IMO splits are best for folks with a smaller flutter kick style. In my experience, those who have a bigger flutter kick, and would naturally kick bigger when more speed/power is needed will quickly overkick splits, rendering them useless. With splits, speed is attained through keeping very small and rapid flutter kicks.

Folks who prefer alternate kick styles like frog kicking will do better with paddles.

there is nothing wrong with Splits, however, I DO NOT RECOMMEND ATOMICS. I had a pair, stupid things lasted about 13 months and the panels started falling out. If you are dead set on splits get the Apollo Bio-Fin, the one piece construction is much more durable and the foot pocket is more comfortable. Every review of them shows they are a match for performance with the Atomic, so go for durability.

to answer your question about easier to kick, well yes and no.
Yes- you will have less load on your muscles and joints
No- you have to kick at a high rate to go anywhere quickly

its similar to gearing on a bike, big muscles can turn big gears slowly to climb a hill, but fast muscles can spin lower gears and get up the hill just as quickly. the question for you, is which type of kick do you have?
The problem with splits in currents is, even though they are normally faster in a sprint, that few people have the physical fitness to sustain such a high rate of kick and they tire quickly, but then the same people don't have the strength to overcome a current with any fin either, but they blame splits for their lack of skill and training.

Splits DO NOT manuever as well as paddles, and they don't frog kick, or scull as well either. but they do flutter kick better and at a lower workload, but you have to make up for it with higher kick rates. They are not for everyone, but for many, whom dive exclusively in warm, clear water, a couple of times a year within the recreational limits, they are fine.

Last edited:
My experience is more snorkel, but I have been through a crap ton of fins over the last decade. I find that split fins are less forgiving on paddle skill but easier on the muscles/joints out of the box. Once you find the sweet spot on a quality split fin they seem to paddle with excellent results. The traditional style seems to be far more forgiving on paddle style but tend to fatigue a bit more. Just like the split fins with performance once you hit the sweet spot fatigue becomes less of an issue. In heavy current 100' down, this opinion could change as I don't have enough experience to speak to that scenario. In the end, I think it depends mostly on the swimmer. Some people pop on a split fin and tear through the water because that style matches them best likewise with traditional styles.

I haven't tried the Morfin so no idea how it performs. All that said and IMO, I haven't found anything that paddles as well as a full foot fin. Course with a full foot you have deal with some big minuses, but pound for pound I consider it one of the better performing fins especially for people with poor paddle skills.

we have the full foot atomic split fins and are very happy with them

Back
Top Bottom