**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:headscratch:Who actually uses a flutter kick....and why?

Most average divers.
It is what they used for swimming, snorkeling and what they used in their open water training.

Hunters and freedivers too, but I don't think that is where you were going. :)

Most average divers.
It is what they used for swimming, snorkeling and what they used in their open water training.

Hunters and freedivers too, but I don't think that is where you were going. :)

And of course if bursts of speed are required....

if this thread is back to life.... then we need to bring this back to life also

fins2.gif

I have arthritis, I have used both split fins and paddle fins. All I can tell you is the splits are much easier on my knees.

At last ... proof that split fins are dangerous ...

Smug-Diver-Magazine.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Split fins are the result of curious scientists splicing together a high-quality paddle fin with the extra chromosome that causes Down's syndrome. Scientific fact!

I have read this thread and enjoyed it. I was a ski and snowboard instructor for most of my adult life and I had to help people find a ski or board that flexed enough for the speed and type of turn they desired. Too stiff a ski was hard work and too soft a ski meant loss of control at higher speeds. How to find that right ski or board was fairly easy with the use of some 2x4 blocks of wood under the skis while you stood on them. If they squashed to the floor they were too soft, if they just touched or almost touched the floor was about right. Now if only there was a similar test for fin flex. I think that the split and other modifications have really been to make the fins flex more easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom