Speargun Target Practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all.

My son and I are starting to test the water getting into spearfishing. I'd like to build something that I can setup in the quarry for practice. I was thinking maybe get a few larger sponges tied to weights? I watched a few videos and saw the one where he used a plastic bag in the same manner. I've seen pictures of plywood, but I would think that would be bad for the shaft? What do you all do?

Another quick question. We're using a JBL 38 special. It has what I would call "slots" for multiple bands, but I don't see anyone using all the bands. What do people normally do? Just use one?

1654169748327.png

Buy a spare shaft and remove the flopper. Go to a carpet store and grab a piece of carpet for free out of their recycle bin. Roll it up and tie a line around it to secure the roll. Tie a weight to the bottom and have at it.

As for the notches on a shaft and using one or two bands, it all depends. I only use one band on my 60" shafts, but I keep the second band tethered down to the underside of my gun as a back up in case the primary band breaks. A shorter gun may allow you to use a stiffer rubber as the pull will be shorter letting you load it without too much effort, and consequently still giving you plenty of power. Typically more bands will provide more power for longer range shots.

Buy a spare shaft and remove the flopper. Go to a carpet store and grab a piece of carpet for free out of their recycle bin. Roll it up and tie a line around it to secure the roll. Tie a weight to the bottom and have at it.

As for the notches on a shaft and using one or two bands, it all depends. I only use one band on my 60" shafts, but I keep the second band tethered down to the underside of my gun as a back up in case the primary band breaks. A shorter gun may allow you to use a stiffer rubber as the pull will be shorter letting you load it without too much effort, and consequently still giving you plenty of power. Typically more bands will provide more power for longer range shots.

Should also add that any of our "real" spearfishing would be off NJ. So scuba diving (not free diving). Viz is usually 10'-30'. Everything I've read is more inclined to guys freediving. I don't see anyone using a float or a rig line where we would be diving.

I could always ask someone local, but the only time I see anyone is when we're on a boat heading out. I'm a good 3 hours from there.

Do you tie the gun off to yourself in case it gets pulled? How does that work.

Man, I just realized I know absolutley nothing but my son is so excited to try all this out and get into it.

a few larger sponges tied to weights?
There's one setup I've seen that's really easy, adjustable & cheap.
Get about a 1 gallon bag of 1 inch sized rock. Spray them down clean on the driveway. Put 3/4's of them them in an old pillow case and tie it loosely closed with a piece of rope, adding a loop to the rope. Get a kids sized foam floating kick board from Walmart. Use your electric turkey carving knife and cut the board in 2 fish shapes or just long triangles. Use a 2 attachment point " Y " on the bottom of the foam fish and then down line to your pillowcase loop. You can then adjust both the height of the fish as well as the amount of rocks in the pillow case to make it easy to transport but does the job. And your can tie one fish on top of the bottom fish for a dual target. Most let the speargun's line stop the shaft to avoid damage. I can't find the picture to show the final setup but there's plenty on youtube.

There's one setup I've seen that's really easy, adjustable & cheap.
Get about a 1 gallon bag of 1 inch sized rock. Spray them down clean on the driveway. Put 3/4's of them them in an old pillow case and tie it loosely closed with a piece of rope, adding a loop to the rope. Get a kids sized foam floating kick board from Walmart. Use your electric turkey carving knife and cut the board in 2 fish shapes or just long triangles. Use a 2 attachment point " Y " on the bottom of the foam fish and then down line to your pillowcase loop. You can then adjust both the height of the fish as well as the amount of rocks in the pillow case to make it easy to transport but does the job. And your can tie one fish on top of the bottom fish for a dual target. Most let the speargun's line stop the shaft to avoid damage. I can't find the picture to show the final setup but there's plenty on youtube.

I had not thought of carpet (thank @CuzzA) or foam board. They sell the boards at the "used to be a dollar" store. I might even have some old ones around somewhere for the pool.

Do you tie the gun off to yourself in case it gets pulled? How does that work when diving? Just keep a death grip on it and hope you don't shoot something bigger than you?

Should also add that any of our "real" spearfishing would be off NJ. So scuba diving (not free diving). Viz is usually 10'-30'. Everything I've read is more inclined to guys freediving. I don't see anyone using a float or a rig line where we would be diving.

I could always ask someone local, but the only time I see anyone is when we're on a boat heading out. I'm a good 3 hours from there.

Do you tie the gun off to yourself in case it gets pulled? How does that work.

Man, I just realized I know absolutley nothing but my son is so excited to try all this out and get into it.
No. Do not tie a gun to you. I tie a bolt snap to the handle so I can clip the gun off if I need both hands on my ascent, but otherwise just carry the gun. Big fish certainly have the ability to pull you. So do predators who take your fish. Both situations are rare as we are generally much bigger and stronger than most fish. But if you're in a bad situation you want to be able to let go of the gun. Unless the issue is with a shark, in which case cut the line and load a spare shaft so you can defend yourself.

Honestly the biggest thing to be concerned about if your buddy diving with someone is muzzle discipline. Don't attach a camera to the gun.

You don't need a float line. Get a one handed stringer and a flashlight and pointed knife. Use your line kit until you become proficient at closing the gap and stoning fish.

Remember you are a diver first so navigation and gas management are top priorities as fishing adds a distraction.

I had not thought of carpet (thank @CuzzA) or foam board. They sell the boards at the "used to be a dollar" store. I might even have some old ones around somewhere for the pool.

Do you tie the gun off to yourself in case it gets pulled? How does that work when diving? Just keep a death grip on it and hope you don't shoot something bigger than you?
Down side to styrofoam is you're going to be busting it up and likely polluting the area. If you want a fish shaped target I'd try and find a big sponge instead.

No. Do not tie a gun to you. I tie a bolt snap to the handle so I can clip the gun off if I need both hands on my ascent, but otherwise just carry the gun. Big fish certainly have the ability to pull you. So do predators who take your fish. Both situations are rare as we are generally much bigger and stronger than most fish. But if you're in a bad situation you want to be able to let go of the gun. Unless the issue is with a shark, in which case cut the line and load a spare shaft so you can defend yourself.

Honestly the biggest thing to be concerned about if your buddy diving with someone is muzzle discipline. Don't attach a camera to the gun.

You don't need a float line. Get a one handed stringer and a flashlight and pointed knife. Use your line kit until you become proficient at closing the gap and stoning fish.

Remember you are a diver first so navigation and gas management are top priorities as fishing adds a distraction.
Pretty much agree with this. I also tie a leash with a boltsnap to my speargun so it can be clipped off to a chest d-ring or to a drop line on the boat for the beginning or end of the dive. Don't clip it to yourself while actually shooting fish since you need to have the ability to let go/ ditch the gun in case a bigger (goliath grouper) fish decides to swoop in and take your speared fish and take you all for a ride toward a rusty opening to a wreck. Saw it happen to my dive buddy... Same is true with the stringer. I clip it off while it is empty but never when it has fish on it so it can be ditched easily in case of goliaths or sharks.

Down side to styrofoam is you're going to be busting it up and likely polluting the area. If you want a fish shaped target I'd try and find a big sponge instead.

I don't want to do that. The owner is nice enough to let me dive there, I want to keep it better than when I got there.

.... and a flashlight and pointed knife. Use your line kit until you become proficient at closing the gap and stoning fish.

What do you mean flashlight and pointed knife (I know what they are, but do you mean put them together some how?)... closing the gap and stoning means "stabbing / killing / finishing"? Line kit?

Agree 100% about nav and gas management. Since he's younger (24) and less experienced diving I'll probably just assume to babysit while he shoots and then I'll help him gather the catch. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

I don't want to do that. The owner is nice enough to let me dive there, I want to keep it better than when I got there.

What do you mean flashlight and pointed knife (I know what they are, but do you mean put them together some how?)... closing the gap and stoning means "stabbing / killing / finishing"? Line kit?

Agree 100% about nav and gas management. Since he's younger (24) and less experienced diving I'll probably just assume to babysit while he shoots and then I'll help him gather the catch. I'm sure we'll figure something out.
Meaning those are the only other tools you should need to bring besides safety gear. A pointed knife instead of a blunt knife can aid in dispatching (braining) a still frisky fish. Flashlight for looking under ledges, especially retieving fish that were able to hole up.

When first starting out I think it's wise to start with your line kit/line shafting. The limitation of the distance of the line forces new shooters to be better at closing the distance gap between themselves and the fish without spooking the target species. It also will aid in landing fish from poor shots (not stoning them dead instantly). Once proficient you can ditch the line and freeshaft, but I'd elect to go with a long gun so you have more ballast from longer shafts to keep fish from swimming away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom