SPG And Deco Bottles...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My SPG is always clipped to my left hip D ring but when using deco bottles does the SPG remain in the same position or is it better to move it to the left chest D ring ???

No problems at all in clipping and unclipping it without any deco bottles but I am afraid that when using deco bottles one may hit the SPG and break it or that it would be difficult to reach it, unclip it and take it in front of me for reading and then reclip...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

The reason for NOT clipping it to your chest D-ring is supposedly just that this isn't very easy to do when carrying a deco under your left arm. I tried, and I didn't make it. Anyways, after the first few dives unclipping/clipping it became pretty straight forward, and since I have 2 inches mor HP hose than those DIR-guys, I can even take a look at it when it's clipped on down there.

Erik Il Rosso:
My SPG is always clipped to my left hip D ring but when using deco bottles does the SPG remain in the same position or is it better to move it to the left chest D ring ???

No problems at all in clipping and unclipping it without any deco bottles but I am afraid that when using deco bottles one may hit the SPG and break it or that it would be difficult to reach it, unclip it and take it in front of me for reading and then reclip...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

This is clear case of choosing between the evils. On the chest it makes things feel cluttered (too cluttered for my liking) and under the stages it takes time to get used to unclipping it. Ultimately, on the hip is probably better because it's out of the way. If you've planned your dive right you'll only need to look at it a couple of times anyway.

Like Kompressor suggested, using a +/- 70cm hose seems to help keep it out from under the stages.

R..

Just Muscle Memory and Practice . . .with left hand and arm, reach down to your hip D-ring and shove your bottom clipped Deco/Stage Bottle tail ends out & away, unclip the spg and bring it slightly up, over & around the Bottles, finally getting/orienting it so as to read the gauge. Reverse the sequence to re-clip spg (easier said then done right?). . .

Kevrumbo:
Just Muscle Memory and Practice . . .with left hand and arm, reach down to your hip D-ring and shove your bottom clipped Deco/Stage Bottle tail ends out & away, unclip the spg and bring it slightly up, over & around the Bottles, finally getting/orienting it so as to read the gauge. Reverse the sequence to re-clip spg (easier said then done right?). . .

My tech instructor put it on my left chest D ring and I did not like there, too cluttered...

Next time I will tell my instructor that I will put it on left hip D ring and see if it works better (I am pretty sure it will, I am used to it in my Rec Hog rig I am currently using)...

Thanks for help guys...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

I prefer the SPG routed under my left shoulder harness and clipped to the inside of my top left d-ring. In this position there's no need to unclip the SPG to look at it and I don't find it cluttered since I've separated my very small backup lights to half d-rings located below my stage d-rings. I've never considered the argument of this configuration as an entanglement point to be valid.

As always, this is a matter of trial and error and personal choice.

Johnny Richards
www.cavediving.com

Another option is to get a 21inch hose for your SPG ( or mayb even 18) and route it alongside your inflator hose. With proper hose management its a nice neat configuration. When you want to check your SPG it's right there on the inflator assembly where you can see it by simply looking down slightly. Nothing to unclip or reclip. It's not in the way of the deco bottles and it doesn't add to any "clutter"

Works for for both tech and rec rigs

Cheers

I run mine to the lower ring , and practice checking it(unclip/clip) , but for the most part i just grab the gauge and look dowm . Am i one of the few that can do this , or so other do this too.

Johnny Richards:
I prefer the SPG routed under my left shoulder harness and clipped to the inside of my top left d-ring. In this position there's no need to unclip the SPG to look at it and I don't find it cluttered since I've separated my very small backup lights to half d-rings located below my stage d-rings. I've never considered the argument of this configuration as an entanglement point to be valid.

As always, this is a matter of trial and error and personal choice.

Johnny Richards
www.cavediving.com

Johnny I'd say you have a method that works well for you that has a lot of experience backing it up. I've done it this way,and on my left hip d-ring,and with all things practice makes perfect.

Gilless:
Another option is to get a 21inch hose for your SPG ( or mayb even 18) and route it alongside your inflator hose. With proper hose management its a nice neat configuration. When you want to check your SPG it's right there on the inflator assembly where you can see it by simply looking down slightly. Nothing to unclip or reclip. It's not in the way of the deco bottles and it doesn't add to any "clutter"

Works for for both tech and rec rigs

Cheers

I've done it this way before and it seems to work fine. It was easy to read, my buddy had no issues seeing it and it didn't get in the way. However, I normally just keep it clipped off like the rest of my DIR buddies for a standardized gear setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom