Speargun Target Practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

where abouts in the country do you live
I'm in Orlando, but my home port is Jupiter. Was supposed to be diving again tomorrow but TS Alex is spreading out larger, and we'd have to head in after 1 tank before the winds make it nasty so it's just not worth the prep & travel time/$$.

But I do dive the gulf side and middle east florida and I'm fine with 10ft of viz and freeshafting. As you start taking shots and missing a couple, you'll start to understand the world wide motto ........

Gun's don't kill.....
Accuracy Does !!

And that's why I freeshaft in low viz also.

I'm in Orlando, but my home port is Jupiter. Was supposed to be diving again tomorrow but TS Alex is spreading out larger, and we'd have to head in after 1 tank before the winds make it nasty so it's just not worth the prep & travel time/$$.

But I do dive the gulf side and middle east florida and I'm fine with 10ft of viz and freeshafting. As you start taking shots and missing a couple, you'll start to understand the world wide motto ........

Gun's don't kill.....
Accuracy Does !!

And that's why I freeshaft in low viz also.

Yeah, obviously I'm just starting out, so I really don't know. And I've never really looked hard at what everyone does in Jersey, I just can't remember anyone doing that.

I like the idea of the speed loading kit, but I'm definitely not at a place to freeshaft anytime soon.. I'll take some pictures tonight and see what you guys think I can and can't do.

Here are pictures... I had thought this was a 38 special, but after measuring it it's actually a JBL Sawed Off Magnum. It's 44" long to the tip of the gun and 54" with the shaft in.

There are 3 - 9/16" bands... not sure to use 1, 2, or all 3? (I took one off in the picture just to see how it came off).

Online it says the guns range is 30', but the line only stretches to just a hair under 15' (which is fine by me... can't remember the last time I saw 30' viz).

So would a speed loading kit work with this or no? I'll try diving with it in the quarry a few times and see what kind of rats nest I make... it already feels a little cumbersome as is. What's the best way to tie this off? Add a leash to the eye on the bottom of the handle?

Attachments

• 20220602_194702.jpg
    20220602_194702.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220602_194706.jpg
    20220602_194706.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220602_194720.jpg
    20220602_194720.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220602_194727.jpg
    20220602_194727.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220602_194732.jpg
    20220602_194732.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220602_194756.jpg
    20220602_194756.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 54
The euro guns are measured from the notch to the band opening on the muzzle in cm. That will give you an estimate of the comparative length. Probably going to end up around an 80.

So would a speed loading kit work with this or no?
I believe it would. On the bottom of the muzzle, it has the horn that I was mentioning. The line release is on the side, so if you eventually do go to freeshafting, you could put a spare shaft on the other side, but I don't think you'll be to carry two spares. Not a big deal, though.

The speedload kit comes with monofilament, yours looks like it's currently rigged with dyneema. Probably more monofilament than you would need, but it's easy enough to cut off what you don't need. In the second picture, it looks like there is a metal attachment just behind the horn that the dyneema is tied off to. If your line is in good shape, you could probably re-use it initially. The speed load kit comes with the monofilament, crimps, and two elastic loops. So, you could simply zip tie one of the loops to the dyneema and use that until it's time to replace.
What's the best way to tie this off? Add a leash to the eye on the bottom of the handle?
I don't tie mine off to me, but mostly what I see is adding a small length of line and a bolt snap. Then you can clip it off to a D ring. With spare shafts, my speargun sinks, so I can place on the bottom for a minute. With no spare shafts, it will float, so I run my arm through the bands while putting a fish on the stringer.

The euro guns are measured from the notch to the band opening on the muzzle in cm. That will give you an estimate of the comparative length. Probably going to end up around an 80.
So that would essentially be about the length of the "pull" of a gun (in cm)? Which notch do you go to? (I'm assuming you mean notch on the shaft itself when locked in)? I was initially comparing it to other guns by total length so 44" would be 111cm.. so I knew that couldn't be right.

20220602_194727 - Copy.jpg 20220602_194720 - Copy.jpg

I believe it would. On the bottom of the muzzle, it has the horn that I was mentioning. The line release is on the side, so if you eventually do go to freeshafting, you could put a spare shaft on the other side, but I don't think you'll be to carry two spares. Not a big deal, though.

The speedload kit comes with monofilament, yours looks like it's currently rigged with dyneema. Probably more monofilament than you would need, but it's easy enough to cut off what you don't need. In the second picture, it looks like there is a metal attachment just behind the horn that the dyneema is tied off to. If your line is in good shape, you could probably re-use it initially. The speed load kit comes with the monofilament, crimps, and two elastic loops. So, you could simply zip tie one of the loops to the dyneema and use that until it's time to replace.

I don't tie mine off to me, but mostly what I see is adding a small length of line and a bolt snap. Then you can clip it off to a D ring. With spare shafts, my speargun sinks, so I can place on the bottom for a minute. With no spare shafts, it will float, so I run my arm through the bands while putting a fish on the stringer.
Monofilament is a little better.. yeah?

The plan would be to just make something so I can clip off to a hip when ascending and not have to worry about it. Would never keep it attached while shooting. Would the best attachment point be the eye on the bottom of the grip? I'm not sure what that's made out of..

Monofilament is a little better.. yeah?
Possibly. I think monafilament is a bit stiffer, so may be less likely to turn into a rat's nest, but lots of divers do use dyneema. You'll also sometimes see bands tied with dyneema, but this is generally not a good idea for notched shafts. The notch is often too sharp, so the dyneema doesn't last.
Would the best attachment point be the eye on the bottom of the grip? I'm not sure what that's made out of..
Yes, I can't think of any other purpose for that eye other than attaching something to tie off the gun. As you won't tie this off while shooting, it doesn't need to be real strong, but I imagine the handle is plenty strong as it sees some significant force during firing.

Possibly. I think monafilament is a bit stiffer, so may be less likely to turn into a rat's nest,.
I agree with BB. Mono is stiffer than dyneema. That's good on a short range gun because the Mono take's a "Set" and greatly reduces tangles. But you give up longer range like using a reel on your gun to let the fish run a bit and tire out. I have a quick attachment line system on my gun.

Many year's ago a shop was selling a line product called "Mono-Spec". It was a thin mono inside with a Spectra braided fiber outside jacket which is similar to Kevlar. It gives you the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I have not seen it sold in years. I purchased a reel of it for my personal replacement stash,,so I haven't looked around the net lately (like fishing pages, etc) if it can be found still.

I agree with BB. Mono is stiffer than dyneema. That's good on a short range gun because the Mono take's a "Set" and greatly reduces tangles. But you give up longer range like using a reel on your gun to let the fish run a bit and tire out. I have a quick attachment line system on my gun.

Many year's ago a shop was selling a line product called "Mono-Spec". It was a thin mono inside with a Spectra braided fiber outside jacket which is similar to Kevlar. It gives you the best of both worlds. Unfortunately I have not seen it sold in years. I purchased a reel of it for my personal replacement stash,,so I haven't looked around the net lately (like fishing pages, etc) if it can be found still.
I think at some point I'll switch it out to mono, and someone else had suggested a release on the line (like this; South African Super Stretch Shock Cord). Just in case do get tangled.

I can't imaging shooting anything more than 15' away anyway. Can't a mono line be attached to a reel? I'm getting way ahead of myself, but might as well ask about these things. Honestly I'd be ecstatic just to shoot a 13+" sea bass (although now I think they're out of season)..

Can't a mono line be attached to a reel? I'm getting way ahead of myself, but might as well ask about these things.
Stiffness of the mono (300-400 lb test typically) will work against it. You could probably get it on the reel, but it will take a set, so dyneema is typically used.

For reef fish/bottom fish, I usually only see reels in use for freedivers. The line wrap is typically not enough as the diver needs to return to the surface shortly after the shot. Either a reel, or a float line is typically used. I don't see it in use on scuba, though I guess there may be a use for it on pelagics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom