Split fins for reef diving newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find I'm spending more and more time on reef dives close to the bottom or the coral heads, looking at little things. Fins that will help with precise positioning, backing up, little turns, etc., are nice to have. I like my OMS Slipstreams, but many people like Jet fins for that type of control.

Perfecting your steamlining and trim will do more to ease the exertion of finning than any high-priced fin.

I've never dived with free-diving fins, but I would imagine that they would be a liability within confined spaces, or where silting was a hazard?

Perfecting your steamlining and trim will do more to ease the exertion of finning than any high-priced fin.

I've never dived with free-diving fins, but I would imagine that they would be a liability within confined spaces, or where silting was a hazard?
This is true.....I have to work much more carefully than I would with Jets on, if I am using my big freediving fins in a low overhead within a wreck ( where silting is an issue) or similar restriction type area in a cave with silt issues.....I am NOT pushing freedive fins for cave or serious wreck penetration....I use them for Open Water diving, where they are far more efficient than the jets, the splits, the or any of the other choices out there :) .
Regards,
DanV

I wont be doing much cave or wreck diving, just warm water reefing. There may be the occasional swim around a wreck, but I'm not really into going inside I dont think.

Seems split fins have a big fan base for reef diving. And the Atomic split fins have gotten some really good reviews across the board.

So have the Sling Shots too, but apparently these are on the heavier side & may be a bigger burden for travel than the Atomics will be.

I have the Atomic Smoke on the Water fin....among many others as well. They just seem to be the fin of choice for me - especially when drifting is the dive of the day.

I have the Atomic Smoke on the Water fin....among many others as well. They just seem to be the fin of choice for me - especially when drifting is the dive of the day.

I was thinking of going with the red pair, I like that color better & they seem to be almost identical to the smoke.

The red pair are also made with their "Lightweight High Energy Compound" which is shown in the same category as the Smoke. I would however upgrade the strap on the red pair to their SS spring with thumb loop.

I was thinking of going with the red pair, I like that color better & they seem to be almost identical to the smoke.

The red pair are also made with their "Lightweight High Energy Compound" which is shown in the same category as the Smoke. I would however upgrade the strap on the red pair to their SS spring with thumb loop.

As someone once said "The best way to get people to follow your advice is to find out what they want to do, and then advise them to do that."

I think you should get the red Atomic Split Fins. You'll love them!

:cool2:

The springs are a must. Would not buy them without them.

But man they are $70 just for the springs!

It does allow you to then keep the original straps in your SAD kit incase of bad luck.

But between the fins & straps, thats $270 retail! I hope I can find them for around $150 in red with the straps in Large (I wear a size 10 shoe)

Scubatoys has universal atomic springs for $39.95. But, you are right - they are not cheap. And yes, you do pay in part for the "name". But to me - I personally have not found anything I prefer more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom