Spiegel and Duane Alternate Air Source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Looking through the various dive opps I noticed something interesting. Only Ocean Divers even mentions an Alternate Air Source (although I suspect they don't mean a pony bottle) when diving the Spiegel and Duane. Thoughts on the subject, it sounds like its a 80 to 100+ foot dive. Since I'm going to be doing the insta buddy thing, having a pony bottle doesn't sound like a half bad idea. I've done dives to that range without one, but I trusted my dive partner, and he was wearing doubles.

While I have a pony and regs for it at home, I really don't want to go through the hassle of carting it along with me on vacation. Yet I notice no one lists a pony as a rental option.

Also, it looks like Ocean Divers has two boats, any chance that one of them will be doing a reef dive in the morning instead of the deep dives? Reason I ask is that I've got a new wet suit and I haven't had a chance to figure out what the weights in salt water will be, I'd rather dive a bit heavy in a reef area and work it out, then to do it on a deeper dive. And before anyone says anything, even heavy I won't touch the reef.

I'll probably be diving either Scuba-Do or Ocean Divers. Yes I know Ocean Dives looks like it could be a bit of a cattle boat, but my afternoon dive buddy (wife doesn't like getting up early for dives), prefers a nice big boat, and I don't mind the tourists too much.

Speigel is a 120+ dive assuming you touch the bottom. You might also want to check the viz, the last time I did the speigel (2 weeks ago) it was 20 feet and there was lots of organic stuff in the water.

I used island adventures, I don't know anything about the other ops. It was a six pack and pretty comfy.

I'd think you wouldn't need to worry about yourself if you're used to doing deep wrecks. But in case you get buddied up with a not so proficient diver, it may be good for you to have one. I wouldn't depend too much on an instabuddy so I'd be very conservative in terms of time. It's mooring line within visible range at 1500 and starting ascent no less than 1000, back on boat with no less than 500 for most dive ops.

You might wan't to take another look at Scuba-Do. We dove them and they leave about a half hour earlier than the other ops. While getting up earlier kinda sucks, being the first on the wreck is cool.

are both quality ops. All local dive ops that I know of require alternate air sources and adherance to the buddy system. None that I know of require or rent ponies.

Why anyone would take pot luck for a dive buddy on a deep wreck is beyond my comprehension, but many do. Consider draining and breaking down your pony and bringing it with you, or hiring a professional dive guide.

Dive safely, and enjoy!

---- Consider draining and breaking down your pony and bringing it with you:
I just do not understand why more people do not hire local guides in the diving industry.

People go hunting in Montana.. they hire a guide. Hiking in the Appalacians hire a guide.

Fishing in the everglades, pro guide.

Without actually having any information to base it on my UEG is less than 1% hire their own personal guide when visiting from "other parts" to dive new parts and do not hire a local guide.

Just being cheap I suppose..

/rant\end]

In some of the waivers an Alternate Air Source is mentioned, but it means an octopus or 2nd second stage, not a truly redundant air source like a pony bottle.

Rachel

KeyLargoBrent:
are both quality ops. All local dive ops that I know of require alternate air sources and adherance to the buddy system. None that I know of require or rent ponies.

Why anyone would take pot luck for a dive buddy on a deep wreck is beyond my comprehension, but many do. Consider draining and breaking down your pony and bringing it with you, or hiring a professional dive guide.

Dive safely, and enjoy!
Many of us have to take boat pick buddies if we want to dive. It was two particular such experiences with two different divers on the Grove the same week that inspired me to get a pony.
reiter.gif
Drain the pony, remove the valve and stick it in your checked luggage. TSA now has official policies on these. Call ahead to make sure you can get it filled the night before you make any deep dives.
bud.gif
But yes, Ocean Divers has 2 boats - often one for wrecks and one for reefs, but that varies. Call ahead.

Orlando Eric:
I just do not understand why more people do not hire local guides in the diving industry.

People go hunting in Montana.. they hire a guide. Hiking in the Appalacians hire a guide.

Fishing in the everglades, pro guide.

Without actually having any information to base it on my UEG is less than 1% hire their own personal guide when visiting from "other parts" to dive new parts and do not hire a local guide.

Just being cheap I suppose..

/rant\end]
We arranged for an Inst to dive with Crawdad on the Grove as he was kinda' new, altho a skilled diver for his experience. I don't think RPanick should have need of such.

I always prefer Scuba-Do, but they're not likely to go out in the afternoon. Call and ask, tho - they could have a load going after lunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom