SPG preferences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a new brass & glass SPG in the 2"-2.5" range. Any suggestions for a high quality one? I've used several different brands in the past and I haven't been 100% happy with any of them.

Almost all B&G SPGs come from the same factory in Italy, Termo. The only difference is branding, black or white or 2 vs 2.5", PSI or Bar. Personally I like the smaller 2" ones in Bar being from the colonies.

Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) - Dive Gear Express

I have some black HOG ones and some white DR and a Highland ones, all work fine.

Normally I don’t like dual-scale analog instruments, except for SPGs — unless you are diving metric-only. Bars are close enough to Atmospheres so it makes mental calculations much easier. They are getting hard to find but this is may fav:

Attachments

• OMSPGO.jpg
    OMSPGO.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 344
Akimbo

I have that one and it is the BEST. Universal use and the color code shows at a glance where you are even without unclipping it.

What don't you like about the SPGs you've used? Like buddhasummer stated, most SPGs are made in the same factory and just branded for the various manufacturers.

Normally I don’t like dual-scale analog instruments, except for SPGs — unless you are diving metric-only. Bars are close enough to Atmospheres so it makes mental calculations much easier. They are getting hard to find but this is may fav:

I have an Apeks dual scale and love it. I don't understand why they are so hard to find.

I prefer either a black face or the white face with contrasting pointer and numbers. I do not like the red/yellow/green type as it adds confusion and the color bars do not correspond universally to planning requirements for differing dives and equipment. I would not want a dual psi/bar type as it again just adds numbers and complexity. A simple presentation is best.

I do not actually read the gauge, I just look at needle position. They can leave the numbers off if they like, just put a few hatch marks from full to empty. I wish they would make a straight gauge also instead of the current ubiquitous 90 degree style. The advantage of the straight type is that it is not required to unsnap it or twist it to read it. Simply look down and if needed aim the gauge, face to face.

N

Do they still make it? I couldn't find a dual scale on the web site and OMS stopped selling them.

Analog Instruments

I haven't seen them - this one came with a pivot 2 gauge console bought in 2010.

Most of my SPG's are Highland 2" low profile gauges, I have a couple ScubaPro 2.5" However they are the deep body & I have an old ScubaPro 2.5" low profile as my doubles SPG. I love it. Big enough to easily read,... but they have been discontinued for a few years now & hard to find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom