SPIEGEL GROVE and MOLASSES DEEP REEF trip report, sunday, 5/25/14, pics,,,,,,,,,,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
timg and I joined Mario and tathiana on their 36FT sea ray for a two tanker offshore a crowded key largo this morning. ideal topside conditions: sunshine, light winds and calm seas. dive # 1: buoy SG5(starboard crane), light NE current, brilliant blue water, viz 80-90+, water temp 81F @ 60-100FT. numerous goliath/black groupers, enjoyable dive. transitioned south, bendwood /French had green water so we continued on to deep molasses. shallow sites were jammed, deep buoys open. #2: buoy M29, light/mdt NE current, blue water(particulates), viz 70-80FT, 81F @ 50-85FT. pics from timg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• sg1.jpg
    sg1.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 84
  • sg2.jpg
    sg2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 82
  • sg3.jpg
    sg3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 78
  • sg4.jpg
    sg4.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 71
  • sg5.jpg
    sg5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 68
  • sg6.jpg
    sg6.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 72
  • sg7.jpg
    sg7.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 99
  • sg8.jpg
    sg8.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 66
  • sg9.jpg
    sg9.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 62
  • sg10.jpg
    sg10.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 69
  • sg11.jpg
    sg11.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 72
  • sg12.jpg
    sg12.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 64
  • dm1.jpg
    dm1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 74
  • dm2.jpg
    dm2.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 71
  • dm3.jpg
    dm3.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 81
SPIEGEL GROVE,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• spiegel grove.jpg
    spiegel grove.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 170
Picture 7 is fantastic Looks like top/bottom viz!!

We've had some good vis here in Jupiter the last few days as well. Over 100 feet on Friday,which is unusually good, and 80-100 feet (site dependent) on Saturday.

Great pictures from timg (as usual): thanks for posting reefman. I'm looking forward to my long weekend Keys trips in July and August.

Great job guys! Hope the boat gets repaired soon...I don't want to go without seeing your awesome reports for long :D

Tim, thank you so much for the flag shots this Memorial Day. That flag is so awe-inspiring to me. We learned that they replace the flag every Memorial Day...is this the new one or the old one?

Picture 7 is fantastic Looks like top/bottom viz!!

your right, I was a bit conservative on the viz report. horizion divers reported viz 100+ moored on buoy SG 3 along side us. for you Cajun Diva, here's another capture taken by Mario,

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• sg.jpg
    sg.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 132
We've had some good vis here in Jupiter the last few days as well. Over 100 feet on Friday,which is unusually good, and 80-100 feet (site dependent) on Saturday.

Great pictures from timg (as usual): thanks for posting reefman. I'm looking forward to my long weekend Keys trips in July and August.

Thank you sportxlh.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

Great job guys! Hope the boat gets repaired soon...I don't want to go without seeing your awesome reports for long :D

Tim, thank you so much for the flag shots this Memorial Day. That flag is so awe-inspiring to me. We learned that they replace the flag every Memorial Day...is this the new one or the old one?

Thank you CajunDiva. That one looks fairly new to me, I do not know if they are putting a new one out today.

your right, I was a bit conservative on the viz report. horizion divers reported viz 100+ moored on buoy SG 3 along side us. for you Cajun Diva, here's another capture taken by Mario,

reefman
key largo

Which brings up a question...what's the best way to estimate visibility??? It seems totally subjective - guesswork. The way I estimate vis is to ask my buddy "hey...what would you say the visibility was on that dive?"!!! (VERY scientific!)

Which brings up a question...what's the best way to estimate visibility??? It seems totally subjective - guesswork. The way I estimate vis is to ask my buddy "hey...what would you say the visibility was on that dive?"!!! (VERY scientific!)

It is a running joke between Reefman and I concerning some of these reports

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom