Spiegel Grove Lesson Learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Dad:
This is the one I use: http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=117&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=030756

It's big... bright... can be used as a lift bag. It has a dump/overpressure valve... You fill it like a lift bag with your octo...

I attached a finger reel to it with about 100' of line.

I wouldn't dive without it...

Thanks for the link,Scubadad. Mine is also that big but it's bright orange. Did I read that yellow is more noticeable in the sea?

Not sure I understand why I would need a lift bag and line on my dirft dives? If I'm in Cos, let's say, the DM usually trails a marker at the surface, or the boat follows our bubbles. If a diver stays with the group, as one should, why would I need a lift bag? There are so many things a diver could carry that if I were to carry all the stuff I hear mentioned my BC would look like a Christmas tree with all sorts of things hanging from it. :)

It's in case you and the guy with the dive float get seperated. There's only one of him and a bunch of you.

Or if you have to surface early and the guys in the boat don't see you

Or if you're on a wreck and you're supposed to ascend up a line back to the boat, but you lose the line and the current takes you away,

Or if your boat sinks or decides to leave while you're diving and you find you and your buddy drifting away when your dive is over.

Terry

pilot fish:
If I'm in Cos, let's say, the DM usually trails a marker at the surface, or the boat follows our bubbles. If a diver stays with the group, as one should, why would I need a lift bag? There are so many things a diver could carry that if I were to carry all the stuff I hear mentioned my BC would look like a Christmas tree with all sorts of things hanging from it. :)

Web Monkey:
It's in case you and the guy with the dive float get seperated. There's only one of him and a bunch of you.

Or if you have to surface early and the guys in the boat don't see you

Or if you're on a wreck and you're supposed to ascend up a line back to the boat, but you lose the line and the current takes you away,

Or if your boat sinks or decides to leave while you're diving and you find you and your buddy drifting away when your dive is over.

Terry

All good reasons, Web. Do you send up the lift bag while on your SS? How do you keep from getting pulled to the surface by the lift bag.

pilot fish:
All good reasons, Web. Do you send up the lift bag while on your SS? How do you keep from getting pulled to the surface by the lift bag.

I do on drift dives, although I think I don't get enough of them. I'll have to ask for more vacation. :cool:

If I'm coming up in the expected location (on a mooring buoy) etc., I don't send up a bag.

The lift bag doesn't pull you to the surface because it's sent up on a reel. The bag goes up and you get to stay where you are. :cool:

Terry

Web Monkey:
I do on drift dives, although I think I don't get enough of them. I'll have to ask for more vacation. :cool:

If I'm coming up in the expected location (on a mooring buoy) etc., I don't send up a bag.

The lift bag doesn't pull you to the surface because it's sent up on a reel. The bag goes up and you get to stay where you are. :cool:

Terry

Reel, line, lift bag, plus all the other stuff, sounds like the Christmas tree affect on the BC.

I keep a spool (150 ft. of line on the spool) in my drysuit pocket. The lift bag isn't visible as it is in a pounch connected to my backplate.

That is hardly a Christmas tree. You wouldn't know that I have either one unless I need them.

pilot fish:
Reel, line, lift bag, plus all the other stuff, sounds like the Christmas tree affect on the BC.

The two lift bags are in pockets on either side of the tank. The line is either a clipped-off reel, or a finger spool in a pocket if I wasn't planning on needing a reel.

What's all the "other stuff"?

Terry

diverbrian:
I keep a spool (150 ft. of line on the spool) in my drysuit pocket. The lift bag isn't visible as it is in a pounch connected to my backplate.

That is hardly a Christmas tree. You wouldn't know that I have either one unless I need them.

Good to know. I thought that had to be attached to BC but what you describe sounds doable.

Web Monkey:
The two lift bags are in pockets on either side of the tank. The line is either a clipped-off reel, or a finger spool in a pocket if I wasn't planning on needing a reel.

What's all the "other stuff"?

Terry

Two bags? Other stuff is slate, knife, gloves, smb, camera strap, smb and rattle

pilot fish:
Two bags?
Other stuff is
slate - right front pocket
knife - no knife - line cutter in left front pocket
gloves - on hands
smb 1 each red/yellow in right and left rear pockets. spool in right front pocket.
camera strap - no camera
rattle - no rattle

It sounds like a lot of cr*p until you need it, in which case it becomes amazing foresight.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom