Spiegel Grove uprighted by Hurricane Dennis !!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gpatton:
Given the Spiegel Grove is upright, I have mixed emotions about the changed situation.

I was the "Safety Officer" on the intial sinking of the Spiegel, so I know having the Spiegel resting on its starboard side was not the initial plan. However the Spiegel turned out to be an excellent marine habitat. The fish loved the Spiegel the way it was on its starboard side. The presents of the aquatic life on the Spiegel made it very special. Hopefully the fish will still love it.....

The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary management looks at the situation as "Bad News" and not being in control. The most important issue of the Spiegel ultimately and significantly benefiting the marine habitat may be diminished in thier eyes, however I think the fish will still love the habitat created by the Spiegel...

In my opinion, no matter which way the Spiegel rests on the bottom the fish will love it. The Spiegel will benefit the marine habitat off Key Largo, it is just a matter of how much.... Stay tuned pics coming soon!!

Glenn
Maybe we should sent LIT in there to lift it so it can drop back on its side, or as stated above, maybe Emily will do it for us.

Its looking a little less like BS now. I wonder if the lines inside are still intact and if it might be penetratable now?

Any news on the other major wrecks down there or others through the Gulf? Broken in two, turned over, moved about etc.

I just got confirmation from the Sunshine State Dive Enforcement Department that the Speigel Grove is indeed upright...

HOWEVER!!!

For the next three months only those divers with a valid Florida drivers license and full time residency will be allowed on the wreck.

All out of state divers will be sent to the Benwood or the City of Washington where they will be told they are diving the new Speigel Grove site.

Just kidding. I cannot wait to it.

More confirmation here: http://keysnews.com/283747084380716.bsp.htm

Wow! Incredible story.

I just dove the Grove on Memorial Day weekend. Now I will have to return and see her in her new upright position.

That a hurricane hundreds of miles away can move such a large ship speaks volumes about the power of Mother Nature.

While I am sure the authorities will make every effort to verify the stability of the ship so that she is safe for diving, her movement does make you wonder.

DennisS:
It looks like they want to make sure its stable before they let divers on it.
ROTFL! Would these be the same experts that botched the original sinking? Or the ones that thought it was stable on its side? There are a lot of wrecks off the coast of FLL up to WPB, makes you wonder if those are stable enough as well? ROTFL!

Hooooooooooooooooly Crapoly! :11:

Is this some sort of April Fools joke in July? No. Way.

I was there when the wreck went down, and it was BIG. I find it very very hard to fathom. It must have been rather unstable as it lay in its side for a storm to right it.

I mean, that boat is BIG.

Well, I hope it's true. We have a trip planned for July 2006 to the Grove. Whoo hoo.

Natasha:
Well, I hope it's true. We have a trip planned for July 2006 to the Grove. Whoo hoo.
Plenty of time between now and then for more storms to shift it around and just look how busy this July has been so far :wink:

I just talked to Christy up at Holiday Isle and she confirmed that the SG is upright and that they're doing some research on it today before they open it to divers. They could be letting divers on as early as tomorrow.

Anyone want to go diving?

Rachel

edit: latest report puts the site off-limits for the next week pending investigation

simbrooks:
Plenty of time between now and then for more storms to shift it around and just look how busy this July has been so far :wink:

Ouch! I hope not.

DennisW:
I would think that the ship would be more stable upright than on it's side. In any case, now I've got to go dive it again.
With it’s 84’ beam I should think it would be more stable now unless it has considerable listing from the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom