Spinner spool? Any issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was on a trip recently where every dive required DSMB deployment. I use my DSMB and spool (the generic black plastic one 90% of divers use) regularly, but on this trip, I found that my drygloves would sort of grip the spool between my thumb and forefinger, preventing it from spinning freely after shooting the bag. Instead I'd find myself being dragged up and forced to fumble with the thing repeatedly or even let go to stop my ascent.

While I don't want to drop $60 on a fancy spinner spool, I use deploy the buoy frequently enough where I'd rather not encounter that issue again.

Just curious if there's some drawback (price aside) I'm not considering? For what it's worth, I've already got a reel - I like having the option of a spool for something compact.
Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 9.00.31 PM.png

You might consider the sleeker and more economical Subgravity version over ScubaPro.

Check Piranha Dive Mfg, they have a good selection of spinner spools at great prices.

-Z

My ISE spool tightened after one dive, even with plenty soaking, seized after a couple more
Although I would think current versions of non German design would go real good, forever

You can get cold water spools that work pretty well with dry gloves: DIRZONE

The other option is a proper reel (not a cave one).

I almost exclusively use the cold water spools above as I dive dry gloves all year round. The bigger hole in the middle means you can poke a finger in for it to spin on an axel, although often I just let the line out between a couple of fingers and let the spool spin under my hand without actually holding it. You can see it slow, and then grab it as it drops slowly. The DIR Zone and old Halcyon ones are both delrin, and so pretty neutral in the water.

Rich

Putting ones finger through the hole of the spool is something that should generally be avoided as it is possible to sustain injury using it in this fashion.

There are spools with indentations/hollows instead of holes that prevent the insertion of a finger and they work particularly well with drygloves. As @happy-diver sort of indicated, ISE (Inner Space Explorer) markets one, and OMS makes a similar spool a well.

ISE version:
1722437324360.png

OMS version:
1722437294237.png

-Z

Cannot see the point of the spinner spools; seem to be a solution to something that is not a problem.

The Apeks style spools with a smooth and large middle section work extremely well when deploying a SMB. You link your middle finger and thumb together, use the forefinger to hold the inflator spiggot as it's inflated, then let it spin between your finger & thumb. You can hold it tight with a grip through the centre hole.

Diving in cold water requires thick gloves which work fine with these spools. They also work just as well without gloves.

The clever bit for Apeks was to use thin flat line which takes up little space so a 60m/200ft line is comfortable to hold. Most other spools use thicker round line which takes up more space and means the holes for the boltsnap are blocked with line, making a quick clip-off harder.

The spinners don't have a decent grip and you're relying on it not jamming.

Downside of Apeks spools is the ludicrous price. Was lucky and bought them early when they were heavily discounted a few years ago.

IMG_4555.jpg
IMG_4558.jpg
Holding both the (60m/200ft) spool and the SMB spigot with one hand.
Probably difficult with a "hole-less" spinner; oops butterfingers, dropped it!

Putting ones finger through the hole of the spool is something that should generally be avoided as it is possible to sustain injury using it in this fashion.
How does putting your finger through the hole cause injury? Unless the spool's sharp, in which case it's faulty by design!

Attack it with a half-round file to smooth it off.

DGX has a similar spool with flat line, leader and swivel, for a more reasonable price than Apeks. I have both brands and cannot see any difference in quality.
There's also the copy-cat Ali Baba spools which they save money in any form of product development or innovation -- although the (thick) string will likely be made of straw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom