Split Fin Physics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncleavi- Thank you for all your energy and support. As per my lost post I would like to stay on the questions that Blackwood -the OP- original asked. This is a great thread!

We are beginning to perfect and test fins in a new way that you or anyone else can simply make a dirt cheap investment to visualize the movement of water around the fins when moved through different kick cycles..

One of the many questions we should all be asking is what is the flat blade doing and what is a curved blade changing.
Is this as a profound question that was asked a long time ago? Is the Earth flat or is it round?:panicbutton:

Here is a test that allows to think further about fin physics. You will able to do this right in your home or office. NO WATER NECESSARY

Last edited:
Does this mean that there can't be a bernouilli-venturi effect underwater???

No, it doesn't mean that.

Compressibility isn't a requisite quality for the 'Bernoulli effect'. The way supersonic aircraft generate lift (as a general rule) is fundamentally different than subsonic aircraft, but that's a discussion for another forum.

I have been off this forum thread for several months, and would like to tell people what I have been up to. I've again been diving in the Clackamas River at my favorite spot at High Rocks. But this time I was checking out several pieces of gear, a very different device called the SeawiscopeEY (which I wrote about in the Bifocal Mask thread here), and I've again been experimenting with fins and swim styles. In the course of the last five or six dives, I've been comparing Bob Evan's original Force Fins with my home-made scoop fin design. At first, I actually took both pair on two single dives, and compared them in the currents.

Before I get into the actual dives this spring and summer, let me explain that I had a pair of Force Fins in the 1980s, and rejected them. At the time, I was Fin Swimming Director of the Underwater Society of America. I rejected them during surface swims in the North Umpqua River near my home, because I did not like how on the recovery stroke my feet tended to leave the water. This produced a lot of splashing, that did not happen with my scoop fin design. I did not take them on scuba dives, only surface swims. After a while, I lost one of the fins, and so have had only one until another pair turned up in the LDS and I bought them used. But rejecting the Force Fins a long time ago has proven to be a mistake on my part.

This spring and summer, in the first two comparison dives with my scoop fins, I found out that the Force Fins compared very favorably with my scoop fins underwater. But the stroke was markedly different. With the Force Fins, my stroke ended when my leg was horizontal with my body (this may not be true of later versions of the Force Fins, but is with this original version). With most regular fins, and my scoop fins, the stroke continues as the upper leg bends down below the horizontal plane of the body. I think this has to do with the biomechanics of the Force Fins, whereby the pivot is below the foot and not at the toes. This would also explain why the Force Fins do not disturb the bottom as much as other fins. The Force Fins, compared to my scoop fins, are lighter on my feet too (and my scoop fins are much lighter than then the Lightning Jet Fins I still keep as a comparison, or the various Mares fins). At times, I would pursue Northern Pike Minnows (a 1.5 foot fish native to the Clackamas River), and be able to keep up with them with both pair of fins.

(to be continued after supper...)

(...it's after supper.)

During supper, I re-read a chapter that Fred Roberts wrote in Basic Scuba titled "Swim Fin Analysis, Addendum to Chapter 9." In it he gives one of the best descriptions of vector analysis of swim fins that I've seen written anywhere. That is probably the engineer in him coming out. I also looked again at both the Duck Feet fins that I have and the Force Fin. This gave me insights into the physics of swim fins that may be helpful in describing what the Force Fin does. I'll await another time to do that analysis though, but did confirm that the Force Fin bending occurs behind the toes (toward the ankle), and not in front of the toes as in most fins.

As I said above, I have now done five scuba dives with Force Fins, four in the Clackamas River and one in the Columbia River. The last, in the Columbia River, was just a day ago. It was during the noon hour, and only 15 minutes long off a sandy beach into about 10 feet of water and a mud bottom. I saw some interesting close-ups of tiny tube worms, and a bivalve mollusk, but not much else. However, my fourth dive in the Clackamas River was after work last week, and I had forgotten my wet suit top. So I dove in only my swim suit and a T-shirt (67 degree water, and I have enough blubber of a 1/2 hour dive). But the other thing I forgot was my booties. I talked down to the river barefoot, put the fins on, and commenced with a half-hour dive. So I dove the Force Fins with an old half-foot sock I cut from my worn-out booties. During the dive I again pursued fish, and caught up with a few too. My exit spot was downstream, and consisted of climbing out of the river at a small park. The river bank was rocks, and the climb was about twenty-five feet vertical to the grass, then the rest of the way walking up a bike path to my car. Well, I was not too sure about doing this barefoot, so I decided to see how the Force Fin would do on land. I was able to climb up some rather steep areas, with small foot holds, with the Force Fins still on! I would not have even attempted this with any other fin, especially with the webbing on my scoop fin design. These other fins only negotiate land backwards. But I walked clear to my car (over 100 yards, and probably forty vertical feet) with the Force Fins on. My feet, well protected, approved.

I'll write some more over the weekend on what I see as the physics of the Force Fins, my scoop fins and the split fins which may look a bit different from what others have discussed before. But one part of these fins is undisputed--that I can walk and climb on land with them.

SeaRat

Last edited:
It may take a while, but I will attempt over the next week or two to put together an analysis of split fins, my scoop fin, and Force Fins as it was used by Fred Roberts in his book, Basic Scuba*. I will do it in the same manner as was put together in the two figures below that Fred Roberts included in his book. This looks at vector analysis, and Mr. Roberts' work was to show the advantages of the offset blade verses the straight blade.

SeaRat

*Roberts, Fred, Basic Scuba, Second Edition, D. Van Nostrand Company. Inc., Princeton, New Jersey, 1963, Pages 459-464.

Attachments

• Figure 1A.jpg
    Figure 1A.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Figure A-2.jpg
    Figure A-2.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom