Spiegel Grove Cleared to Dive July 20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Gary

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Received an email this afternoon that I thought would be of interest to all.

Capt Gary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To All Dive Operators -

As everyone is aware, the Spiegel Grove Site has been closed to sport diving since the discovery of its miraculous roll into a perfectly upright position. The Sanctuary personnel, in conjunction with Monroe County representatives and volunteers, have been working diligently at the following:

- Assessment of stability

- Environmental analysis

- Diver ingress and egress/Diver safety issues

- Mooring buoy placement/pattern analysis and deployment

In general, the following analysis has been presented to the KLNMS Superintendent by John Halas (Resource Manager, KLNMS) and George Garrett (Director, Monroe County Marine Resources):

For the past three years, a predominantly NE current flow has resulted in a dredging/scouring effect that dug a trench underneath and behind the starboard side of the ship. A few weeks ago, the trench was measured to be over 140 fsw. deep at the stern, and 150 fsw. at the bow.

The ship, lying on its starboard side with a slight list towards being upright, was anxious to complete the roll. During the attempt to right the ship when she was upside-down, we wrapped an anchor cable around the ship and attached it to the port prop shaft. We then took the anchor and placed it perpendicular to the ship (SW), so that as the tugs pulled on it, the cable would spin the ship like a top. Once the towing lines on the two tugs broke, and the ship came to rest on the bottom, that cable remained tight.

According to Key West Meteorologist Matt Strahan, there were 20 ft waves that traveled up the reef line all the way from down south, creating a strong “rip-tide” type of current flowing along the outer edge, to the NE. With the well deck facing into the current like a scoop, the erosion underneath, and the cable still in play, the force was evidently enough to help the ship roll the rest of the way – right into the trench.

The anchoring of the Spiegel Grove prior to the sinking was performed by the Sanctuary, and those anchors held well. The end result is that the ship is still where it was, both in orientation and GPS coordinates.

The Future Schedule of Operations is as follows:

The Mooring Buoy Maintenance crew will continue its work on Monday, July 18.

On Tuesday, July 19, the site will be open to all Dive Shop operators and personnel (in commercial vessels only) to assist in mooring buoy deployment and to gain their own orientation/assessment of the wreck (prior to customer use).

On Wednesday, July 20, the site will re-open for the general public.

Please keep in mind that the assessments and evaluations will be ongoing for some time. Anything that anyone observes and considers a matter of concern and/or interest should be forwarded to John Halas or George Garrett.

Many thanks are extended to John Halas, Hank Becker, Steve Schalk, George Garrett, Doc Scwienler (Ocean Divers), and all of the volunteers who have worked so rapidly and efficiently to get the site re-opened.

Regards,

Rob Bleser, Manager

Spiegel Grove Reefing Project

Please forward to all concerned parties.

Gary,
That's great to hear!!! Thanks for posting it.

Al

The ship is in the same orientation to the currents as before, so I don't expect any difference in that respect. But with it upright the structure does provide more places to duck behind to get out of the currents.

In any case it's going to be a new and interesting dive.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

Fantastic! I have advanced class I wanted to put on Grove this weekend after an invitation to dive on NOAA's Aquarius Undersea Lab!

Woohoo...We'll be there Saturday. Can't wait to see it.

Thanks for the info Gary.

I think this is one of the most astonishing things I have ever heard. Thanks for posting the official account. :)
We've had a week to digest this information, and I am still slack-jawed about it.

I can't wait to see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom