SPG hose bubbling near HP port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russoft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently had my first stage (Poseidon Cyklon; I don't recall the model number) serviced by a local dive shop. When it came back, I noticed bubbling from the SPG hose where it screws into the HP port. It was bad enough that I lost 30 bar / 400 psi before I was able to switch out the entire SPG & hose for a spare. The threads and o-ring are good. The bubbles were not coming from there. They were coming from what seems to be a swivel joint behind the hex nut. I've never noticed an SPG hose that swivels at this point. What is the problem and how easy is it to fix? Should I expect the dive shop to take responsibility for this? I don't know if the damage happened while it was in for servicing or if it happened under my care. I asked the tech only to service the octo and first stage.

If it's a simple repair, I'd just as rather make the repair myself so I can become self reliant if I'm out on a dive site and this happens again. Does the whole hose need replacing or is there an o-ring inside that can be replaced?

20150811_190930.jpg20150811_190959.jpg20150811_190923.jpg

Time to play taps for that hose.

That connection should neither swivel nor leak. Repair would probably be more expensive than new hose if you could even get somebody to do it. Not a DIY job.

simple repair - buy a new hose...

what they said, looks like a lot of salt buildup around the connection as well which can spell premature death for hoses, huge part of why I don't use hose protectors. Your LDS should have at least told you about the connection being bad. New HP hoses are about $20 and are a DIY repair, just make sure you lube up the console boot so it will slide out *soapy water usually does just fine*. I'd also get a new HP spool while you're at it, so take it apart before measuring and make sure the SPG isn't corroding.

what they said, looks like a lot of salt buildup

Thanks all. A new hose it is. I was actually taken by surprise when I saw salt crystals under the hose protector. I guess the rinsing I did after each ocean dive wasn't enough. If hose protectors are a waste of time, why are they still so widespread? If they truly have no value (not even for fresh water?), then I'm going to nix them entirely.

they do for certain applications, and if you pull them back and soak the regulators properly they won't have corrosion problems, but almost no one does this, so it builds up. Rinsing doesn't cut it, especially if they have been allowed to get remotely dry, they have to be immersed, soaked, then rinsed off to get it all out. Their only real usefulness is to prevent kinking during air sharing, but even that is pretty minimal risk with proper OOA procedures.

I had this problem too. 3 months before my last dive everything was ok. But then it happened without any activities with it, they just sit in my closet.

Definitely you need new hose for this. Can't fix the crimping. Make sure get a good hose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found an HP hose for $27 on Dive Gear Express. Cheapest I could get for the length I wanted. LDS wanted 40 - 45! Saved on shipping by buying a second back up hose.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I got one too from them. But seems it's a generic one. The one that many folks said prone to problem. I don't know how true is that. Anyone from here can comment on their quality?

Today is my 9th dive with HP hose (braided) DGE. Si far no leak. Avg depth 25-30.

I got one too from them. But seems it's a generic one. The one that many folks said prone to problem. I don't know how true is that. Anyone from here can comment on their quality?

Today is my 9th dive with HP hose (braided) DGE. Si far no leak. Avg depth 25-30.

Not quite. There were some reports of issues with some Miflex hoses all from one location (?) the cause of which has not yet been precisely identified. There was another thread of an issue reported with a 4 year old generic braided hose. I initially chicken littled but have since decided to swap out older than 5 year braided hoses and stop using Miflex completely. I've cut open some braided hoses one of which was an at least 7 year old Miflex and all looked fine internally. The catastrophic failure of the Miflex gave me pause and until a definitive cause, which is probably unlikely given the number of variables, is found for the failures I'm not going to use them. The moment someone reports the same failure with a generic braided I'll stop using them also. I'm am checking all my hoses a little more thoroughly, more regularly though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom