SPIEGEL GROVE and MOLASSES DEEP REEF trip report, sunday, 5/25/14, pics,,,,,,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which brings up a question...what's the best way to estimate visibility??? It seems totally subjective - guesswork. The way I estimate vis is to ask my buddy "hey...what would you say the visibility was on that dive?"!!! (VERY scientific!)

Yeah, it's hard to say; unless I have a known large distance I can work off of (such as looking up at the boat, down from the surface or the top of a wreck, or out from one location to another) I often just say "good enough." I was on the Spiegel with Quiescence Sunday morning; we tied up on the line going down to the starboard forward gun mount (I forget the buoy number). I know the viz was good enough that I could look down from the edge of the upper deck and see all the way to the bottom, which would have been 70-80 feet. I ended up doing pretty much the same circuit on the diagram reefman posted; I was mostly looking for fish so I wasn't terribly interested in swim-throughs. I did get some decent shots of the flag, although nothing as spectacular as timg's shots.

Second dive was the slabs, which was actually more interesting to me. We were the only dive boat out there; when we anchored up there were two outboards fishing in the area but they took off before we hit the water. Lots of nice big groupers and snappers, including a midsize goliath that surprised me while I was under a ledge. I have to admit I found it amusing to hear folks oohing and aahing over the goliath and the nurse shark; for me going out of Riviera or Jupiter that's a very slow day underwater. I did really enjoy Quiescence and I'd go out with them again my next time in Key Largo; I think being on a cattle boat would have caused me to blow a gasket.

My primary motive for requesting a deep wreck dive was to play a hunch that Katherine might show up; however looking at OCEARCH's tracking site it looks like after briefly doubling back towards Islamorada on Thursday she continued back on course down the Keys. As of an hour ago she was well south of Big Pine.

Which brings up a question...what's the best way to estimate visibility??? It seems totally subjective - guesswork. The way I estimate vis is to ask my buddy "hey...what would you say the visibility was on that dive?"!!! (VERY scientific!)

when I got involved as a volunteer research diver for reef check, nature conservancy, mote marine lab and the FKNMS here in the florida keys, we began each dive measuring visibility, temp, salinity, current etc. I would hold the handle of the provided underwater transect tape(usually 50 meters) and my dive partner would grasp the beginning of the tape and swim away; when I lost sight of the diver, I would check the tape(always metric), that's the viz. the device is similar to those below. not practical for recreational diving!!!!!

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• tapes.jpg
    tapes.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 55
So you have learned to estimate vis from a practical perspective. So from now on, I'll ask YOU "what would you say the vis was on that dive?" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom