Spiegel and Duane Alternate Air Source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick:
Since I'm going to be doing the insta buddy thing, having a pony bottle doesn't sound like a half bad idea.

Its strange. I have been on plenty of boats in Washington and B.C. Canada where if you didn't have a pony bottle you were the odd man out. The further south you go, the less likely you will see pony bottles used in recreational dives. Personally, I would prefer to bring a pony bottle along for any dives over 60 ft, but the idea of lugging the extra gear is enough of a deterrent that I never bringing one along.

diverhead.com:
Its strange. I have been on plenty of boats in Washington and B.C. Canada where if you didn't have a pony bottle you were the odd man out. The further south you go, the less likely you will see pony bottles used in recreational dives. Personally, I would prefer to bring a pony bottle along for any dives over 60 ft, but the idea of lugging the extra gear is enough of a deterrent that I never bringing one along.

I do most of my diving in tropical waters. I almost never see a pony bottle.

KeyLargoBrent:
Why anyone would take pot luck for a dive buddy on a deep wreck is beyond my comprehension, but many do.

Many of us have no choice if we want to dive.

There's wreck diving, and there's wreck diving. In many--perhaps most cases, I don't see a problem.

You could do a wreck by simply circumnavigating the exterior, as we were absolutely required to do when I dived the Antilla in Aruba with Pelican Adventures. Anyone getting close to breaking away from the flock and looking into things was pulled back quickly.

Other wrecks have penetrations that barely qualify as such. Massive openings surround you, and there is no more danger than a moderate coral swim through.

You have lots of options for safe "wreck" diving with the Speigel Grove.

You have lots of options for safe "wreck" diving with the Speigel Grove.

I think you are missing the point of having a pony bottle / redundant air source in the first place. Honestly, sometimes when I'm paired up with an "insta-buddy" I feel he/she can be more of a liability than an asset. You don't know what skill level your buddy will have and what sort of problems he/she will create. I feel the first steps in being a safe diver is becoming self sufficient. A dive buddy can not be considered a redundant air source.

diverhead.com:
I think you are missing the point of having a pony bottle / redundant air source in the first place. Honestly, sometimes when I'm paired up with an "insta-buddy" I feel he/she can be more of a liability than an asset. You don't know what skill level your buddy will have and what sort of problems he/she will create. I feel the first steps in being a safe diver is becoming self sufficient. A dive buddy can not be considered a redundant air source.
Hear, hear...!!

Doing both of these dives in may. I will be forced to buddy up with someone. My plan is to feel out people the day before and check experience and hopefully consumption rates. I've been to 125 for 5min on multi level profile ascending to 70 for 25, upt to 50 for 10 and then to 25 for 15 before doing a 3 min stop. Total dive time was 58 min. used 2400 psi out of a steel 72 with starting pressure of 2800. BTW was in dry suit also using back gas for suit and bc. Hopefully I'll find someone with similar rates or better to buddy up with. I'll be real pissed if we get to the deck and he/she has already gone thru 2000psi.

JimLap:
I'll be real pissed if we get to the deck and he/she has already gone thru 2000psi.

Been there. It's a tough call. My gas-hogging buddy was a DMC (Dive Master Candidate.)

Fish_Whisperer:
When we dove the Spiegel, we agreed that our turnaround would be at 1000 psi. Even with generous safety stops, it was no problem. The dive lasted a total of 40 minutes. Just before climbing the ladder, I took at quick look at my air and I had 600 psi left. No problem.

If everything goes well, I'm sure there is no problem. But the Spiegel is known for having some current, so it is good to be very conservative on air. I was pulled off the line doing the safety when I was there last (June) and found myself using a lot of air trying to get back on! Plus, being at that depth, I did notice using air faster than I was used to.

Dean810:
If everything goes well, I'm sure there is no problem. But the Spiegel is known for having some current, so it is good to be very conservative on air. I was pulled off the line doing the safety when I was there last (June) and found myself using a lot of air trying to get back on! Plus, being at that depth, I did notice using air faster than I was used to.

I agree with you. Believe me: I kept a real close eye on my air consumption. Fortunately, we didn't have any current until the last safety stop, when everyone looked like windsocks on the line and went suddenly horizontal. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom