Spiegel Grove uprighted by Hurricane Dennis !!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The power of Mother Nature always amazes me!! It'll be interesting to see what happens during the rest of hurricane season....hope she's still upright when we head back to the Keys next year. :wink:

mike_s:
Why not tie a big ski rope to the stern and a set of water ski's and get a pic of you water skiing behind her?

I like that idea, too!

Can you imagine someone letting an old pair of skis and big rod & reel on the SG for such photo-ops? :eyebrow:

DiveMe:
The power of Mother Nature always amazes me!! It'll be interesting to see what happens during the rest of hurricane season....hope she's still upright when we head back to the Keys next year. :wink:

It's fascinating how much power the water has. I cannot imagine the power it took to move her like that. I hope she doesn't get ripped apart in future storms.

Like others, I thought it was a bunch of hooey that she is now upright. I believe it now.

Dude, did you just say hooey?
LMAOROF.gif

:lol:

Randy43068:
I like that idea, too!

Can you imagine someone letting an old pair of skis and big rod & reel on the SG for such photo-ops? :eyebrow:

Actually, if the ships bow was facing in the current then it'd be great
for the water skiing pic as the current would hold you on the rope
off the stern of the ship.

Wonder if the next storm could leave it upright, but spin it around the other way?

mike_s:
Actually, if the ships bow was facing in the current then it'd be great
for the water skiing pic as the current would hold you on the rope
off the stern of the ship.

Wonder if the next storm could leave it upright, but spin it around the other way?

I dove the Spiegel on 7-12-05 at 6:00pm for 27 minutes, max depth 86 ft. On the dive I took a bearing on the direction the SG was facing, according to my compass the SG is facing just south of east about 100 degrees. In this position the prevailing current is still at least 90 degrees abeam of the ship to the south. Generally along Key Largo the current runs along the outer edge of the reef which runs NE - SW.

Check out my pics from my dive on the Spiegel 7-12-05 at 6:00pm for 27 minutes.
The pics below don't illustrate the upright position of the SG very well because of the limited visibility.
http://www.glennpatton.com/Spiegel/SpiegelUpright.htm

Glenn

Excellent. :D

gpatton:
The gun turret is now at 75 ft. My max depth was 86 ft. It is a deeper dive now! It will be harder to get out of the current when it is running.

I'm not sure I understand why the dive would be deeper now. I would expect a slightly shallower dive as the ship became upright (unless the hurricane really did a number on the sand below). What am I missing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom