Split fin hate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cut four inches off the end of some old solid fins, thus reducing how much water they could push and making it easier and more comfortable to fin, so they are just like split fins but cheaper, easier to walk in and they fit in my carryon luggage.
I tested them in a pool length swim against both full solid fins and bare feet/no fins:
No fins = 25 kicks to length of pool
Cut off fins = 4 kicks to length of pool
Whole fins = 3 kicks to length of pool.

I just tried some Scubapro Go Sport fins that @lexvil gave me and I am in ❤️LUUUUV😍!
Best fins I ever used for regular from the hip standard flutter kicking.

The hate for split fins began as soon as they arrived on scubaboard.

I have been saying and now I see you agree, the Scubapro Go-Sport is the best fin ever :yeahbaby:. At least until we get the Gorilla version in the States. Anything a Jet Fin can do, the Go-Sport does as well or better and saves 2 pounds in the kit and does not sink my feet and they pack better and are super comfortable.

I am confused, if they work for you normally, why not use them for caving? You just have to change the kick rate...
(I would say possibly because of peer pressure??? Or 2 tanks???)
I find the longer Atomics (compared to Jets or Rockets) have been making me touch tips when I thought I was clear. Not silting out or knocking things down but still touching. Its distracting.
I also find that though I can reverse kick it requires more kicking to achieve the same distance. That's fine in open water but in tight areas its not ideal. Caving is a bit specific and I don't mind going with specialized gear if I am going to focus more on that discipline.
As to easy kicking fins, if I'm shooting macro and need to make minor adjustments the fins I use allow for "soft" movements. Same for working in surge. A big blade tends to push me around.
I hunt for subjects pretty slow these days. Cover a small area over a long period of time so don't need big power or speed. Maybe just getting older but I am usually pushing 6 hours a day on trips and by the end of the day it's really nice not have to push a big plank around.

I just tried some Scubapro Go Sport fins that @lexvil gave me and I am in ❤️LUUUUV😍!
Best fins I ever used for regular from the hip standard flutter kicking.
I have been saying and now I see you agree, the Scubapro Go-Sport is the best fin ever :yeahbaby:.

Check this:

Like other newbies, I got a couple pairs of split fins. They're comfortable for mellow open water dives. Tried learning frog kicks and they felt floppy. Got the Go Sports and the split fins are sitting in the garage. If someone's just a flutter kicker, they're fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom