spine pad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talaria

Reaction score
2 days and no replies have I violated some forum rule with this question? If so I am sorry and have edited this post with more info. and could use the help.

I am back diving after 10 years.(training Army, cert. 1969) My wife (cert. 1970) and I are heading to the BVI, bareboating, in August. (3rd trip, 1983 and 1991, time flies) We were both experienced divers 10 years ago (lots and lots and lots of tropical locations and no wetsuits back then for us) and sailors (still are) but having been away from diving 10 years a lot of the equipment has really changed.

We both took refreshers at our LDS but I would like help from someone who has used a suit with a spine pad if possible.

Here in Sacramento most of the dives are to Monterey and most of the staff at the LDS use drysuits there due to the cold water and none have used anything with a spine pad.

The LDS suggested this site for information.

We are both in mid-50,s now and chill more easily, especially my wife.

Both thinking of the Henderson microprene suits and adding micrprene vests for the 2nd or 3rd dives of the day but can not decide if front or back entry is better.

We are both fit and trim so getting in and out of suit not the problem.

LDS carries Henderson but no microprene so they have to order and have nothing to try on first.

So I am just wondering if the spine pad in the font entry suit is useful or is just a lump in the small of your back and gets in the way.

LDS says spine pad fills in the curve of the small of your back to keep water out, etc. but we plan to only dive in tropical areas in our golden years.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks, first post.

I say you gotta love a spine pad. It can't hurt, if you are too warm let some water into your suit or open the zipper. Most of my diving is done in 55-65 degree water and the spine pad is a must, it just tightens up the suit and keeps that cold water from going down your back. We used to make them with a strip of scrap neoprene. Get the suit you want and glue a homemade spine pad into it, if you don't need it take it out. I love the commercial ones though.

If you are comfortable with it and it works for you, then go for it. The more comfortable and confident you are in the water, the more you will enjoy it.

If you are dead-set on going wet, think about layering with a sleeveless Aeroskin vest rather than going with a spine pad. This will give you more warmpth over the entire core rather than just down the spine, where it really doesn't do much good. The "protection" that the spinepad gives against water movement is minimal at best.

Why aren't you looking at drysuits instead? You will be much warmer & happier diving in a drysuit. Afterall, why do you think the people @ the LDS are are diving dry?

BTW, 2 days without getting a reply is not unheard of. If it had been a week, then I'd be asking questions. :wink:

Have fun,

~SubMariner~

is not primarily warmth. it's to cut down n the available water vaolume inside the suit. This results in less "slosh" due to movement, thus more warmth.

The extra neoprene is water displacer only, the change in total heat flux due to donduction between a spine pad suit and one without one is minmal for the temperature gradient, it just stops most of the convection losses. That convection loss translates to a bunch warmer diver. All my front entry wet suits have one, and always will even if I have to bond it in myself!

FT

I love my spine pad. I don't think it has anything to do with warmth, but it sure makes the tank a little more comfortable on my back.

If you are only diving in tropical areas, definately don't need a dry suit. But, if the water going down the back of your wet suit is making you chill, a hooded vest will solve that...may be a bit much in some locations. But depends on how easily you get cold. My last dive was in 81 degree water and I wore a 3m with a beanie and was NOT too warm!

Thanks for all the great advice. My wife and I are strictly warm water divers but if we decide to join the LDS at Monterey we will get dry suits.

Our daughter took her open water cert. dives at Monterey in April and was freezing.

Based upon the replies I think my wife and I will go with the Henderson Microprene 1mm front entry suits which have a built in spine pad just for the added comfort from the tank.

We already bought the microprene vest for our daughter, she is going with us to the BVI. She feels that will be enough with her lycra hot skin. Or is it at 17 she feels that will be the best looking?

As for the concern over the reply I recently joined another forum for the first time in my life; hiptop.com for the T-Mobile Sidekick (love the device and it keeps me from getting bored when my wife is shopping) and getting flamed or ignored for asking the wrong question is very common. I quess I am not tech. savvy enough for them at my age.

Back
Top Bottom