Split fins for reef diving newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think looking for "easy to kick" fins is a good criteria unless you actually have a specific physical problem you need to work around. Otherwise "easy" is mostly a matter of technique, practice and conditioning.

Most of the split fins are on the expensive side, and since you're new you won't really know if you like split fins in general until you try some. Some people love them and some people hate them. So you could easily drop a lot of money on something you'll hate. (Once you're more experienced it's easier to tell if you will like a fin - or for that matter any gear - from the descriptions and reviews people give. For example you might learn you don't like a fin that feels soft or doesn't give good feedback.)

Split fins also tend to be on the heavier side, and since it sounds like you'll be traveling you might find that isn't desirable. You can buy paddle fins that are light for travel, perform well, and are relatively inexpensive even new. You can also find some very good fins used, cheap. I often suggest looking for used US Divers Blades (original) or some version of the Plana Avantis. So if you have no way to try a bunch of fins in the pool I think simple and inexpensive is the best way to start. You might very well get lucky and love those first cheap fins for a long time. Or you might decide you'd prefer something different, but you'll be making an educated decision by then.

I'd say I'd like to budget $100 for a really nice pair of fins.

Is that reasonable?

And any suggestions on ones I should look at that fall into that price range?

How are the materials that they use these days? I dont want fins made of material that is going to crack or discolor over time. (Same goes with the mask & snorkel which I'm budgeting $150 for a really nice set)

After reading a lot of threads, it seems that most people suggest to start with paddle fins, but they themselves in fact have migrated to split fins.

I do plan on reef diving, so I dont want to just speed through things... but sometimes it it nice to be able to have that speed if needed.

So can split fins be fast?

I want my fins to be a safety measure that I can get out of a situation with them if needed, so hearing they dont do well in currents brings up some questions.

I was also considering the Aqualung Sling Shots... they seem to have gotten great reviews. I'm just not sure of size for travel.

I should also mention that I plan on doing 3-4 reef dives a day when I go to Cozumel in June. So I need a pair of fins that wont fatigue me that much & the split fins do sound like they help in that department. Not sure about the Sling shots though.

Last edited:
I'd say I'd like to budget $100 for a really nice pair of fins.

Is that reasonable?

And any suggestions on ones I should look at that fall into that price range?

How are the materials that they use these days? I dont want fins made of material that is going to crack or discolor over time. (Same goes with the mask & snorkel which I'm budgeting $150 for a really nice set)

Amazon.com: Cressi Gara 3000 LD Fins, Grey: Sports & Outdoors Should be massively better than any thing else you could try..and only $100
DanV

I am pretty new to diving and I personally did not like the way the split fins felt. My favorite fins are actually a pair that my more experienced dive friend essentially discarded because she didn't like them. It's all a matter of personal preference, and I agree with the poster that said to go try them on. Or go on a dive outing with your local dive club or shop and see if some people will let you kick around a little in some of their stuff. That way you get a feel for what works best for you.

I really like the Atomic Split fins.

Does anyone know their length & weight? Its not on the website?

Do these allow you to wear boots?

I'm a newbieI guess...

I want a pair that makes kicking easier?

The most important aspect of any fin is the diver to who's foot it is attached.

95% of divers have absolutely horrible propulsion techniques. For some the fin they use makes their propulsion a little better. For others, they need some certain kind of fin to compensate for crappy technique.

Divers who have truly good propulsion technique? Everyone has their preference, but most can get by with pretty much any fin really.

As a newbie, I suggest you focus more on your finning and less on your fin. That's the best was to make your kicking "easier" in the short and long-run.

Boy you have that right about the plethora of opinions. There are plenty of good choices that will work for the poster, split or otherwise. Try a few pairs to make an informed decision.

The specs & materials use along with the build quality of the Atomic Split fins seem high in the realm of whats available in the split fin category. And they've gotten good reviews.

To put this in perspective, I was with a group( 15) of very advanced Florida Divers ( people who dive every single week)....Diving at the Beqa. lagoon Resort ......Our group dove as well or better than any divemaster in Fiji....
Because of this, they took us to all "their" favorite hot spots, in addition to the main dives....With my freediving fins, there was never a time I felt like there was a current, certainly nothing compared to South Florida Drift Diving. There was however, one older florida diver, who used split fins....and on one day I did have to pull him the last 20 feet to the ladder, as he could not keep up with what I consider a mild current.

This difference between freedive fins and splits is enormous.....

Regards,
DanV

I'm very aware of it---our son free dives(used to anyway while living/working in Roatan for 3.5 years---left with 3400 -scuba- dives) to 110'.....The reason I know, he would make it to the bottom & wave to guests while they were diving the El Aguila---bottom depth ~110 FSW....& you guessed, he used long Avanti fins---he CAN'T STAND SPLITS........To each his own if what I tell him......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom