Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFeenD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in the northeast, and as a result am looking often to northeast diving sites such as charters out of jersey to provide me with my diving fix. I notice, however, that many divers and dive charters always clammer on about spearfishing, and how many lobster someone can bring up on a dive.

Now this really pisses me off. I understand people like to catch a fish or two, and like to eat what they catch, but sometimes I am just absolutely disgusted that the only thing some people think about it how much life they can destroy. What about me, and other divers like me, that want to go onto a wreck and see all the life majestically on display. I would love to drop onto a reef and see so many fish and inverts that i cant not smile. Sometimes, i feel like this isnt possible though, because of all the knuckleheads with silly weapons.

I know, I know. Spearfishers will probably now assert their free right to take what is legal and how they are really helping the populations of animals (at least that is BS my brother in law spouts about land hunting). But I retort, what about my right to see **** tons of marine life as they are? I always see pictures of the oblivious folks holding up their catch like they are some hero, when really they are pathetic abusers of nature and technology.

Now that I have said my piece, I want to see what everyone else thinks. Convince me that spearfishing isnt really a problem, and that it isnt affecting my enjoyment, so that I can discontinue harboring ill feelings towards spearfishing.

Thanks!
::steps off soapbox::

one should never assume to change your views but to only share theirs. i live in the center of the US and do a lot of land hunting and some spearfishing. all i can share is what i see, on the land end of things not only do hunters take the place of natural preditors that (people) have replaced but the largest amount of financial support for wildlife comes from hunters. as for spearfishing, at least here, i think it is harder than with a pole and bait. all that being said there are and will always be abuse to the limits and laws that most of us live by and promote. all i ask is that you do some research on you own before you condem a large segment of the population. i have no intent to make you into a hunter only to offer that views other than your own are ok too.

The effect of individual recreational hunters - spearfishers I imagine too - on non-endangered animal populations is pretty trivial nowadays, if not beneficial as armpower says. If you want to get outraged about something, get outraged about fishing boats that yank up thousands of fish, of which shocking proportions wind up wasted, not a dude with a spear who gets one and eats it on his own dining table. That's about as ecologically sound and natural a food procurement process as can be imagined (minus the scuba gear, but that only put the hunter in a new environment, it didn't make him substantially more effective). I say this as someone not particularly interested in either land hunting or spearfishing.

You can avoid the impact of spearfishers by not diving with them, or by requesting that they not hunt when you're diving together. I think most divers would respect that.

I...... I always see pictures of the oblivious folks holding up their catch like they are some hero, when really they are pathetic abusers of nature and technology.
::

I agree that there is often a conflict between user groups. However, hook and line recreational fisherman are much more destructive due to their sheer numbers as well as the tons of lost line left on wrecks and also release mortality of undersized fish. Of course commercial fishing gear is more efficient and can have even greater negative consequences.

Recreational divers using spearguns to take carefully selected (and legal sized game) and divers that hand catch lobster (without traps, trawls and bait) are probably the most ecologically sound means to collect animals for human consumption.

Of course if you are against the harvest from the entiire Ocean, none of this matters, but spearfsihing really is very low on the scale of impacts. It is very selective, has almost zero by-catch and is sustainable if game laws and common sense are adhered to.

I disagree that spearfishing has absolutely not impact. In states where spearfishing isn't very prevalent, sure. Five spearfishermen working a state aren't going to have a noticeable effect. However here on overcrowded Oahu where it seems everyone wants to fish and provide for themselves, their neighbors, and everyone else, I see two groups of people going out and catching fish; the people with boats going for deep sea tuna, billfish, and ono, and the spearfishermen going for small reef fish. The line fishermen in shallow waters sit on shore for days without a bite except maybe an eel. I can only figure because the spearfishermen are picking the last, smart fish from the reef. This is classic fishing down a population. The only places where I see large gamefish like ulua are inside marine protected areas.

I can understand why this opinion gets under people's skin. Many of you are fishermen, I even used to fish, every day in fact. In the case of Oahu, commercial fishermen aren't targeting ulua; they're going offshore for tuna. When lots of people are on the water targeting the largest, most prolific breeders to hold up for a picture, there is going to be an impact. There has been enough research published to show that recreational fishing has an impact. I've since listened and hung up my fishing rod. I never took pride in a full stringer either, but I couldn't morally be lumped in with the people who do. All I can ask of you is take only what you need for yourself.

I do my best to avoid spearfishermen when diving. It seems the first thought some divers have when getting in the water is where is my gun? Some people will shoot anything that moves. I've had numerous dives ruined by people who were spearfishing.
I was once diving off Delaware during the two weeks of the year in which Tautog season is closed and before getting in the water I notified the Captain of this, who then informed everyone on board. Sure enough somebody came up at the end of the dive with a 10 pound tog. The guy claimed he thought it was a Black Sea Bass. :no:
Another time in Florida some dude came out of the water at the jetty having speared a stringer of fish. He then proceeded to walk right past a sign saying NO SPEARFISHING! :shocked2:
And then there was the time in the Bahamas when someone shot a fish while I was trying to take a picture of it. On that same trip there was a father and son team who were zipping around on scooters shooting as many fish as they could. During one of the dives my buddy and I found a BIG grouper hiding under a ledge. As we left the area here comes the father and son on their scooters and we knew that fish was dead. It was very depressing to see the highlight of my dive on the filet table when I got back on the boat. Those two jerks already had a cooler full of fish.

Yeah, some spearfishermen are a**holes.

We take only fish that are legal, in size and in season. Purely for personal consumtion only. Our group would never break a rule of size and creel limit. I firmly agree with Erku. Just watch one film on the effects of commercial fisherman or whalers (that I am appaled about), and the extreme waste that they produce. I believe your comments (which I respect) may change. When we take a large fish, it does help the other fish in the school become the Alpha in the species, adding to the strength of the school.

I know you don't agree with me. That's OK. I'm now open to your point of view from this post and opinion. If you are a vegan, consume no fish, meat or dairy, then your point of view is clearly understandable. If you do consume these products, you need to consider your post. Fire away, blindfold is on....

Safe diving to you.

I disagree that spearfishing has absolutely not impact. In states where spearfishing isn't very prevalent, sure. Five spearfishermen working a state aren't going to have a noticeable effect. However here on overcrowded Oahu where it seems everyone wants to fish and provide for themselves, their neighbors, and everyone else, I see two groups of people going out and catching fish; the people with boats going for deep sea tuna, billfish, and ono, and the spearfishermen going for small reef fish. The line fishermen in shallow waters sit on shore for days without a bite except maybe an eel. I can only figure because the spearfishermen are picking the last, smart fish from the reef. This is classic fishing down a population. The only places where I see large gamefish like ulua are inside marine protected areas.

I spearfish every week weather permitting. I agree with you that it can impact fish populations. I see it here in Belize where the commercial spearfishermen take undersized snappers, grunts, hogfish, grouper...etc. Inside the reef in the shallow areas you're hard pressed to see fish bigger than your hand. If you do, you only see a flash of its tail as it dives into its hole.
The problem here in Belize is no regulation though. Outside the reef we still see lots of bigger fish because the local commercial guys, fortunately, must have found that it's not cost effective to use big guns with floatlines or reels, and the slings they use won't hold a big fish in mid water....thank God.
When we go for bigger fish it seems the impact is little to none. They get smart real fast and it's hard to get close. Sometimes I'll spend 3-4 hours working a school of snapper just to get one or two. Or none.
(this is all free diving, no scuba)

Everytime this get brought up, recreational guys always defend themselves by blaming the commercial fishers and visa versa until nobody blames themselves for their contributions to the problem. The fact is that both sides contribute to the decline of a fishery; the relatively few commercial fishers each remove lots of animals while the many any recreational fishers each remove a few animals, but collectively they add up. As a recreational fisher, your opinion will probably not have an impact on the commercial operations, but you can alter the way you do things.

For example, when you take the largest fish in the school, it does not open up room for other fish to take its place. Instead, you have damaged the ecology of your target in two ways. First, you removed the "large, old fish" genes from the pool, effectively selecting for smaller animals that might live shorter lives. This is fishing down a population. Second, you removed the largest, most fertile fish. The way most fish reproduction works is that the largest, oldest fish send out the most gametes. By selecting and consuming the smaller fish (not trophies), you will be effecting the population less by leaving the best reproducers to continue reproducing. It is the smaller animals that have the greatest chance of being taken by predators anyway.

Everytime this get brought up, recreational guys always defend themselves by blaming the commercial fishers and visa versa until nobody blames themselves for their contributions to the problem. The fact is that both sides contribute to the decline of a fishery; the relatively few commercial fishers each remove lots of animals while the many any recreational fishers each remove a few animals, but collectively they add up. As a recreational fisher, your opinion will probably not have an impact on the commercial operations, but you can alter the way you do things.

For example, when you take the largest fish in the school, it does not open up room for other fish to take its place. Instead, you have damaged the ecology of your target in two ways. First, you removed the "large, old fish" genes from the pool, effectively selecting for smaller animals that might live shorter lives. This is fishing down a population. Second, you removed the largest, most fertile fish. The way most fish reproduction works is that the largest, oldest fish send out the most gametes. By selecting and consuming the smaller fish (not trophies), you will be effecting the population less by leaving the best reproducers to continue reproducing. It is the smaller animals that have the greatest chance of being taken by predators anyway.

Believe what you want, but I believe your opinions are wrong. Collectively, recreational fishing will not even come close to the impact of the fleets of commercial fishing 'processing plants' that sail the oceans. They throw back more "trash" fish than we can ever catch, let alone harvest. Investigate this.

Taking the largest fish does let the second fish in line fight for the top spot. The oldest, strongest fish in the school does eventually die, and the next in line takes it's spot. That's nature. Remember, every fish in the ocean is always consumed by other fish. That's nature too. Sorry if you don't feel this is the balance, but it is. Investigate this also.

I'll ask the same question. Are you a vegan? Or do you consume meat, dairy and/or fish? I would be interested in your answer.

Safe diving to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom