Speargun Target Practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stiffness of the mono (300-400 lb test typically) will work against it. You could probably get it on the reel, but it will take a set, so dyneema is typically used.

For reef fish/bottom fish, I usually only see reels in use for freedivers. The line wrap is typically not enough as the diver needs to return to the surface shortly after the shot. Either a reel, or a float line is typically used. I don't see it in use on scuba, though I guess there may be a use for it on pelagics.

A reel wasn't anywhere in my immediate future anyway... I hope by then I have would have a better understanding what the hell I'm doing. (I mean, I can hope anyway!).

So that would essentially be about the length of the "pull" of a gun (in cm)? Which notch do you go to? (I'm assuming you mean notch on the shaft itself when locked in)? I was initially comparing it to other guns by total length so 44" would be 111cm.. so I knew that couldn't be right.

View attachment 726276 View attachment 726275

Monofilament is a little better.. yeah?

The plan would be to just make something so I can clip off to a hip when ascending and not have to worry about it. Would never keep it attached while shooting. Would the best attachment point be the eye on the bottom of the grip? I'm not sure what that's made out of..

Measured from those points I get 25.5", so I guess it's the equivalent to a ~ 65cm gun? The notches are 5mm apart, so 70cm and 75cm.. I'm just not sure if that's correct?

I am not sure if this has been covered above but my question is: To be able to do freeshafting, one needs an enclosed track gun, is this correct? I can't see how this can done on an open track gun without having to secure the shaft to the gun with the mono line.

Thank you all for the awesome information here.

Free shafting is typically done on a gun with a closed muzzle. Enclosed track guns can be used for freeshafting, but that is less common.

The Op does not want a reel,

He does not want to free shaft in limited visibility unless he is solo diving and nobody else is underwater and even then it is not necessary. It is very dangerous to be shooting an untethered shaft when it can hit things well out of the range of visibility.

Nobody puts monofilament on a reel when spearfishing.

Nobody wants a reel on a scuba gun if you are shooting small or moderate sized fish. It would be very disadvantageous in limited visibility on a wreck in NJ.

The loop on the handle is a good attachment point for a ring or a clip or a longline clip.

..... my question is: To be able to do freeshafting, one needs an enclosed track gun, ....
Enclosed track is the most common form of freeshafting. But guns with enclosed muzzles like Biller, SS, JBL & others can be used too even though they are considered Open Track. Even Riffe and some customs will utilize a very strong magnet embedded in the muzzle track that will somewhat hold the shaft in place. But with ANY gun, bumps, drops, etc could possibly activate/dislodge a trigger/shaft attachment resulting in an un-wanted firing. Most spearos consider any gun that you can hold straight down or even upside down that will securely hold the shaft loaded as able to freeshaft.

Well we have differing opinions on the popularity of enclosed track guns for freeshafting. I suppose it doesn't mater who is actually right, it can be done with either type of gun.

One issue with freeshafting with an enclosed track gun is that the shafts are typically more expensive since they have raised fins rather than notches.

Another potential issue with using an enclosed track gun and raised fins is that it is possible to get a shaft stuck very firmly in a fish. If the diver is using a notched shaft, it is generally much easier to force the shaft all the way through the fish and allow removal of the shaft.

I am not sure if this has been covered above but my question is: To be able to do freeshafting, one needs an enclosed track gun, is this correct? I can't see how this can done on an open track gun without having to secure the shaft to the gun with the mono line.
In every speargun, at a minimum, the spear needs to be secured at both ends. The rear is alway secured by the trigger mechanism. The front is secured in several different ways. Enclosed track, enclosed muzzle, magnetic muzzle, or line wrap. Enclosed track holds the full length of the spear. The others only hold the front and rear. Of those, only the line wrap is not easily converted to freeshafting. I guess it’s possible by using a short loop of line, it’s just not as common.

Of the other methods, the enclosed track provides for best accuracy, especially with multiple bands. With an open track gun, overpowering can lead to shaft whip, where the shaft flexes and wobbles as it leaves the gun. Robbing power and accuracy. This is why you don’t often see more than two (sometimes three) bands on an open track. In most cases, one is enough. A second band is primarily for backup, but can also extend range a bit. Those longer shots tend to be lower percentage success rate shots.

Biller has a semi closed muzzle, allows shaft to be snapped into place rather than muzzle loaded.
Biller will also take JBL notched shafts but not vice versa.
Freeshafting can be and is done with just about everything.
Enclosed track shafts must remain very true or can bind.

Attachments

• AB-Biller-Padauk-Wood-Special-Speargun-muzzle.jpg
    AB-Biller-Padauk-Wood-Special-Speargun-muzzle.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 63

Back
Top Bottom