Spiegel grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive only been narced once at 100 feet in a cave

What were you doing at 100ft in a cave? Did you mean to write something else?

I got in 3 dives on it with Rainbow Reef Dive Center way back in 2013, and a lot can change in 4 1/2 or so years, to take this with a grain of salt. Some observations from limited experience:

1.) I believe we giant strode off the back of the boat, held onto a line, and followed it around the length of the boat to the front, to the mooring line. Doesn't sound like much, but got this chubby fellow a tad winded. Nice to start a dive calm and breathing slowly.

2.) They had mostly 80-cf tanks, a very limited # of 100-cf tanks, but with the latter it was air-only, no nitrox option. I don't know why. How is your gas consumption (SAC)?

3.) Because we tied off to a permanent line, that line had growth on it. There were sharp looking shells I assumed were barnacles at the time; someone later suggested something called 'razor clams.' Whatever they were, a pair of even thin gloves would've been nice. I didn't get cut, but had to watch it.

4.) They took us on one short swim through one dive (across a short hall), then along a longer one on a later dive.

5.) If old log data is of any use (rounding off #'s a bit),

Dive 1.) 33 Minutes, max. depth 90 feet, average depth 55 feet.
-------2.) 37.5 Minute dive, max. depth 81 feet, average depth 49 feet.
-------3.) 32 Minute dive, max. depth 87 feet, average depth 53 feet.
Keep in mind these are roughly 'square profile' dives, and time going hand-over-hand up & down the rope, a safety stop (& I may be wrong here, but I think our group might've done a deep stop, too?), so a lot of the dive is spent deep.

5.) Having a guide photograph you with the big flag is neat.

6.) If you read some of the other threads on getting narc.'d, more seasoned divers have indicated it varies between individuals, from day to day in the same individual, and some divers with repeated deep dives may acquire some temporary tolerance (I believe @drbill has described such a perceived effect before?). So it's hard to give you specifics about how this will affect you.

Richard.

My air consumption is getting better but not that great......i appreciate the input that makes me feel better.....i will ne using nitrox om the spiegel too....

Ive never used a hood before and will ne using it on a shark dive soon....when i tried it on with a mask out of water it seemed to leak alot of air.....how will i pregemt water leakage from my mask while using a hood?

Potentially , you'll have to adjust your mask strap.

Any chance you will be doing a couple of dives the day before on a different site, so that you can get dialed in?

Last edited:
Ive never used a hood before and will ne using it on a shark dive soon....when i tried it on with a mask out of water it seemed to leak alot of air.....how will i pregemt water leakage from my mask while using a hood?

Make sure no part of your hood is under any part of your mask's frame.

I've dove the SG in various conditions. Sometimes its idealic and you can just float down from the dive boat and other times you'll be flapping like a flag in the wind as you hold the granny and morning ball lines.

-the dive is much better if you're nitrox certified.

-the dive is better if you can rent a big tank (with nitrox). I've got some nice long dives with my 120 cf and 100 cf tanks

-wear gloves, there are barnacles on the mooring line and rust on the wreck

-don't go to the sand. There is a lot of good stuff to see from 65 to 100 feet

-hold the lines and pull yourself down hand over hand. Don't kick your fins or you'll blow through your gas quickly

-I've never used a guide, but if you are concerned, hire one. They'll show you stuff you won't see on your own

-when you ascend, once you're at the 60 foot mark, come up slow and consider a longer safety stop. I always add a couple of minutes

-enjoy! Its a really fun dive

Thanks to all foe the tip...yes ill be pre diving before the SG so i can dial my mask in with the hood....ALSO ill ne usimg nitrox and plan on getting at least 100 or 120 cf on thw wreck dive.....i will have gloves too......i think i got it covered i jusy need to test my reel out with SMB amd im ready to go......thanks again for allll your input

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom