Spiegel Grove Lesson Learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
Actually, only in the US do we not care. I was advised to get another color lift bag because in Europe my current one would get the chase boats running towards it immediately.

Although its not a specific agency standards its one everyone really seems to use. Red/orange == everything is normal.

Yellow bag == theres a problem. Usually means "send more gas" unless theres a slate with more specifics on.

Its a nice system and does work provided everyone is aware of it.

Remember that if seas are 2'-4' and you have a 4' or 5' tall sausage, your SMB may be tough to see.

Coupla things to consider would be get the largest one you can, and open-bottomed tubes, while easier to fill at depth, may be harder to keep filled at the surface. 'Closed-circuit' SMBs will retain their rigidity at the surface longer, and can be waved without collapsing like an open-bottomed device when the air inside exits out the bottom. Closed-circuit devices may also be used as surface support if you find yourself drifting for awhile. Open-circuit devices are often less-useful in this regard.

The other thing is that if you're drift diving in remote locations, its entirely possible that you might be drifting for awhile. There are in fact documented situations on this board where this exact scenario occurred..............

In such situations, the bigger the SMB the better...people may be looking for you from the air.

Here are some closed-circuit devices to consider:

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dam.shtml

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dlr.shtml

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/lift.shtml

String:
Although its not a specific agency standards its one everyone really seems to use. Red/orange == everything is normal.

Yellow bag == theres a problem. Usually means "send more gas" unless theres a slate with more specifics on.

Its a nice system and does work provided everyone is aware of it.

Ahh!! The dive boats that I deal with don't seem to be aware of this system. I have spoken with people that have been diving for years that just recently have been made aware of the issue with using yellow lift bags as surface markers.

The gentleman that showed me this now has HELP written on his yellow lift because dive boat captains up here don't seem to recognize that system. The reaction that I initially saw to that concept on this thread reinforces my belief that even if the wreck agencies are teaching it, it isn't getting through up where I live :) .

As someone else said, this system is popular in most places of the world except seemingly the USA (where dsmb use in general isnt that popular either) so if the boats youre familiar with are in that area its understandable.

Walter:
That, however, wasn't the choice. The choice was making a free ascent and getting blown far away from his boat or swimming to one of the many uplines on the Grove and making a safe ascent after which he would have been easily spotted on an empty line, or on a line to which another boat (safe haven) was attached or possibly (although unlikely) the correct line where his boat was attached. All three of those possibilities were preferable to drifting "about a mile away." The man had 1000 PSI, he had plenty of air to find a line and ascend safely.

Walter... He spent 2000PSI trying to get back to the ship and finding the other divers... no luck... He didn't find any other mooring lines... Plus... his dive briefing was pretty clear.. start your ascent with 1000PSI... He made the right decision.

pilot fish:
My dive sausage does not have a lift bag. Are there SMB's that have a lift bag as an integral part of the SMB?

This is the one I use: http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=117&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=030756

It's big... bright... can be used as a lift bag. It has a dump/overpressure valve... You fill it like a lift bag with your octo...

I attached a finger reel to it with about 100' of line.

I wouldn't dive without it...

what about instead of setting a surface marker why not just securing your reel to the boat and jut make a controll accent that way so you wont drift off.as far as Im concer the only way I will deploy a surface marker is if Im completely off the wreck.

Miami_Diver:
what about instead of setting a surface marker why not just securing your reel to the boat and jut make a controll accent that way so you wont drift off.as far as Im concer the only way I will deploy a surface marker is if Im completely off the wreck.

If you secure your reel to the boat, how are you going to retrieve it and the line? Let it flop in the current?

I deploy my SMB on almost every drift dive. I usually launch it when I hit 30' or so..

Al

you secure the other end your your reel , the end you attach to the lift bag.get more + bouyant than usual to create a tention if the current is too strong.you cut the line with your knife as soon as get a handle on the boat.Ive never had such a current on wreck dives that I couldnt find my way to the anchor. but if that ever happent its the safest way to assend and you wont drift and hope they find you when youre done with your stops. Im saying only in an emergency..not a drift dive.

Miami_Diver:
you secure the other end your your reel , the end you attach to the lift bag.get more + bouyant than usual to create a tention if the current is too strong.you cut the line with your knife as soon as get a handle on the boat.Ive never had such a current on wreck dives that I couldnt find my way to the anchor. but if that ever happent its the safest way to assend and you wont drift and hope they find you when youre done with your stops. Im saying only in an emergency..not a drift dive.

That's a good option to consider. I'm not sure if I'd do it that way, but... I'll keep it as an option in case I ever need to use it.

My preferrence is to drift the ascent... along with the safety stop. I would launch my SMB early, so the boat at the mooring line could track me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom