Spit with some blood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sort of a new diver with 60 dives. After a few dives, not all, I noticed some blood in my spit. I tend to spit after a dive. I don't know why. Maybe because there's a little saltwater or just yucky feeling stuff in my mouth. The 1st time It happened the spit was orange,brownish but not red. Hmm, okay I don't feel any pain, I'm still alive. Maybe it was the O.J. or something I had for breakfast. I spat 2 more times and it went back to normal. The last dive I did was 130ft dive on 28% nitrox for 26min with safety stop included. This time I had red(blood) in my spit. It was enough to make me really concerned. I felt fine and no pain. Spat a few more times. Less blood and spit looked normal again. I wasn't congested or had a cold on these dives and I can equalize easily. I was trying to find more info in the Padi books but haven't really found good information on it.

eth727, you've posted several times about ear problems, and now about blood in your secretions after a dive. It would be my guess that you have some type of ENT problem that is interfering with equalization of your ears or sinuses or both; I would highly recommend a visit with a diving-savvy ENT doc.

Small amounts of blood in mucus or saliva after a dive are most commonly related to difficulties with, or overzealous efforts at equalization. But if it's frequent, it is worth getting it looked into. It may be that you have allergies or might otherwise benefit from some medication.

i had the same problem after my first couple of dives. but back then i had a completely blocked nose "shrugs" i couldn't breath from my nose for like 28 years? yeah i know, so after i saw the difficulties i had when i had to clear the mask, or equilization , i decided to have a surgery.
now im a happy person, even though its been a year, and my nose still have dried blood when i clean it every morning "except when i was in L.A. in the mountains" probably the weather.

i know my case is different than yours. but yes. you should check the dr. and some people have those masks with ear protection you might wanna check that out also ..

good luck

I want to check it out since I have DAN master insurance but am worried that the Doc won't allow me to dive anymore. It probably is a ear/sinus issue. That's not going to kill me.

I think it's highly unlikely that the doctor won't let you dive any more, since you HAVE been able to equalize. I think it's much more likely that you have allergic issues or some anatomic abnormality that may be easily treated, and should be.

Bleeding is evidence of injury -- it's that simple. Deliberately causing repeated injury isn't a very reasonable course of action, especially if it isn't necessary.

Source also could be dental. Any dental problems, implants, bridgework, etc? Do your gums often bleed when you brush hard or floss? Sometimes biting down on mouthpiece can exaggerate dental issues.

I too am also suspicious of ENT. Had sinus surgery and was great for me. See a Doc and get a CT of ear and sinus.

After a couple dives my mouth is drier then the freakin' Sahara.....is it possible this is just a drymouth problem with some cracking and bleeding?

Back
Top Bottom