Special Training Class Announcement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King_Neptune

Founder
Reaction score
Mike Kane (MHK on Scubaboard) and possibly additional GUE instructors will be leading a GUE DIR-Fundamentals course at Joe's Falling Rock Quarry in LaGrange, Kentucky from June 13-15, 2003. LaGrange is about a half hour northeast of Louisville, or an hour and 15 minutes northwest of Lexington. It is an easy one hour drive down I-71 from Cincinnati, and two hours from Indianapolis.

If you are on this list, you've heard how beneficial this course is. It provides a foundation for all divers to improve their skills regardless of their current level of training. For those wishing to pursue GUE Overhead and Tech courses, this course is required, will make you better prepared, and will give you basic skills to practice in advance. It was invaluable that I took DIR Fundamentals prior to Cave 1; we moved so much more rapidly because the basics were already done.

The fee for this course is $325. Students will receive a certificate of completion from GUE at the conclusion. Students must also purchase and read "Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving". Lodging has been arranged at $50 per night (single or double), or you can camp out at the quarry. Admission to the quarry is $15 per day, and you must also pay for air fills, food, equipment rental, and any other incidentals.

A deposit of $150 is required to hold your place in the course (refundable until May 29). Payment in full is due on June 6. You can call New Horizons at (859) 277-1234 and provide a credit card for the deposit, or you may send a check payable to "New Horizons" to:

Ed Gabe - DIRF course
New Horizons Diving and Travel
2577 Regency Road
Lexington, KY 40503-2920

Please contact GUEDiver with questions or call New Horizons at (859) 277-1234.

=-)

Thank you for posting the information.

I will be in this class and I hope that we have a large KPP turn out.

Chad

I too will be in the class...

I will be wearing my neon pink split fins, sucking off my 18" regulator hose, and diving inverted just for the fun of it.

I hope MHK will be kind to me as I'm young and dumb...but plan on having a lot of fun....oh yeah, almost forgot about the whole education thing too...

If Big T is in it he's going to be taking most of the heat from the instructors! They aren't going to have the time or desire to give anyone else a "hard time." Wish I could attend (for the show if nothing else :) )but I'll be in Saba--YEAH!
Ber :bunny:

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...
If Big T is in it he's going to be taking most of the heat from the instructors! They aren't going to have the time or desire to give anyone else a "hard time." Wish I could attend (for the show if nothing else :) )but I'll be in Saba--YEAH!
Ber :bunny:

I have the same dilema, getting married followed by a week in Bonaire and a week in Curacao, or I i could attend the class. Actually i wouldn't mind the additional training, but two weeks in the carribean is way better than a weekend in a quarry, especially considering I will be getting married on the 14th.

For those who have signed (or are about to sign up) up for this course, GUE just announced a new DIR Fundamentals Student Package. Click on this link and scroll down the page to check it out at http://www.gue.com/catalog/order.

I have deposits holding spaces from several students; let me know if you have any questions.

Just wondering if this class is being sponsored by New Horizons why this is not considered a post that indorses a privately owned scuba shop?? I have seen post pull for this reason and wondered if New Horizons was making any type of money from this class then why is it not being classified with the others??
- A J

A. J. Shark once bubbled...
Just wondering if this class is being sponsored by New Horizons why this is not considered a post that indorses a privately owned scuba shop?? I have seen post pull for this reason and wondered if New Horizons was making any type of money from this class then why is it not being classified with the others??
- A J

A. J. Shark I don't have any official word, but last I knew (based on my DIR-F course last weekend) GUE charges $250 per student which I'm pretty sure goes to the instructors. The extra $75 goes toward the cost of the instructors travel/expenses so I doubt very much anyone is making any type of money from this class except the instructors, and they sure aren't getting rich on us! To me this post really is in the interest of those Board members who want the training.

Just my 2 cents though ...

~<//><

As I said "just wondering" I do not know, but I do know that other things of this nature have been posted and then taken off the board, these things I believe were beneficial to the board members as well.
Just my 2 cents!!
- A J

A. J. Shark once bubbled...
As I said "just wondering" I do not know, but I do know that other things of this nature have been posted and then taken off the board, these things I believe were beneficial to the board members as well.
Just my 2 cents!!
- A J

Fair enough!

Hummm ... between us that makes 4 cents - right?

~<//><

P.S. I wonder how much we could raise if we kept this up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom